Runny Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylady2

Reaction score
I do rabbit rescue and rescued a rabbit last Thursday from one of our local shelters. This poor guy had fleas, teeth issues, eye discharge, etc.

After a trip to the vet, she burred teeth, gave us Baytril, Metacam and eye meds, he seems to be improving, but he is drinking alot of water and I think is urinating alot

Then he urinates on the carpet and licks it. I have never seen this. I am concerned this may be a kidney issue.

Any ideas? I have another appointment with the vet on Monday.

Any help, I would appreciate. Slavetoabunny is my rescue buddy.

I have no idea why he would lick the rug after he urinated on it. Maybe there is a component in the urine that his body is craving ..I am interested in knowing and will look around for an answer but right now just don't know.

The drinking could be his kidneys but also be the the effects of an infection. Rabbits often drink a lot when they have an active infection elsewhere in their bodies

My rabbit, Beau, who has really severe dental problems with gum infections has no kidney issues (just had bloodwork)but is a big drinker of water. I have often thought it was related to theinflammation in his mouth but didn't know for sure.

The peeing a lot is a result of drinking a lot. ( or kidney problems)

It could be many things but it would help a lot if you had bloodwork done . It at least could tell you the state of his kidneys.

I've read a few schools of thought on this -- one from another rescuer who thinks three of her rescued bunnies did this as a survival instinct after being deprived of clean water so often.

A rabbit behaviorist believes that it's a survival instinct to keep predators from easily smelling the rabbit's presence -- they clean up after themselves when urinating outside their regular area.

And another seems to think its just a habit of particularly clean rabbits.

They all seem to agree that it's not a health issue -- it's just gross. :yuck

EDIT TO ADD: And I agree with AngieLuv that drinking a lot of water (and from my own observations re: rabbits dipping their feet in water) does signal a health issue.

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks

I will call first thing in the morning and our vet is so good at working these little ones in. His teeth could still be an issue. He eats pellets, some greens, but no hay. He puts it in his mouth and lets it go. It's so hard when you don't know their background. It is such a neglect case. I can't believe the condition he was in at the shelter. It was an owner surrender. He is the sweetest boy.

Anyway, I think bloodwork is in order.

Thanks so much.

Thanks to everyone taking time to respond to this issue. I am stumped. Our vet is great and we don't hesitate to get our fosters taken care of. Vinny's next scheduled visit is Monday, but we have concerns which may need to be addressed before then. I worry so much that these rescue buns have organ damage due to their past.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Did he have a head x-ray? He may appear to be improving because of the pain relief and antibiotics, but I'd be worried given the eye discharge, reluctance to chew hay, etc, that he may have a tooth root or other dental issue if they did the work without an x-ray. If he had an x-ray, though, he just may need a little more time to heal.

The Metacam can restrict blood to the kidneys, he NEEDS to be drinking a lot of water with his doses. When Pipp was bothered by the Metacam (before I knew not to give her any when she was at all dehydrated), she urinated more often but in smaller amounts, the urine was concentrated, and she was uncomfortable while urinating.

I THINK with kidney problems not caused by the drug, the urine is often unusually clear.

If he was abused/neglected and didn't get a good supply of water, his kidneys could be damaged from dehydration, and bloodwork will tell that tale. Not sure what that means re: his Metacam, though. Are you noticing it being any worse soon after his dose?

sas :?

I was suspecting the Metacam, but now since you mention it, his urine is unusually clear. Thanks for taking the time. I will be calling the vet within the next twenty minutes. I may be overly cautious, but that's how we are with these precious little ones. We love them like our own and know how critical situations can be.

I agree that bloodwork is in order. I like to get bloodwork every year for my bunnies just to keep an eye on them, and the first thing I do when I adopt is to take them in for their first annual appointment. Even if you don't find anything, it establishes a "baseline" reading for comparison in the future (and being a scientist, I can't help but love that!).

Just wanted to add that dropping the hay is definitely a signal of a dental issue.

Beau pathetically picks up hay and holds it in his mouth unable to chew or do anything with it. he really wants to but just cannot do it. He also does this with veggies . trys to bring the stalk into his mouth and it goes nowhere.

Hope the vet visit brings answers :)

I just heard from bunnylady2 that Vinnie is spending the night at the vet. They are doing x-rays and bloodwork on the little guy, but we don't have anything definitive yet. I know that they will take good care of him.

Please keep our Vinnie in your thoughts.

Vinnie has had two molars removed and the good news is his blood work is great. He will be rechecked in the morning to see if he can come home. I am sure worried about him, but we have the best vet. She assured me she is doing eveything she can. I guess all the water drinking was because of the teeth. I just knew he wasn't right even though I have only had him a week. Such a sweet little guy.

Thanks so much for all your support and I hope to have good news tomorrow.

Vinnie is home. He ate 3/4 of his pellets through the night. He is a little trooper. He hasn't eaten anything but two Craisins since he's been home, but at least he has interest in food.

If he doesn't eat later I will give him Critical Care. I will keep you all posted this week.

Thanks for caring.

I'm so glad Vinny is home and eating a little even if it's just craisins.

Do you have any pictures of Vinny? I'd love to see him.

Susan
hase335.gif
hase268.gif
hase292.gif

I will take some. I have been so busywith rescue I have not taken the time. He's such a doll baby. It looks like he has eaten some pellets while I was gone. I feel like I can breathe!;)

Aww...Vinny looks so much better. He was such a sad looking boy the first time I saw him. You are doing such a great job with him Liz. Let me know if I can help.

Latest posts

Back