ruined hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
Midas escaped his cage and dug his way into my hay box and peed all over the hay. This is the hay I ordered from kleenmama and it cost me a fortune. Is there any way to salvage it? I really don't want to throw it all away. (I tried seperating the wet from the dry but its almost impossible)

Oh no, so sorry to hear Midas did a naughty thing. This is a tough one...

If hay is wet, it can become susceptible to mold over time, which is dangerous to feed. How wet is it? Maybe if you can lay the dry and damp-ish hay out to dry under the sun in a warm room it, it can be salvaged? Another issue you may encounter is simply bunny pickiness... some buns smell urine on their hay and will just ignore it and eat around it until they find a satisfactory piece of hay to munch.

Anything soaking wet, I would try to just separate out and toss...

It's tough, I know. I love Kleenmama's hay too. Shipping cost me an arm, while the hay cost me my leg. :(

I'm with Kirbyultra on this - I think you can try to dry it out as much as possible. Also, anything you think may be wet, remove right now and use in his litter box. He'll pee on it anyway, but he might be able to pick out some of the clean pieces first. And if you use it right away you won't have to worry about mold.

bunnylove817 wrote:
Midas escaped his cage and dug his way into my hay box and peed all over the hay. This is the hay I ordered from kleenmama and it cost me a fortune. Is there any way to salvage it? I really don't want to throw it all away. (I tried seperating the wet from the dry but its almost impossible)
might try using the tainted grass in the poop box,,i use timothy/orchard grass-anyway,,but you don,t want to put the tainted grass in the hay bin,,sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Back