rue-dini!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragynflye

Reaction score
i have an escape artist on my hands! yesterday, nut puppet was running amok in the living room. i heard the click click click of a water bottle coming from the playroom. since rue has a water bowl in her cage, i went to investigate. sure enough, there was rue, sitting in puppet's cage, drinking his water and eating his food! i looked over her pen, but couldn't figure out how she had gotten out. i thought that maybe the door wasn't fastened tight enough, and she'd squeezed her fluffy little self through. so, i put nut puppet back in his cage and rue back in her pen. i made sure her door was good and secure, and put a small stack of treats outside where it would tempt her. i got sidetracked painting with goose, but sure enough, a few minutes later i felt a little bunny nose nudging my toes! rue's pen is a nic pen, two high, with a roof over the shelf, so she can't hop out. the door is secure, and there are no gaps she can wiggle through. the only thing i can figure is, she is lifting it up and scooting under! :shock: so, for the time being, rue is getting locked in the bathroom while puppet is out for his play time. they're both still young, but i certainly don't want to risk my poor tiny rue trying to pop out flemish giant babies! we've been looking at flooring options for once the two are bonded and nut puppet moves in with rue, since he could probably pee right through the rugs lining the pen. now i'm adding another requirement to the floor- something we can attach the pen to so it can't be lifted! we're going to lowe's this weekend. i think we're going to get a piece of plywood and cover it with linoleum. that would work..... right?!

Hi did you use the NIC panels? If so are they the ones with the bigger holes? I understand some bunnies can actually get through them.

In my cage for Winston & Vega I actually used the NIC panels on the bottom then covered them with a type of cheap panelling I got from Home Depot. They cut them for me in the sizes I needed. I also put ceramic tiles over the panelling as Winston has very bad litter habits so it's much easier to clean.

Daisy Mae's cage I didn't use the panels for the floor I bought cheap type of woven carpets from Walmart a couple of years ago and use them. She has very good litter box habits.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi did you use the NIC panels? If so are they the ones with the bigger holes? I understand some bunnies can actually get through them.

In my cage for Winston & Vega I actually used the NIC panels on the bottom then covered them with a type of cheap panelling I got from Home Depot. They cut them for me in the sizes I needed. I also put ceramic tiles over the panelling as Winston has very bad litter habits so it's much easier to clean.

Daisy Mae's cage I didn't use the panels for the floor I bought cheap type of woven carpets from Walmart a couple of years ago and use them. She has very good litter box habits.

Susan:)
Oh yes, its twue! This is how my hairball Elton bonded himself to Nelson by his own accord, lol...Squished right thru the NIC grids. Now that they are both in the NIC cageI have tacked some of the smaller grid's around the bottom part of the cage and removed all shelves and ramps until Elton grows some or else he escapes when I don't want him to.

yeah, i used the ones with the small squares around the bottom, and the ones with the bigger squares around the top where she can't get to them, just for the extra height. i didn't even think about her squeeze herself out the holes, i was just worried about her getting her head stuck!

i think bonding the two of them will be easy once the time comes. they're always laying along side each other on the opposite sides of the bars.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Are the cages together? Keep in mind breeding can happen through NIC bars. Bunns can be very crafty. :)
seriously? you're joking, right?!? i mean, how is that even possible?? i can't even wrap my mind around the logistics that involves! they're still too young, right? i mean, rue isn't even three months yet, and nut puppet is almost four. please tell me they are too young!

Back