Ruby's wheezing when she rests....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight): Polish (?) mix, white/brown, approx. 4lbs.

Sex: female.

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: Wheezing/lightly sneezing when resting. Possibly grinding her teeth a bit?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? yes.
- when did they last use their litterbox? today.
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? nope.
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? wood pellets.

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? not yet, was going to on the 17th of this month.
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? not sure....she's a foster from a rescue in Cali.
- is s/he on any medications? nope.

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Veggies, pellets, and hay. Occasional treat.
- when and what did s/he eat last? pellets last night and hay this morning.
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) nope.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? nothing unusual.
- is the rabbit molting? nope.
- any weight loss? nope.
- any sign of drooling? wet face? nope.
- runny eyes? nope.
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? Yes, but not coughing just sneezing. She did have a wet nose when I got her, but I assumed it was from 2 days of traveling in a car.
- is s/he breathing normally? yes, except when she rests...she wheezes.

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? nope.
- has the rabbit been outdoors? yes, a few weeks ago to a bunny picnic (wasn't in reach of other buns).
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? Dog/cats/rats/& 4 other rabbits...no one has been ill.

Marlin is housed right next to Ruby & I have been doing cage swaps. I have also been letting them run around together supervised (he's neutered). I thought maybe she had been wheezing for 2 days, but I wasn't sure.....but now this morning she obviously is :(. Could this mean Marlin is doomed to get whatever she has?

I'm calling my vet in a few minutes to get her appointment. If I have to pay for it, then this means she will be delayed in getting spayed for a little while longer while I save up the money & she gets better. I don't know if the rescue would cover medical costs, though I did mention to them she had a wet nose/paws when I got her (but I assumed it was from travel stress).

Marlin has already been exposed to Ruby's illness but since Ruby is ill I would stop the cage swaps and running together for now

This sounds like a Lower respiratory infection which may have began much earlier as a URI but she has managed to hide the symptoms.

I think that you have a rabbit saavy vet?

The vet may x-ray her chest and prescribe an antibiotic. Is she having difficulty breathing?

it is often more difficult to do a culture for a chest infection as doing a tracheal wash may not be worth the stress on the bun.

It doesn't sound like it at this point but often a cool mister can help a slightly congested bun breathe easier; if it is worse you could disscus a nebulizer with the vet (but it really doesn't sound like it is at this point yet.)
There is an active thread in the Infirmary on nebulization right now ; I will post it for you later.

It is important that a strong antibioric like Azithromycin (Zithromax), Convenia injections,((weekly injections for a bun) or possibly injectable bicillin or oral marbofloxicin be prescribed for at least several weeks and preferably more to knock out this infection (with the "big guns" as Randy would say)

Using baytril may work temporarily but with my experience the infection often returns; Zeniquen(marbofloxicin) is in the same family as baytril but a better choice as bacterial resistance against this drug is not common yet.

let us know ho the vet visit goes...

Good Luck!

We just got back from the vet - Dr. Batt prescribed her Baytril (tablets that I crush & mix) for the next 3-4 weeks. She said it doesn't sound bad at all, not in her lungs....she's just got some clear discharge coming from her nose & wheezes because those passage ways are blocked up.

You can use a baby nose bulb to get mucus out of her nasal passages if they are blocked but you can see it.

I can't see any mucus up in her nose, it is only wet a little bit on the outside of her nose. She's doing well & I'm already hearing less wheezing and sneezing since she started the meds Thursday night :).

Back