Routine Diet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbyBear

Reaction score
Hello all! I was just curious to hear some of your daily bunny diets. Basically I am curiousto what, how much, and when do you feed your buns in total every day. If the diet is perhaps different each day, please specify that. In addition to that information, I would like to know what breed and age of your bunny that diet is for so I know in comparison to my 4 month old Holland Lop.

Thanks in advance! :p

HerbyBear wrote:
Hello all! I was just curious to hear some of your daily bunny diets. Basically I am curiousto what, how much, and when do you feed your buns in total every day. If the diet is perhaps different each day, please specify that. In addition to that information, I would like to know what breed and age of your bunny that diet is for so I know in comparison to my 4 month old Holland Lop.

the most important part-(70%)- of the rabbit diet-daily- is-high fiber--grasses.ie.timothy,orchard..then you have quality pellets,perhaps a small handful per day-for vitamins and nutrition.,.then some treats like dandylions,,fruit tree branches/twigs are great for chewing,,-ie.plum,apple,,pear.//.read carefully the safe/toxic list on http://www.medirabbit.com --oh,,yea-plenty of water to wash it all down...if you are new to rabbits-this info will be a good start,,but there is alot more...sincerely james waller:big wink:

Gus is 3 years old, weighs 7 1/2 lbs, and is a New Zealand Cross.

He gets:

1/2 C pellets (split into two meals: one in the morning, and one at bedtime)
4-6 C fresh greens (split into two meals: one in the morning and one at dinner time)
Unlimited grass hay during the day when he's out in his pen (we're allergic to hay and can't have it in the house) plus access to the lawn.

Hope that helps!

Rue

james waller wrote:
HerbyBear wrote:

the most important part-(70%)- of the rabbit diet-daily- is-high fiber--grasses.ie.timothy,orchard..then you have quality pellets,perhaps a small handful per day-for vitamins and nutrition.,.then some treats like dandylions,,fruit tree branches/twigs are great for chewing,,-ie.plum,apple,,pear.//.read carefully the safe/toxic list on http://www.medirabbit.com --oh,,yea-plenty of water to wash it all down...if you are new to rabbits-this info will be a good start,,but there is alot more...sincerely james waller:big wink:

Thanks a lot James! I am farely new to bunny owning, about 2 months into it all. Your information is definitely where Istarted from when I first started researching. :)

And Rue, thanks so much for your specifics! That is just what I was looking for. And since your Gus is much larger than my Herby, I can see in comparison your diet to mine.

Keep em coming!:nod

Korr and Amelia get the same amounts. Korr is a 4.5 pound 5 year old mixed breed. Amelia is 8.5 months old lionhead and weights about 3.5 pounds. They are not yet bonded, but still get the same diet. They get 1/4 cup of Oxbow BB/T pellets a day divided into 2 feedings. They also get unlimited grass hay. Veggies are every other day and they get romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro and bok choy.
Lillian and Ginny get the same diet. It is the same as Korr and Amelia except they have an alflafa based pellets and each get 1/2 per day in 2 feedings. Lillian is a 2 year old Giant angora and weights about 10 pounds. Ginny is a 1.5 year old satin angora who weights about 8 pounds.

If give pellets in the morning when I get up and before I go to bed. This usually ends up being about 12 hours apart. They get hay when needed and when I clean the cages. Veggies usually happen after I clean the cages, but sometimes it is later than other days.

I just got my 9wk old NZ's from a small breeder and they had only been fed pellet food. not sure what kind but i think bulk and cheap. Currently, that's what they are getting in their bowls in their hutches until I buy more. They are in large runs in my yard almost all of the day. with water and a hideout and in the shade. With lots of fresh grass grazing and maple branches and leaves and lettuce, radish greens, beet greens, outer cabbage leaves, etc from my garden.
Am I doing too much too soon for them? should not allow them so many greens to eat at their will thoughout the day?
Also, our neighborhood has raccoons and I'm sure rats, I can't be sure that they haven't urinated and such in my yard. is this going to be a problem for my free grazing rabbits?

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Korr and Amelia get the same amounts. Korr is a 4.5 pound 5 year old mixed breed. Amelia is 8.5 months old lionhead and weights about 3.5 pounds. They are not yet bonded, but still get the same diet. They get 1/4 cup of Oxbow BB/T pellets a day divided into 2 feedings. They also get unlimited grass hay. Veggies are every other day and they get romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro and bok choy.
Lillian and Ginny get the same diet. It is the same as Korr and Amelia except they have an alflafa based pellets and each get 1/2 per day in 2 feedings. Lillian is a 2 year old Giant angora and weights about 10 pounds. Ginny is a 1.5 year old satin angora who weights about 8 pounds.

If give pellets in the morning when I get up and before I go to bed. This usually ends up being about 12 hours apart. They get hay when needed and when I clean the cages. Veggies usually happen after I clean the cages, but sometimes it is later than other days.

Thank you for your information! When I give Herbert bis pellets it's just once a day. Is there a reason why you split it up into two servings? Also, instead of giving a large amount of veggies every other day could a smaller amount of veggies be given every day (in your opinion)?

Dandeegraham, it sounds like your doing a good job at raising your precious buns. They sound spoiled rotten, lol I'm not too sure about the grass issue though to be honest. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that information because my bunny lives indoors.

dandeegraham wrote:
I just got my 9wk old NZ's from a small breeder and they had only been fed pellet food. not sure what kind but i think bulk and cheap. Currently, that's what they are getting in their bowls in their hutches until I buy more. They are in large runs in my yard almost all of the day. with water and a hideout and in the shade. With lots of fresh grass grazing and maple branches and leaves and lettuce, radish greens, beet greens, outer cabbage leaves, etc from my garden.
Am I doing too much too soon for them? should not allow them so many greens to eat at their will thoughout the day?
Also, our neighborhood has raccoons and I'm sure rats, I can't be sure that they haven't urinated and such in my yard. is this going to be a problem for my free grazing rabbits?

That sounds like a bit too much greens for how young they are. ;) I would cut back on some of it, especially the lettuce, which isn't really good for rabbits, and watch for any signs of diarrhea. Did the breeder feed his/her pregnant does & litters greens? If so, then it's probably okay to feed them greens, but I still wouldn't give them too much.

As for the grass grazing, I would be selective about where you put your grazing pens - check the grass for feces of raccoons, rats, etc. I know that something from raccoons can harm rabbits, but I'm not sure if it's their feces or what exactly. A good idea would be to keep the pens away from trees (but still in shady areas) and away from garbage bins, where the raccoons are most likely to venture near, hoping to find a tasty treat. ;)

As for my daily feeding routine - amongst a herd of Mini Rex, ranging in age from 5 months to 2/3 years, I feed like this:

The Srs (6 months and over), besides Savannah & Taj, get half 1/3 cup of pellets twice daily. Savannah & Taj (and any other rabbit on a major diet to lose weight) gets less than half 1/3 cup pellets twice a day, so their total pellet intake is about half 1/3 cup a day, whilst the others is a full 1/3 cup. The JRs are free fed until they are 6 months old, unless they start gaining weight easily or don't eat as much, then they are given a little bit less. My Jrs get two full 1/3 cups daily, and that suits them fine.

They are all given fresh hay twice daily, each get a different amount because I give them what they will eat, and not waste. Right now they are eating alfalfa (by mistake. oops), but they usually eat grass hay. They do seem to like the alfalfa though, but it is known to cause calcium build up in the kidneys, so that's why I don't feed it.

As for greens, my rabbits usually get a couple of handfuls of grass, dandelions, dandelion leaves, blackberry leaves, clover, etc. a couple times a week during the summer. In the winter, they don't usually get too much greens, but we might give them some fruit (banana, apple, etc.). But we don't buy veggies/fruits specifically for them. They are perfectly happy on their diet though, and love a raisin every now and then, and they definitely love their fresh grass. :)

Emily

Jessi is a holland lop spayed doe. She will be a year old in 4 days.

Storm is a about 3 or 4 year old Netherland Dwarf neutered.

They get 1/2 cup of pellets in the morning and I fill up there hay ben two times a day. They get two pieces of treats each a day also either ox bow or crasin treats.

The eat Purina green bag and our local grown hay.

I have been free feeding my 2 month old FG. Is that OK? It seems like she has a lot of growing to do, and I didn't want to limit her. I don't think she got much when she was with her littermates and mom, because shehas beeneating like a cow all weekend! Should I cut back on the pellets do you think? Right now, I have just filled up the container to the top and she just goes to it whenever she wants (which is often). And then she has her hay rack which is always filled as well.

I figured with the giant breeds and being so young yet, that I shouldn't limit her food because she is going to be growing alot. Am I correct in thinking that?

HerbyBear wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

Thank you for your information! When I give Herbert bis pellets it's just once a day. Is there a reason why you split it up into two servings? Also, instead of giving a large amount of veggies every other day could a smaller amount of veggies be given every day (in your opinion)?
How often you feed is up to you. I think me giving pellets twice a day comes from having bonded pairs and not wanting one to eat all the pellets. Some of my rabbits also tend to eat all the pellets at once, so feeding twice a day just works better for me. If your rabbit does fine with it once a day, then that is fine.
You can give a smaller salad once a day if you want. Some people give veggies twice a day while others might only do it once in a while.

What I do is just what works for me and my rabbits. Each person does things differently and each rabbit is different. If what you do works for your rabbit, then there is no need to change. If you want to change something, then that can work too. Of all the people on this forum, I doubt that any 2 people (who are not from the same family) do it the same.

HerbyBear:

The reason I split Gus's feedings into two is because he tends to inhale his food all in one go, instead of nibbling at it all day. And since rabbits are grazers, I just feel it's healthier for him to have his meals spread out over the day. I chose mornings and evenings for his meals because that's when he's awake and that's when it's convenient for me to feed him.

dandeegraham:

I'd definitely back off with the amount of greens your feeding your 9 week olds. It's unlikely they were fed many greens at their breeders, so maybe just start them on the grass, then introduce a bit of new greens every week. Watch for changes in their poop, which could signal a bacterial upset in their systems.

Suz:

Giant breeds should be freefed for the first year (Tinysmom/Peg will know for sure!). As you said, they have a LOT of growing to do. Once their metabolism slows down, as they reach adulthood, that's when you cut them back.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks Rue! I was thinking along the same lines, but just needed that extra assurance. ;)

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
HerbyBear wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

How often you feed is up to you. I think me giving pellets twice a day comes from having bonded pairs and not wanting one to eat all the pellets. Some of my rabbits also tend to eat all the pellets at once, so feeding twice a day just works better for me. If your rabbit does fine with it once a day, then that is fine.
You can give a smaller salad once a day if you want. Some people give veggies twice a day while others might only do it once in a while.

What I do is just what works for me and my rabbits. Each person does things differently and each rabbit is different. If what you do works for your rabbit, then there is no need to change. If you want to change something, then that can work too. Of all the people on this forum, I doubt that any 2 people (who are not from the same family) do it the same.

That's exactly it! I was curious about how everyone else feeds their buns. See everyone's ideas and opinions and see if I want to change mine around a bit since he IS still a baby and I am new to all of this still. Thanks for all your input though :)

Mrs. PBJ thanks as well for your info! What type is your home grown hay?

BTW, thanks everyone for contributing your input. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back