round sore on ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
To my horror I discovered a round (1cm in diameter) odd looking wound in Magic's ear. It looks like a hole filled with black scab. The scab is very hard and the hole seems to be going through to the inside of the ear but not presenting as big. Between the inside and outside of the ear it feels like a big hard lump. I have never seen anything like it and no idea what caused it. I can't believe i didn't spot it before.
Could it be an injury that turned into an absess? I can't imagine how this would have happened as she wasn't fighting with anyone. What could cause such a perfectly round wound?
I am totally freaked out beginning to fear someone came into the garden and burnt a hole into her ear with a cigarette:( It's that sort of a mark.

It very well could be an injury that turned into an abscess. It's really hard to tell, but it could be a wound from a big bite too. I think it would be really important to get a vet to look at it to see if there's an abscess there. Are they locked up? If they aren't, and you think there are people around who might do harm, it could have been a person.

O I hadn't thought of that. It does remind me of Poppy the rabbit with a sarcoma on his genitals.

My camera isn't good enough for close up shots. Itcomes up all fuzzy.
The rabbits are in hutches at night that could theoretically be accessed by strangers.
David actually thought tumor when he saw it first:?

A sarcoma is a malignant tumor. They can occur anywhere, but I've heard of a couple cases where the tumor was on the ear. I'd certainly have the vet take a look.

Pam

I went to the vet this morning prepared for the worst case scenario. The diagnosis was Myximatosis. Apparantly those myxi plaques are quite common in vaccinated rabbits that contract the disease. Occasionally something like this can form at the place where the jab went in.
Magic is perfectly fine. She got a shot of preventative antibiotics and her ear should return to normal soon.
I am so delighted that all my rabbits got their booster shots only a few weeks ago so they shouldn't be at any risk.

Oh I didn't want to mention that it could be that (although I thought it was a rare chance of it being myxi)! I'm glad you caught it early, and got all them vaccinated. Fingers crossed that it resolves easily.

Coco, who is bonded to Magic has come out with two sores. I checked her all over in the morning and there was nothing. By lunchtime she suddenly looked as if someone had scalpeled off a piece of skin from her nose and by tonight there was another raw patch.
If it wasn't sunday I would have been up to the vets already. i'll make an appointment for tomorrow also to give Oskar, the only one who didn't get a booster recently (HE WAS ONLY DONE IN sPRING) another shot.
Yhey seem all fine but grooming excessively (in particular the sore spots)
I actually did get a picture of Magic's ear that is half way recognizable
PHOT0059.jpg

Myxi vaccinations can help a funny survive an infection, but they still may have symptoms, like these sores. I bet you're just itching for the vet to open up again! Good luck!

I am actually terrified to look into the hutches this morning:(. They should open in a while so I can ring and make an appointment.

We took a picture of Coco's nose this morning. Thankfully she has only one raw patch. This one looks like a triangle carved out of her nose. i am not sure how clearly it is visible in the picture.
PHOT0064.jpg

Oh hun, it'll be ok! That nose really doesn't look too bad--I've seen worse things inflicted by other rabbits. I'm sure they'll all be ok--you got it under control quickly. How scary, though! [[hugs]]

Latest posts

Back