Roses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephira

Reaction score
I've looked this up but am having trouble with the details...

I read that roses (the flowers) are safe for bunnies to eat, but I am wondering about the rest of the plant. I have two very large rose bushes that I would like to let Mika and Sasha munch on, but I can't find a lot of info on them!

Are there particular types of roses that are safe or are all roses ok? Are the leaves and stems ok to eat too?

Also, while I'm asking questions... Does anyone know about Philodendrons? Are they safe, because I have a ginormous one!!!! :?

philodendroms are toxic
I was trying to find more specifics on roses but I am having trouble also

I think the petals are OK but I don't know about leaves and twigs.

All parts of roses are ok, except for the thorns of course.
The stems are not generally liked, tough, so I give leaves, flowers, and hips.

You do have to make sure that they are not treated with anything, so don't feed roses from a flower shop. Feed ones that you pick fresh, from your own bushes, or someone else's bushes that you know have not been sprayed.

The hips are the fruit of the rose. So when the flower dies back there's a ball-looking thing where it was, which is the fruit with the seeds inside. It makes a great tea, too. I get dried rose hips from a local health store for bunny treats. My guys love them! They like the petals too, but not as much as the hips. That's just dried stuff though.

Don't use any chemical fertilizers on your roses if you want to feed them to the buns.

Ahhhhh!!! Thank you so much for the info!! I have two different roses, a yellow one and a pink one that Mika and Sasha love to eat the petals from! They get them as a treatand now they can try other parts too!! :D

Latest posts

Back