Romaine, kale and spinach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serious

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a definite "yes" or "no" about these three greens. Some say "yes, sometimes, in small quantities" but that's not really clear as to how much is okay and why even bother if they COULD be bad for them... and some people say yes, romaine every day, and others say no, don't bother. Under recommendation of my vet, my rabbit gets a bowl of romaine and some other green vegetables every day (in addition to his timothy and some pellets), but then I've seen some people say not to do the romaine, so my head is kind of going in circles here.

So, yes or no on romaine, kale and spinach- and why?

My guys get romaine and kale very very often. Spinach not so much - but that's more because it doesn't keep too well and my guys started to hate it.

Romaine lettuce is a main veggie around here and I've never had problems. Normally they get it at least 5 times a week with a few breaks so they don't gettired of it.I feed kale twice or so a week, and never have any problems.

I've never encountered any health problems related to them, so I usually just feed them mixed with their normal vegetable salads. Just introduce them slowly, and if there seems to be a problem - cut back or cut out. I'm sure to reach the level of oxalates to cause harm you would need to be feeding bunches and bunches daily.. so I don't worry about kale so much.

Spring wrote:
Romaine lettuce is a main veggie around here and I've never had problems. Normally they get it at least 5 times a week with a few breaks so they don't gettired of it.I feed kale twice or so a week, and never have any problems.
Ditto on the romaine. My rabbit gets romaine every single day. I mix in green lettuce and parsley and sometimes some other things if it's fresh. But romaine is a given. I've never had problems.

Kale has calcium oxalates sp should be fed infrequently and spinach has a highcalcium content so also should be fed sparingly
romaine is fine every day :)

( The rationale is that higher levels of calcium oxalate can crystallize in the bladder, causing bladder sludge to occur.. painful and very expensive to treat, so best avoided by infrequent feedings of high-calcium veg)

Latest posts

Back