Risks of spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_LuLu

Reaction score
I've been calling around the local vets in myarea and all that ones that I call that do specialize in rabbits aretelling me how risky the procedure is, more for females than malesbecause the female surgery is more invasive. I want to get her spayedvery badly, but i'm having a hard time actually making an appointmentsomewhere because i'm very scared that the surgery won't go well. I'veread on here where people get their bunnies spayed and they're ok.. buthow often are they not ok?

I don't have any advice, other than the factthat I have a buck who needs neutering and I know how bad ananaesthetic can be, and I too and terrified of having it done.

Know that you are not alone with your fears :hug2:

Being scared shows you love your bunny and it is clear you just want todo the best by her. I wish you luck for whatever you decide to do.

You have to make sure the Vet is VERYBunny-Savvy. In all surgeries there is a risk. Evenwhen dogs and cats are spayed there is a risk because, yes a spay ismuch more invasive then a neuter. If you go to a vet thatdoes rabbits on a regular basis the risk should be lowered.You just have to make sure you are going to a vet who knows whatthey're talking about and what they're doing. Ask LOTS ofquestions (even the ones you know the answer to, to make sure they knowwhat they're talking about)

I had Holly done last month and it went fine. I did do theblood test before her spay to see if she could handle the anestheticand I do recommend it, because we did have one little bit of a scare inthe beginning as to whether she could even have the surgery ornot. Something came up in the blood test which lead to usneeding a urinalysis to make sure she was fine in order to go under.(Everything turned out to be fine!) Holly is doing great,recovered very quickly.

My only advice I can give, is make sure the vet is very bunnysavvy. A lot of times the receptionists don't know whatthey're talking about when it comes to rabbit. Speak to thevet personally, instead of the receptionist.

Crystal

Actually when getting a rabbit spayed a rabbitsavvy vet is not always the answer. This may contradict everythingwe've always said but in my case the most savvy rabbit spay/neuter vetin my area happens to also be lacking in the rabbit medicine knowledgedepartment. He knows nothing about treatment, but he is awesome atspays/neuters and is very fast, making the precedure that much saferand all 4 of mine have been spayed/neutered by him.

But if they are telling you it's dangerous, my first thought it theyare not a good idea to go with. One thingI recommend, ask totalk to the vet. The people on the phones are sometimes lacking in thespecific needs of rabbits and don't convey the idea that it is arelatively easy procedure. By talking to the vet you should get abetter idea of how they feel about doing spays. The most importantthing is finding a confident, experienced spay/neuter vet that has donelots of rabbits but they don't necessarily need to be 100% rabbit savvyin the medicine department. But do keep a phone number on hand of anemergency rabbit savvy vet just in case.

I've had 2 does spayed in the last year -- one was 1 year at the timeand the other isover 4.5 years old (just spayed 2 weeks ago).They are both well, my older one was up and back to normal the next dayeven, she showed no signs other than a shaved belly and incision thatshe had gone through surgery.

I got a reccomendation from a local shelter that has rabbits up for adoption. I called them and asked who they used for their bunny spays and neuters. The lady there was very nice and told me that the doctor they use is awesome and she would gladly take her own bunny there if she had one. So now I have the name of a vet who I KNOW has experience with bunnies, and has come highly reccomended. Now comes the hard part, getting the $$$ up! :p

~Star~

Latest posts

Back