risk of choking on pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninchen

Reaction score
I read a warning about not feeding pellets at all to rabbits, because they could choke on them.

about 8 bunnies died in a forum (over the years) because of that.

how high is the risk really ?

well, they all choked on pellets not on carrots or hay.

I feed only pellets for horses, they have the same ingredients, are cheaper and are too big to choke on.

in that forum, you are told to be cruel to your pets by feeding pellets.
I just thougt that is a bit hysterical.

well, then the biggest german rabbit forum has senior members/admins/mods with "absurd" opinions...

:dunno

problem is, thats not the only different advice...
it is confusing...

:huh2

Ninchen wrote:
well, then the biggest german rabbit forum has senior members/admins/mods with "absurd" opinions...

In my opinion....yes, they have absurd opinions.

Sounds like their opinion is based more on heresay than ondocumented proof.

As most good investigators would say "State your souce."

true.

their source: the eight threads which members in panic wrote, watching their rabbits die...some died on the way to the vet, others days later, because the pellets went into the lung...

most of the members and their buns were known in the forum for years, with pics, stories and all.

thats not scientific and I think the risk is not that high, but it made me think about whom to believe in forums...someone who seems to be an expert, perhaps is only talking about personal experiences.

Ninchen wrote:
because the pellets went into the lung...

Sounds more like aspiration as opposed to choking.

That would be an indication of an underlaying issue....probably not directly related to feeding them pellets.

This really doesn't seem to be a debatable issue.
I'll end my comments here.

JimD wrote:
Ninchen wrote:

Sounds more like aspiration as opposed to choking.

I agree, though choking could cause aspiration.

That would be an indication of an underlaying issue....probably not directly related to feeding them pellets.
That sounds very possible but I dont know a lot about rabbit illnesses to really comment.

Ninchen wrote
I read a warning about not feeding pellets at all to rabbits, because they could choke on them.

about 8 bunnies died in a forum (over the years) because of that.

I'd be curious about the rabbits - breed, size, age, overall health, over/underweight, teeth, background healthy, lifestyle and prevous types of feeding.
I feed only pellets for horses, they have the same ingredients, are cheaper and are too big to choke on.

I've always wondered about some of the horse treats I see in feed stores but never have taken the time to write down types/names to ask on the forum.

One thing to keep in mind I guess is - even if horse pellets are bigger, wouldn't the rabbit have to chew/break them down enough to swallow - perhaps in sizes the current rabbit pellets are formed in?

I dont know how well commercial rabbit pellets are sized for feeding, or how appropriate the shape is, I've never given it a lot of thought.

pamnock wrote

The risk is about the same as a person choking to death on food - very low, but possible.

I worte a post in the let your hare down section about almost choking to death on a peanut butter sandwich - I couldn't really blame the peanut butter or the bread, or the way I was eating. Sometimes (unfortunantly) things happen. Could I have died? Probably. Have others died from eating a PB sandwich? Probably.

I didnt have any underlying anything - I simply choked. I wasn't starvig, acting crazy while eating... it just simply happened.

Ninchen wrote

their source: the eight threads which members in panic wrote, watching their rabbits die...some died on the way to the vet, others days later, because the pellets went into the lung...

I say this with the utmost respect: Sometimes "epidemics" happen on forums - losses, illnesses, problems etc(for lack of a better word).

Sometimes I wonder if unknown causes get blamed on others' misfortunes due to what appears to be similar circumstances - Sometimes I wonder if people mimic others' experiences to gain attention - Sometimes I wonder if deaths of one cause are covered up, blamed on a certian misfortune that will be more well and widely received on a forum rather than actual circumstances in real life.

No, I'm not pointing fingers, accusing, or placing blame but I have seen it happen on past forum I've been on (NOT rabbit forums) and those instances always seem to make me pause when I see overall panics happen online.

I would have to ask though, with 8 happenings on the forum - along with the statistics I asked above about the rabbits - what are the forum member overall statistics, how long have they had rabbits, been members of the forum - how responsible do they *seem* on the forum, how far apart did the deaths occure from each other once posted online? Simple questions like that, I mean.

Is this true in all cases, not just said that illnesses occured that lead to death because a bit went into the lung, but were actual necropsy's done to prove that a pellet actually entered the lung? Without actual proof, one could only suppose, which may or may not be accurate.

Did they actually have a necropsy done (animal autopsy) or did it just look to them like the bun was choking? If you look around this forum you'll sometimes see threads about rabbits that suddenly started seizing which I suppose could be misconstrued as choking. Then they quickly die. If it's done, the necropsy usually shows something like heart failure or massive cancer and the rabbit had been hiding the earlier symptoms.

If they actually did choke on pellets, I'd want to know what breed they were and if they were related. There could be a genetic abnormality.

Also, if rabbits were at such a risk from choking on pellets you'd think we'd hear about it from breeders who feed only pellets. Which are most breeders.

I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I was in that forum for a year and the people there have a lot of rabbits, had rabbits for ages...its the oldest and best known rabbit forum in germany.

I don t doubt their stories, those rabbits (crossbreeds) died somehow because of a pellet.

but they do not feed any cereals generally, so some people fed pellets without cereals (no breeders are allowed there!) like pure herb pellets, which are very hard, and are fed by hand as a treat, so that the rabbits are not used to eating pellets at all. (only hay and vegetables).

sorry for starting this topic, but it is difficult for me to unlearn a lot of things I learned only a year ago about rabbits.

:sigh:

Ninchen wrote:
sorry for starting this topic, but it is difficult for me to unlearn a lot of things I learned only a year ago about rabbits.

:sigh:
No, don't be sorry for starting the topic, I think it's a good one and it has a lot to take into consideration! :)

It's veryy rare.

I agree with Pam. The risk is as low as a human choking on food (although that is a greater risk) but the risk of a rabbit choking on pellets? Not so much. I've never thought of it/heard of it until now.

Emily

Back