RIP-Waiting for news

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit Fluffy is at the vets now. The vet is going to put her under anesthetic to check and probably clip her teeth. Due to not eating, she seems weak and ill and I don't know if she will come out of it ok. I can only hope for a positive outcome.I just want ther back and to have her snort at me that she doen't want to be picked up for a cuddle and have me flatten her fur (normal behaviour for her).

WhenI first noticed she was eating less and we discovered she had lost some weight, although possibletooth problems were mentioned, the vetdidn't seem veryworried about Fluffy's weight because she had dropped to thesame weight beforethen regained the lost weight.An appoinment was made for her weight to be checked a month later. That appointment was last week. When it was seen she had lost more weight, an appointment wasbooked for this moring.She had been just nibbling at her food in the week, and over this weekend has had very little if any. She seemed lethargic yesterday and this morning she was cold too, so not a well bunny.

How's Fluffy? Hope she's doing okay. :(

She'll need some babying when she gets home. Make sure the vet gives you some pain meds to take home with you. The tooth trim may not be painful, but when they put her little mouth in a brace, it gets stretched and sore.

Please keep us in the loop.

sas :pray:

Hoping to hear about Fluffy and how she is doing. Like it was said when she comes home she might not want to eat for a day or so, or at least not as much as usual. Sooty was suppose to have his teeth out and never did, they did however clipp the front and file the back. He does fine with the front getting clipped as far as getting right back to eating, but when he got the back filed it took him a whole day to get back to eating and even when he started eating again it wasnt as much as normal. But after two days he was back to his old self

Is everything okay now with Fluffy? Drop a line to let us know that all is well. Speedy recovery!

Marietta

Good news :bunny24Fluffy came through the anesthetic OK and was transferred to another vets surgery where she could receive all the necessary 'post-op' care. On the last update I requested this evening,I was told she was being fed by a syringe, but had been feisty so they needed two nurses to do that. Fluffy is naturally a very feisty bunny, so that is a good sign :sunshine:I believe they want her to be eating solidfood on her own before they release her. I shall ask about medications and diet needs, as a few of you have mentioned.

The vet said her teethwere "apalling", and that there was one missing.There's no wayshe could have boken a tooth that I know of though. My Dad has suggested she was born with it missing.They have been treated now, but she will need regular checks and further tooth clipping appointments (before it gets that serious) in the future for life.

Thankyou for any prayers and kind thoughts. I shall update after calling the vet again tomorrow morning.

Jo xx

I'm glad she came through ok!

My foster bunny had molar spurs too, and had to have them ground down twice while she was with me. She came through really well though and usually started eating veggies quickly. A really good way to get more food into a rabbit whose mouth is sore is to put either Critical Care or pellet mush (ground up pellets soaked in water) in a thin layer on veggies like lettuce. Canned pumpkin is good too although I've heard it's hard to find in the UK. Luna really liked her Sore Mouth Buffet, as I called it!

I'm glad Fluffy came through ok.

With regards to the missing tooth, watch really closely for any sign of an abscess and get the teeth checked regularly. I had a guy who lost a tooth, and because the other opposing tooth keeps on growing it grew down and made an awful abscess that hed to him being put to sleep, so keep a vigilant eye.

Hope Fluffy comes home soon.

This is such a caring bunny forum! Thankyou again for all of your replies.

Fluffy is still at the vets being fed by syringe as she won't eat solid food yet. I can only guess her little mouth is very sore. One of the teeth had apparently caused aquite deepcut in her tongue.The vets told me they have alsobeen giving her medication to encourage her digestive system to get working properly again.

Apparently she will need tooth and mouth checks every 3 weeks and anesthesia for clipping/filing every 16 weeks. The aim is of course to prevent her teeth getting bad again. In readiness for those frequent vets journies, I bought a cat carrier for Fluffy today.

Jo xx

Awww sweet babygirl. how long has it been since the surgery now? just a day?

Good deal on the cat carrier. I have a couple for mine.

Just to clarify, it's her molars that are the problem? Or are the front teeth bad too? It sounds like she has a pretty severe problem if they are wanting to put her under every 16 weeks for filing/checkups, etc. I don't know if it is an option for you, but I would ask the vet about possibly removing the teeth. It is possible for a rabbit to live a full and healthy life without teeth, I believe Randy has/has had one that had all it's teeth removed. You just put the rabbit's pellets and hay in a blender with some water and make it mooshy, and they eat it that way. It just seems like all those vet trips, and the anesthesia every few months, would be hard on her and become expensive too.

I'm with gentle giants on this one. After having lost a bunny due to an abcess resulting from malocclusion, I strongly feel that removal is something to be seriously considered. It may cost quite a bit at first, but in the end, it can save a lot of trouble and money as well.

I hope you are both doing ok. How scary when they are sick. :hug:

A last update that is sad news unfortunately. Fluffy died at the vetsthis morning. The consultant vet phoned me and told me that she had seemed unwellyesterday eveningand although she lived through the night, her body gave up this morning. Too long without solid food and her digestive system just couldn't get working properly was the situation as I understand it.

When I heard on Monday (the day of the op) that it took two nurses to syringe feed her, I thought she was on the road to recovery. I'm feeling very sad now. That's all I can say really.

Jo xx

I don't believe this! She sounded like she was recovering normally....What an awful turn of events...it must be so hard on you, not expecting this at all... I'm so sorry for poor Fluffy...

Marietta

Oh no. I'm so sorry. What a shock, and it must be terrible not having seen her in the past few days. RIP sweet girl.

Back