RIP Steve Irwin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
This really bums me out. :sad:

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead
By staff writers

September 04, 2006 02:14pm

Article from:

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedyoccured.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS)wascalledabout 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to thecrew's boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor andemergency services paramedic on board.

Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest andwas pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin'sbody is being flown to Cairns.

Tasmania Police this afternoon confirmed his wife Terri was travelling in the state at the time of the tragedy.

A spokeswoman saidpolice had made contact with Mrs Irwin and"passed on a message relating to the death of her husband".

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.

Irwin's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 andhas been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoowildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Boband Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his familyat Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed MrIrwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciativeof all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesmansaid.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswomansaid the death was shockingand paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adoptedstate.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us throughhis personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland,"she said.

This Sucks/10

Learned about this like 20 minutes ago.

I liked him. Watched his show a lot untilI switchedto a cheaper cable provider that didn't give me animal planet.

I also just heard about that a little while ago,and I'm so upset. I loved him. That is, when I hadanimal planet, our cable company took it away from us a few months ago,now they want us to pay more, ugh. Anyway, I feel so sad forhis family, I mean, he was so young.

What a shock this was to learn...I couldn't sleep and got up to check my mail, and someone had sent me a link to the newscast.

I used to watch The Crocodile Hunter faithfully, and loved the rapportthat Steve and his wife Terri shared. And what an entertainingcharacter Steve was! His genuine love and enormous enthusiasm foranimals did so much for the the plight of the crocodile and otherendangered species. He was an Australian treasure, and hisunbridled shouts of "CRIKEY!!" will be sadly missed by millions.

:bigtears:

Rest in peace, Steve...and good on ya, mate...

This is such sad and shocking news.

Steve's enthusiasm and love for all wildlife was unmatched and he will be sorely missed by so many.

God bless and take care of his family.

That's very sad:(, I saw an article when I wokeup. He was an entertaining person, I love his show. My condolences tohis family.

:cry1I just found out on the news at6pm. Im so upset! I loved him so much, he was onlyever person I knew who was as mad! I feel so sorry for his family,especially his wife who only has his children to look after on her own:(

God bless. Crocs rock!

When I first saw it (seven minutes after it wasfiled), it was the fifth-listed story on the North American wireservice. I didn't receive any breaking news alerts oranything. I had to get the article from the Aussienews service.

Yet I thought it was reallya major international story, ittotally struck a very profound andsad chord.

The news media here finallycaught up to how much this man wasloved and started listing it as the top story (after a number of newsagencies almost had their servers crash from people flocking to theirsites to confirm the news), and it eventually became the CNN lead,etc.

The only feel-good moment in theuntimely death of such afeel-good sort of a guyis that his family will now knowexactly how much the whole world really loved this man.

Thank you Steve Irwin for your many shining moments.You will be sorely missed.

:rip

Condolences to the family. :pray:

This has been big news here in NZ, it was on TVall day yesterday and today :(. There have been tribute shows and hisfriends have all been talking about their favourite moments with Steve.

I met him once on a trip to Australia and he was an awesome guy, he will be mourned the world over.

R.I.P Steve.

i was so shocked to hear about it! so sad! i used to watch his show all the time... i feel so sry for his family...

its still all over the news here.. im sitting here listening to it right now:sad:

As a young girl I used to catch some smallgarter snakes and enjoyed observing them for ashort while . My mom would supply a large empty glass pickle jar andI'd put grass and a twig for the snake to climb on. A few moments later, I'd release it into the yard to get back to bug-hunting.

Steve Irwin seemed to help de-mystify the fears people have of snakes,crocs, ect. , while respecting their space. In order to letus see the animals he was observing, sometimes he had to get close tothem; I would never be that courageous !

I'm so sorry for his family and those who loved him. :rose:

Kadish Tolesa

My love to his family and loved ones...that'ssuch a tragedy...I just loved watching him having so much fun with someof the most dangerous creatures on earth. He was trulyone-of-a-kind, and had such a wonderful, warm, beautiful heart.

:rose::heartbeat:tears2:

Oh yes...he's quite well-known here in the States, and was well-loved. We will miss him dearly. :(

He was so wonderful bringing education to people about animals thatthey would never have had the opportunity to see or learn about had itnot been for his passion. His shows are quite popularhere...even with my six-year-old daughter! :)

What a wonderful man...

I was gutted when I heard this yesterday. In aworld where conservstion and love of animals seems to have a lowpriority, Steve Irwin's enthusiasm and obvious love of all creatureswas a shining light.

I feel cheated, because he was still so young, and still had so much todo to bring the world of animals (especially the non-cuddly ones) topeople.I feel so bad for his family, but I hope they continuethe work he started.

I guess the Rainbow bridge has another special guy there now (along with our own Buck)!

Jan

Back