(RIP) S'more has been sneezing/coughing and has nasal discharge.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your list sounds good Jim :)

I never heard of placing drops of baytril in the eye but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. It might make you feel more comfortable to callthe vet andtell him that you have reservations about doing it( would it sting ? etc)
I can look up and see if baytril comes in aneye drop.

LuvaBun wrote:
Aww, Jim, I'm sorry I'm just seeing this now.

I'mm sending all positive thoughts for you and S'More - sounds like you are doing everything you can for her :pray:

Jan
Thanks, Jan.:hug:

S'more is doing okay.

Hopefully the new round of Baytril will help, but I think it's too soon to tell for sure.
She's still sneezing and coughing, and she's still got some nasal discharge.

One major improvement is that she's eating lots of greens!!
Mostly parsley and romaine...and I'll start to slowly add new stuff in. She's eating a leaf and a half of romaine, and 5 - 6 sprigs of parsley....TWICE A DAY!!!
She won't touch her pellets, but if she's willing to eat her greens...so be it. I'll give her as much as she wants!!

She's not drinking much water, but I think she's getting a lot from the greens. I'm also giving her extra Pedialyte twice a day when I give her meds.

She's also eating a good amount of hay.

All in all, her input is improving....and so's her output ;)

:sigh:

S'more's been eating really well....right up until dinner tonight.
She ate a couple of small pieces of romaine and a sprig of parsley... then she pushed her bowl away.

It sounds like her nose is pretty stuffy too....and that may be making it difficult for her to eat and breath comfortably.

I think the heat may be bothering her a little too. It got a bit warmer and humidin the bunny room today. Right now she's resting on a big pile of hay that she fashioned into a nice bed.

I let her pass on meds today to let her tummy rest. From the looks of her poops, the meds maybe upsetting her a little.
I'll start them again tomorrow and will be forcing liquids and food if necessary.
I may give her a dose of Benebac as well.

I picked up some NutriCal today and will give her some tomorrow if she doesn't start to eat again.

:pray:

Maybe it would help if she was on something like Randy usuallysuggests like maybe a once a week Convenia injection or possibly azithromycin.
I don't know how your vet feels about suggestions :?
just a thought
it really doesn't seem like the baytril is having a signifcant effect.
also you may want to use a probiotic like benebac while giving an oral antibiotic

Let us know ...:pray:

angieluv wrote:
Maybe it would help if she was on something like Randy usually suggests like maybe a once a week Convenia injection or possibly azithromycin.
I don't know how your vet feels about suggestions :?
just a thought
it really doesn't seem like the baytril is having a signifcant effect.
also you may want to use a probiotic like benebac while giving an oral antibiotic

Let us know ...:pray:
Thanks, Maureen.

I picked up some Benebac today, and I'll start giving it to her tomorrow,

She's going to see our regular vet, Dr Cattiny, this coming Thursday.
I'm going to suggest some of the things Randy has had good results with.....

My drugs of choice against Pasteurealla are: Azithromycin, Pencillin (injectable only) and Convenia (injectable only with modified dosing protocol).

Randy

S'more was going downhill, so I managed to get her in to see Dr. Cattiny on Tuesday.

She had stopped eating and drinking, and her breathing had become moderately labored. Her sneezing/coughing had increased as well.
She had started to become lethargic and was occasionally shaking/shivering.

She had lost another 1/8 of a pound.

I was sure I was losing her.

Dr. C decided the best thing to do was take a step back with her treatment.
Since she had reacted so well to the initial treatment, he suggested we return to that route instead of trying to treat her for infection with just Baytril.
He took a x-ray, and it showed that the lesion/anomily in her trachea had not changed for better or worse.
He gave her an injection of Depo Medrol (steroid) and Bayril.
She got a nebulizer treatment.
And he sent me home with some Gentocin (antibiotic) to administer by nebulizing.

I built a home nebulizer using a large plastic RubberMaid container.
I have an extra nebulizer, because most of my family has asthma and we all use them on occasion when it gets really bad.
I drilled a hole in the end of the container near the top big enough to insert the mouthpiece of the nebulizer, and I put duct tape around the inside of the hole to ensure a tight fit.
I also duct taped the open end of the mouthpiece so all of the vapor would go into the container.
It worked like a dream!!!!

This morning I woke to find that S'more had eaten all of her dinner greens from last night ....AND ALMOST ALL OF HER PELLETS.
She hadn't touched her pellets in over two weeks!!
She also drank a good amount of water.

She ate all of her breakfast greens today and drank some water, too!!

She'll get two treatment for the first three days, and then one a day after that.

Time to give her today's first nebulizing...and then off to the store to buy more greens!

:DShe sounds like she had a really positive response to the nebulizer.

It sounds like you put one together like a pro, Jim

I am so glad that she is doing better... :):pray:

Thanks everyone!!

I actually got the nebulizer construction guidelines from a link Haley posted ..... so I really can't claim the credit:

Haley wrote:

Here are some instructions I just found that are similar. I didnt use a drill for mine though, just traced the circle and cut it out with a utility knife.

http://catnipkids.homestead.com/nebulizer.html

Will have to save this for future reference for bunnies with upper respiratory illness. I know that I love to help my bunnies and other bunnies I run into in any way I can, with whatever talents I have, like researching and doing health things that need to be done but aren't terribly pleasant (like cutting the shelter bunnies' nails). It sounds like you found a good way to use your handy-man talents to help out S'more, Jim!

S'more is not doing very well.:(

I came home tonight and she was having a very difficult time breathing.
She looked so scared.... and I could almost hear her saying "Help me, Daddy."

Luckily, Dr.C was in today and whenI called the office he told me to bring her in.
By the time I got there, she was in severe respiratory distress.
They took her right in and put her in the oxygen chamber....and then told me that they would be taking some x-rays to see what might be going on.

Her x-rays were a mess.
There's all kinds of stuff going on that shouldn't be..... i.e.; air in her stomach ("bloat")...calcifications in her upper resprirtory tract...internal lesions....unidentifiable anomalies....

I was certain that Dr.C was going to recommend PTS.

Much to my surprise he said; "I'm not ready to give up on her, though."

He recommended that I leave her for a few days of intensive care.
She'll be under 24hour care and observation in the oxygen chamber.
He wants to nebulizer her 3 times a day and administer steroids, anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics.

And then he said..."This is all going to cost you most of your frequent flier miles....and $75."
Have I mentioned how much I love and respect Dr.C?

So, S'more has been admitted to the Pompton Lakes Animal Hospital for the next few days.

I couldn't believe thatI was going home without her. The drive home was so very hard....and long.
I didn't even get a chance to say good-bye to her.

I'll be driving up tomorrow morning to bring her stuff ... food, hay, bowls, etc.... and I'll askif I can see herfor a little bit.

Any and all prayers & good thoughts will be most graciously accepted and appreciated.

PS:
To Buck Jones!..... Please watch over my little girl!

Poor S'More, and poor Jim. :sad:

Whatever it is, its my guess its the steroids that made it feel better. I saw the same progress with another bun with a swelling in the trachea. I don't know what that could be, though.

Prayers and best wishes, and second hand thanks to an awesome vet.

sas :pray:

Latest posts

Back