RIP Rexie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor baby girl :(I was never happy with the vet treatment. I'm sorry this happened. This sucks. :(

Binky free :rainbow::hug2:

*Do you want to move your thread to the rainbow bridge? People will see it more easily.

Yes, it would be nice if it was moved to rainbow bridge.

That vet was a fricken joke. Nothing was wrong with her before and she seemed to be getting better. The last day or so she was interested in critical care but ate hay, lettuce and some fruit. Last night we tried giving her some gas medicine and she did fine. This morning around 8:30 we tried giving her medicine again. I gave her a tiny squirt in the syringe and she froze up. I thought she was gone but my boyfriend knew she wasn't. We took her toa vet down the street that we used to go to (gentle care on hwy 59 in waukesha) and we took her in a room. She wasn't moving , I couldn't feel her heart and her head was all the way back. The doctor came in and she started to move. She checked her heart and everything and said her upper area felt like it had something in it such as a hairball or tumor (I've delt with hairballs twice so it doesn't seem that way). I talked to Rexie and her heart stopped. She kept gasping for breath. I told her it was okay to go. Her heart started beating a little and the doctor said she's about to leave so I told her I loved her and she was gone. I should be getting a call soon, the doctor is doing an autopsy to try and determine the issue.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm moving this to the rainbow bridge for you.

Peg

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm hoping to find a new vet. The doctor still has called with the autopsy results but she said she'd call by noon so I've got 25 minutes.

For simethicone gas medicine is it suppose to be 1cc which is like a whole syringe?

tiabia, I'm so sorry. I wanted to hold and stroke Rexie and let her know she's loved. What clinic had you taken Rexie to?

Friends have an unspeakable record of care WRT one vet listed on a recommendation list. A friend's rabbit was taken to this DVM in October with an eye concern and her bunn died the following day with chest compression and breathing difficulty. It has caused many of us to step away from the recommendation list he is on. The reports of care and injuries have earned this DVM a nickname. Not publishable here. Tons of us would NEVER, ever, ever suggest him (based on experiences). I'm so sorry. Is the Gentle Care vet clinic going to do the necropsy?

I am so sorry. PM me if you wish,

I'm so sorry you lost her. Did the vet say where the infection was? Was that what was causing the discharge on her rear, maybe? Pasteurella can do a lot of different things- eye/upper respiratory infections, abscesses, ear infections, uterine infections, etc.

I used to take my rabbits to elmbrook vet but I switched over to Bluemound animal hospital a couple weeks ago for Rexie to see if it would make a difference since elmbrook didn't know as much to begin with. This morning I figured gentle care would be best because we know dr elliot and it's close by.

She called me at noon and explained everything, more than I can remember! But if I am correct when she cut her open she said there was a lot of the pasteurella liquid or whatever it is all over the place. She also noticed a small tumor on I think the upper left side but it wasn't affecting much. She also said the uterous was fine as well as the kidneys but the ovaries were destroyed. Basically all the food we've been force feeding her just sat in her stomach which is why she fought a little the past couple days and didn't want us to feed her. She also said if I were to have gotten Rexie spayed recently she would have died on the table.

Back