(RIP) Please help! THis bunny is sick!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldwaterlabs

Reaction score
We have a Netherland Dwarf bunny that we purchase from Tractor Supply about three years ago. He was a very mature male when we purchased him and so I am guessing he is possibly 6 years old?

Anyways...He is bone skinny but doesn't have loose stool. It is still formed in little balls. He is eating timothy pellets that we purchase at the farmers feed store and I mix some shelled corn in there and also give him carrots once in a while. He hasn't been eating the carrots lately but is still eating pellets. He is also still drinking but not as much as before I think.

I checked his teeth and they are nice and short, his nose is not running, he isn't sneezing or acting lazy but he looks like he is constantly drooling now with a wet chin, front and paws.

Is there something I can worm him with? Is there something he can pick up from rats (he was outside on the back porch for a while and we have seen a couple of rats near the barn)? Does this sound like anything inparticular or do you think he is getting old or what? I am really worried about him and I don't expect he will last much longer?

I am a dog breeder and so have most dewormers and antibiotics on hand. Just tell me what I need to give him. Anything ideas to help him or insight is greatly appreciated.

How long do rabbits live normally?

Thank you, Alayne

Hey,

Rabbits can live a long time - a lot of people say around 10 - 12 years. I had one that lived to be 15 and a half.

A wet chin, drooling, and not eating normally are all signs of tooth problems. His front teeth may look fine, but that doesn't mean his molars are. You should take him to a rabbit savy vet and have them take a look at his back teeth.

Pellets are the easiest thing for bunnies with tooth problems to eat, I think. They don't take much chewing - which is probably why he's eating the pellets but not carrots. Do you give him hay? Hay is the most important part of their diet and helps to keep their teeth nice and short.

Good luck!

Definitely sounds like a tooth problem to me as well. Timothy or any grass hay is best. Make sure the vet you go to is rabbit savvy. There is a list on the site. Keep us posted on how your little one is doing.

Drooling really does sound like a dental issue. A rabbit savvy vet will not just use a scope to look into the rabbit's mouth. I know from experience with one of my rabbits that the molars cannot be proprly visualized while the rabbit is chewing on the scope and fighting to get away.
X-rays are needed to visulize the roots and entire structure of the mouth.

Ask a lot of questions before you select a vet.

Hmm...He is a very laid back rabbit and I was able to tip him all the way back and open his mouth. His top teeth look fairly short and his bottom teeth almost too short? No redness, bleeding or anything unusual. I called all the vets in the area within two hours and none of the vets are willing to say they are well versed in rabbits. I don't know what to do really. Should I just insist they take him and do the films? I picked up some hay and he isn't touching it yet. I am sure he will though. will wetting down his pellets a bit make it more easy to eat?

also noticedd that you are feeding shelled corn; eliminate this from his diet; corn is not good for a rabbit
he could have multiple issues so it is really important to get him to a rabbit knowledgeable vet

Dang...it was the stupid vet that we go to that told us that it is OK to feed shelled corn!! I see what you mean about the vet being well versed in rabbits!

Thank you for the link..going to check it now! He is now eating the grass and eliminated the corn.

If there is anything else you can think of that I can feed him that is soft and good for him that he could easily chew please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Looked at the vets. I am in Elkton and so at least a couple hours away from all of them and this is a holiday weekend! I couldn't get an appointment until next Wednesday. I hope he makes it until then. Is there anything I can tube feed him with? I am used to tubing puppies and kittens. Cant be much different.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help. I got him in and the vet said he was a very old rabbit. He had a tumor in his neck and we had to put him down. We loved Cristeau very much but at least we know he won't suffer any more.

coldwaterlabs wrote:
Dang...it was the stupid vet that we go to that told us that it is OK to feed shelled corn!! I see what you mean about the vet being well versed in rabbits!

Vet's not stupid ;) I've posted info a number of times on this forum that corn can be fed to rabbits in moderation.

I'm sorry you lost the little guy . . .

angieluv wrote:
I am so sorry that you lost him :(

RIP little guy :pray:

in terms of corn I have seen it on the "do not feed list" of many rabbit experts such as Susan brown and Dana Krempels

http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.htmltake note of last paragragh

I'm familiar with the article, but the information is incorrect (see my previous posts on the subject where I go into more detail).

The article is incorrect in stating that corn hulls are not composed of cellulose, but are composed of complex polysaccharides. Cellulose "is" a complex polysaccharide, and the hull is broken apart by processing as well as the rabbit chewing.

I've fed feed containing corn for over 20 years.

we're so sorry for your loss. It's never easy having to say goodbye. He's resting easy now and is no longer in pain. He had a good life and a loving home which is something that not all get. We've been in a similar situation here as all our rabbits are rescues and we don't know how old they are, we just know some of them are really old. All we can do is give them our love and enjoy them for the fun little fur babies that they are. Rest in peace little man and binky free.

Latest posts

Back