(RIP) OMG whats wrong with Hiccup

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh No! Im so sorry your boy isnt well. It really sounds like a spinal injury to me the way it came on so fast. Definitely keep him imobile and on the pain meds and fluids. Is he able to urinate on his own right now?

When you do see a rabbit savvy vet, ask about steroid injections. There was a recent thread where the same thing happened with stephiemarie's bunny so you can sort of see some of the awesome advice that everyone gave her. She was actually given advice to put her bun down but shes doing a lot better now. Sometimes even the most cared for bunnies can have accidents- their backs are so fragile they can be severely injured just by slipping on the floor, falling, going berserk in their cage etc. Its definitely not your fault- youre an awesome person for doing so much to keep him comfortable now.

Definitely be sure he can urinate on his own or else you'll need to express his bladder yourself...

Prayers for you and your boy

Haley

I am sorry:bigtears:

Please move this thread to THE RAINBOW BRIDGE.

Little Hiccup passed away earlier this morning.
This is a very sad day in our house.

We could not have made it to the vet for the xray, he was too weak.

His death is a mystery and I am considering doing a post mortem blood test, I may need to, to protect my other bunnies.

I am very sad right now, he passed peacefully in my arms in front of the heater (always his favourite place).

I owe the vet nothing, in more ways than one!!

My usual vet told me there was probably nothing anyone could do and I am wondering if I should take the little body to my normal vet for tests as I said.

I am just not sure if I can endure that, you know its hard enough to lose a baby so young and full of life just a few hours ago.

thankfully I have my own baby to look after so we are going to be okay today but have cancelled all on our schedule.

Today is for Hiccup. I will bury him in the garden.

Sorry little boy. You were so cool, one ear up and one ear down.

I would like to post a memorial for him, with his photos etc. Soon.

Thank you for everyone who tried to help us. RIP Hiccup sweetie.

Oh Ofelia...i'm so very sorry to hear this sad news :(

Thinking of you :hug:

Rest in peace little one

~Cheryl

Oh how terrible to lose him so quickly. Thinking of you and yours.
Binky free, Hiccup.
:rainbow:

I'm so sorry you lost little Hiccup. :rip:

:(Oh Ofelia I am so very sorry for :bigtears:you ...
I know hat you are going through a lot now anyway and this is really heartbreak
If i were you I would have your normal vet attempt to discover what the problem is.

My thought s are with you...

i'm so sorry :(

....binky free little one
:pray::rainbow:

Sorry, I didn't catch your thread sooner to offer healing prayers to Hiccup.

Prayers to you and all of those around you for your own personal healing and good memories of your sweet little Hiccup.

:pray::bunnyangel:Binky free at the Bridge little one....

myheart

Thank you:bigtears:

My vet and I had a long talk and I also rung MAF, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. They HAVE had a few reported incidences of pet bunners dying from apparent Calici Virus in my area over the last 2 years. No one can be sure of the cause of death but it seems likely it was this killer virus, he did not display the normal sypmtoms but because he was so young, it could have been that the virus got to him too quickly.

Except for Iggy, all my buns are vaccinated, Iggy will of course be vaccinated today.
He was dosed on metacam until he passed so I doubt he was in much pain.

I had to had to go super market shopping, just got back, it took me over an hour to buy 15 items...everything is a bit blurry and kind of turbulent in my head.

Its so quiet, baby will be asleep soon and Hiccup is gone, there is a terrible smell where he passed and my clothes were covered in urine. I did not notice it at the time.

My vet will not look at him in fear of contaminating his rooms. It will cost $350 for a proper post mortem and Hiccup would be sent into a city lab and not returned to me.

I have decided not to do this to him.

I cannot afford it anyway. He will stay here and be buried when I have more energy this afternoon.

For now, he is in a little hay crate, with some dandelion flowers.
He is in the barn.

I am really really struggling with the idea of putting him in the ground!! I am always so slow to comprehend.
Going to have a drink and think about it all.

Got nothing else I want to do.

Fairwell little gold minilop, you were so so sweet, a tiny golden version of your fiesty Mum. Slipper will miss you.

I am so very sorry for your loss.:(. He know you loved him, now he and Barney are hopping around eating nice juicy greens and checking out all the babes!

Binky free Hiccup!

Dave

I'm so sorry to read about Hiccup's passing, Ofelia. He looked like a sweet, wonderful little guy. Too young...

Binkie Free, Hiccup:hearts:

This is sad news. I am so sorry for your loss and your little guy going through all this. I think that is a good decision to burry him. It would be hard to get the tests done and then the body not returned to you.

Shannon

When I saw the original post in 'The Infirmary, I really hoped the little bun would pull through.

I'm sorry for your loss of Hiccup. He looked and sounded like such a sweet bun.

R.I.P. Hiccup :rainbow:

Jo xx

Yes he was a beautiful boy :) Very beautiful, he had lovely colours and a lovely little personality.
He will always be in my heart, poor little thing.
I hope he felt no pain, he passed so peacefully, like he had just gone to sleep.

I had irrational fears of waking up and finding all my bunners sick or passed. But they are all well, and quite naughty too, little Iggy (Hiccups sister:sad:) has dug a sizeable hole on my lawn!! hmph!

She made me laugh, looking quite healthy thank you very much and her little nose covered in dirt.

Slipper has lots of company and almost constant attention from Jazz and Iggy, he is one spoilt boy so he may not miss Hiccup too much.

I just hate to think of Hiccup not living much of his life. But we have to go on.
I am realistic too even though its very hard to be practical when you love your bunnies so much and emotion is probably healthy too.

Latest posts

Back