RIP GIZMO: WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS!!!! (CLOSED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well im off to bed for now, if someone could nudge ra7751 to send those dosing instructions for the zithromax + penecillin would be great as treatment starts tomrow

Thanks

Bon

Ok update,

Giz made it through surgery and the abscess was almost 100% cleared out, the cut into her face is HUGE but thats because of following up now.

Atm she has a gauze soaked in iodine + antibiotic in there, to be removed and replaced on monday. Unfortunately the abscess was between 2 layers of muscles in the jaw, meaning putting the Calcium hydroxide in wasn't realy an option.

Anyways ive been given a huge bottle of penecillin and zithromax to start those, and now its the waiting game to see if we can kill this thing!

Oh and shes fine, her first thing to do when she came home... throw her food all over the lounge while stomping before going to clean herself.

Im so glad to hear shes doing ok! Did Randy get back to you on the dosages? Did she get some good pain meds as well?

I found Max loved eating his pellets mushed up with some pumpkin in them after he had his mouth operated on.

I'll be praying for your little one. Let us know if theres anything we can do to help.

Yep shes on some strong pain meds, and already shes chomping her way through some lettuice like no tomrow. I don't know if Randy forwarded on the dosages to my vet but non the less we worked it out at 0.75ml of Penecillin a day to 1.75 Zithromax.

Thanks for all your advice guys and ill get it updated, hopefully get some pics aswell.

Warning: Graphic photos of surgical incision in this post

angieluvwrote:
I sure hope that she continues to do well. Congrats on getting her this far..you are one determined bunny owner :D

Thankyou, shes just been asleep on me for the best part of 2 hours, felt too guilty to move even though i was dying for a drink, eventually she got up cos she wanted one also :biggrin2:

Anyways pictures as promised, sorry about the blurryness, for some reason my camera isn't agreeing to take closups atm :(

Warning, not for the sqeemish!

DSCF2930.jpg

DSCF2951.jpg

DSCF2950.jpg

DSCF2933.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

DSCF2949.jpg

DSCF2946.jpg

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2936.jpg

DSCF2937.jpg

DSCF2939.jpg

DSCF2940.jpg

DSCF2942.jpg

Well that is rather shocking...but she actually looks alert and eyes are bright.
Surgeons look like they did a good job.

Hopefully with the antibioitic and keeping it really clean she can beat it.

The photos are shocking but i am glad to see them for a learning experience.

I edited the title of this thread to warn folks who are just now seeing it for the first time.

Good luck with your bunny - I sure hope she does well...

Oh wow, poor thing! It looks so painful but I can see in her eyes that shes very alert and doing well despite the huge wound.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I had no idea how big of an area you were dealing with. Shes such a strong girl- and so lucky to have you helping her fight.

Sending lots of prayers to your beautiful girl.

Haley

Thankyou for all your support. The biggest thanks still goes to my vet, who has put in a whole bunch of her own time and ordering the special medications for Gizmo as well as taking the time to intervine with the surgery to do it herself and do such a brilliant job.

Will be brining more pics monday when the Gauze is removed and replaced hopfully.

The Gauze came out today, unfortuately however she protested too much to put another in without anesthtic, as such were just gonna be usng antibiotic flushes of it on a daily baisis.

Some more pics now its out

DSCF2958-1.jpg

DSCF2959-1.jpg

DSCF2957-1.jpg

DSCF2956-1.jpg

Oh an her sense of curiosity hasn't gone either...

Whats in here then!

DSCF2925-2.jpg

And a pic of all the stuff shes having atm

DSCF2955-1.jpg

angieluv wrote:
it looks like it is healing well..!!

Indeed it is, today took her to the vets and using one of those tools they use to check their teeth they had a look inside the abscess cavity and fortunately it apears to have done the trick thus far, there is no noticable buildup of the puss and it is healing well.

Tomrow I will get pictures of her daily routine done at home for those interested and get her case file form the Vet for people to read so people can see form the vets perspective whats been going on.

As promised a guide so to speak of gizmos daily routine.

Warning: All of these are for Educational / informative purposes only. If administering medication to your animal make sure your Vet has shown you how to do it personally.

1. Prepare the medication before you bring your rabbit in, theless time you stress the animal the better

For oral medicines this is easy, just shake well and draw into the syringe.

DSCF2960.jpg

For penecillin make sure you follow the instructions properly. Shake or roll the bottle well before using, wipe the cap with sterilising solution,hold the bottle upside down and insert the needle into the rubber cap.

DSCF2961.jpg

DSCF2963.jpg

Draw the plunger down PAST the actual dosage you need for your rabbit. InGizmos case she needs 0.7ml

DSCF2964.jpg

Then push it upto the level required

DSCF2965.jpg

2. Mix your wash

Using hiposcrub as a clean out is very effective, less dangerous than Peroxide but much more effective than Saline water. Use it every other day, and saline water on alternating days.

200 Ml luke warm water

DSCF2967.jpg

1 Teaspoon of hiposcrub

DSCF2968.jpg

Mix well and your medications are ready.

DSCF2970.jpg

3. Bring in the bunny, clearly unimpressed.

DSCF2971.jpg

4. Oral medications. Gizmo is very good with syringes, as such i do them first.

Start!

DSCF2972.jpg

Almost done!

DSCF2973.jpg

All gone!
DSCF2975.jpg

DSCF2977.jpg

5. Injecting.

Turn the rabbit to face the direction which is easiest for you, I am right handed so having her facing my left hand is easier for me.

DSCF2979.jpg

Warm the syringe in your hand by holding it for 20-30 seconds.

DSCF2978.jpg

Grab the skin and "tent" it, pulling it up away form the muscle and bone to create a gap underneith.

DSCF2980.jpg

Carefully but firmly push the needle in and withdraw the plunger slightly to check if youve hit a blood vessil, if blood enters the syringe withdraw and try again, if ok inject it slowly, making sure it is going into the gap created (there should be no forcing of the plunger, it should just slide in smoothly) and checking that you havent punctured the skin on the other side and that it is dribbling down the coat! (if it has gone through both sides of the skin, immediately clean it off with warm water, if a rabbit grooms itself with penecillin on the coat it would be fatal)

DSCF2982.jpg

DSCF2981.jpg

6. Cleaning the abscess cavity. Draw the saline or Hiposcrub into the syringes needed and clean as shown by your vet. due to the nature of cleaning a open wound I didn't take any pictures to reduce the time and stress on her.

DSCF2983.jpg

7. Reward time! It is important after this routine that you give your rabbit some love and reward for going through this. For gizmo its a small helping of her favorite yogurt and cola!

DSCF2984.jpg

DSCF2985.jpg

8. Sat by the door waiting for a reward! Cheeky or what!

DSCF2986.jpg

9. Yum!

DSCF2987.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

Anyways there you go people, just a bit of information for people on what they may have to do for their bunnies if it gets an abscess. It is a horrible thing for both bunny and owner to go through, however after a while you both get used to it, if your strong for your bunny, theyll be strong back.

Very impressive, Bon

but i would add these tips

1) Penicillin should be rolled and not shaken so as not to create air bubbles in the syringes.
2) The tops of the vials should be wiped with alcohol before inserting the needle. sterile technique for injections is a must

3) if you can get an isotonic solution like lactated ringers to mix with the penicillin it will decrease the likelihood of sterile abscesses and decrease the sting of the injection

4) When you are about to insert the needle into the penicillin add the same amount of air to the vial as the amount of medication that you are removing to equalize the air pressure in the vial
5) After you insert the needle ALWAYS pull back on the plunger to make sure that you do not get a blood return in the syringe. If you do.. remove the needle and start over. You want to make absolutely sure that you are not in a vein.
5) Some people choose to change needles after withdrawing the penicillin to decrease the chance of irritation from the penicillin on the needle. Also a new needle is sharper and sometimes is easier.

Actually a lot of people have problems with injections but you are doing it with ease and grace :DCongrats
Maureen

angieluv wrote:
Very impressive, Bon

but i would add these tips

1) Penicillin should be rolled and not shaken so as not to create air bubbles in the syringes.
2) The tops of the vials should be wiped with alcohol before inserting the needle. sterile technique for injections is a must

3) if you can get an isotonic solution like lactated ringers to mix with the penicillin it will decrease the likelihood of sterile abscesses and decrease the sting of the injection

4) When you are about to insert the needle into the penicillin add the same amount of air to the vial as the amount of medication that you are removing to equalize the air pressure in the vial
5) After you insert the needle ALWAYS pull back on the plunger to make sure that you do not get a blood return in the syringe. If you do.. remove the needle and start over. You want to make absolutely sure that you are not in a vein.
6) Some people choose to change needles after withdrawing the penicillin to decrease the chance of irritation from the penicillin on the needle. Also a new needle is sharper and sometimes is easier.

Actually a lot of people have problems with injections but you are doing it with ease and grace :DCongrats
Maureen

Sorry i forgot to add those into the post! I actualy do all of that apart from no 1 + 6 on habbit so forgot to add in doing them. Will fix it now :pAs for 3, I normally wipe the needle with a steralising cloth to remove any penecillin form that but i dont mix the penecillin with anything.

Great info! I'm glad I already linked this thread into the Abscess thread in the Library. Even when you've been shown how to do everything by the vet, it helps a lot to have pictures and written descriptions available as a secondary walk-through.

I wish my buns took oral meds that well!

She looks like she is taking all the fuss very well. What a brave bun!

Latest posts

Back