RIP: First time bunny owner = really nervous

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aagelly

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my bunny had white discharge around his nose. I have done enough research before getting him to know that it was an upper resp. infection. He has an appt. at 9:30 this morning, however, Im extremely scared. I have only had him since Saturday and have grown attached quite quickly. Before today he was only sneezing every so often. Nothing abnormal....

Me being a first timer, Im not sure what to expect. Any advice?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Check out this page in the Library...

Runny Nose

It's likely something that can be cleared up with antibiotics, and if it is an infection like Pasturella, it may mean a lifetime of antibiotics, butit's not a death sentence.

Please let us know what the vet says!

Good luck!

sas :clover:

Well I just got back with Sir Willardand it is Pastruella. 2 injections a day for 5 days. The vet is worried considering the infection is really bad and my bunny only weighs 6.4 ounces. But I think we'll make it.

Well, at least you know what it is now. Like Pipp said, it's not a death sentence, but it's not curable either. Basically. you can put it in remission with antibiotics, but if he is put to any unusual stress like travel, etc, it could come back out again. You will also need to keep this in mind if you are thinking about getting any more rabbits, as it is contagious.

BTW, where did you get your bunny? If it was from a breeder, you might want to let him/her know that the rabbit you bought from them has pasturella, because that means the breeder has it in his/her herd.

Aw, sorry your little guy is sick :(.

What a tiny baby! 6.4 ounces :shock:. Is it a very young baby??

We need some pictures, hehe.

Hope he feels better soon, and Welcome to the forum! Be sure to ask anything and everything :].

Oh Im so sorry to hear your little one isnt well!

Can I ask what kind of injections the vet put him on? Is it Bicillin or PenG or Baytril? Im surprised its only for 5 days, that seems like a short period of time for an antibiotic.

Did the vet show you how to do the injections?

As GG mentioned, if this bun is from a breeder or pet store you should contact them to let them know your bunny is sick..

aww, poor baby! its not fun having a sick bun!

and like phinnsmommy said....PICS!!!:biggrin2: when he gets better of course

Well we made it through night one of antibiotic. Willard is showing signs of improvement. He is now breathing through his nose and the discharge has disappeared. Witha lot more rest, I believe he will be well in no time.

I got Willard from a local pet store. I went into the exotic pet store last week to get stuff for our saltwater aquarium and fell in love with the bunnies, so I went home and for a week did nothing but research rabbits. Sure enough, a week later, I went back to buy one.

Sir Willard is about 8 1/2 weeks old. He is a dwarf (not sure ifI mentioned that earlier). The vet said he probably will not even double his current size at adulthood. :)

As for medications...The vet put him on Baytril. I was in nursing co-op the later high school years and majoring in Vet Med. at Texas A&M until I had to move, so the injections are no problem for me. He is so fragile though. I'm used of dogs and cats!

Thank you guys for all the support! It means a lot!

Can anyone tell me experiences they have had with Baytril?

**oh and as soon as he starts to feel better, I will post pics :) **

Some people have not had good experiences with Baytril. As far as personally, it has cleared up many URIs for me before and I haven't had a problem with it. There *are* resistant strains of Pasteurella- but that will be dealt with *after* we see whether or not the Baytril works. It's still generally the recommeneded drug, but there are others that can be as effective. As with any "miracle drug", resistance can occur.

She's obviously a young rabbit. The good thing about Baytril is that it isn't as hard on them as many.

Administering Baytril by injection is the best way to do it. When it's orally, it takes a little longer to build up in the bloodstream.

If the Baytril isn't effective, there are other drugs that can be tried. Let us know and we will be happy to help out.

:yeahthat:

Sounds like he's in good hands. Injectible baytril is definitely best since its broad spectrum and safe on younger bunnies.

Keep us posted. Youre doing a great job!

Welcome to the forum Aagelly! :bunnydance:

Most rabbits have Pasturella or a strain of it. Many are not affected by it. My Pebbles sneezes. I have tried Baytril and many otherdifferent antibiotics. I finally had a culture test done, and that medication worked. She still sneezes, but it is controllable.My vethad me usethe Claritin nasal pump to clear her stuffy nose.

Therewas no problem about Pebbles spreading it to my other bunny, Bebe. Bebe is unaffected.

Do you have any idea where the pet store gets the rabbits they sell? It would probably be a good idea to call and let them know that the rabbits they are selling have a contagious, basically incurable disease. If they are responsible people they will change the source where they get thier rabbits, and hopefully alert the breeder they are buying from as well.

Just wanted to let you guys know that Sir Willard passed away about 5:30 today.

This was very unexpected as he was doing a lot better today when I was home for lunch. In the short time I had him, he brought me great joy and happiness.

In his memory..

SirWillurd.jpg

So very sorry. :sad:

Babies that young (and he may have been evenyounger than you think, pet stores often 'fudge' their ages) are often prone to problems, a pet store bunny experiencing the stress ofthe pet store and rehoming with a heavy 'white snot' case of Pasturellais so seriously compromised.:(

I dohope you take the pet store to task. All their bunnieswill be in the same boat.

I really hope this doesn'tstop you from wanting to experience the joys of bunny slavery. Those joys really will so outweigh the pain if you get the right situation. Andyou're obviously a great, attentive guardian.

He was such acute little bunny. :tears2:

:rip: RIP Sir Willard

sas :cry1:

I'm so sorry for your loss....I've put "RIP" at the front of the subject line so folks will know as they go to read the topic.

I'm sure your bunny knew it was well loved during its short life.

Peg

Oh no, Im so sorry hun. You really did everything you could for him. Unfortunately, many pet stores get their bunnies from breeders who do not take proper care of their bunnies and wean/sell them at a very young age. Its likely he was younger than they told you he was.

He was such a beautiful boy and, as Pipp said, you were an amazing guardian and mommy to him.

I hope you will open your heart to another when you are ready. Maybe next time it would be easier to get an adult who you know to be healthy. Shelters are just full of beautiful healthy bunnies.

Let us know if you need anything. We're here for you.

Rest in peace little Willard. :bunnyangel:

I was just reading this thread...and about to post our experiences with Pasteurella...when I saw the most recent posts...

I am so very, very, very sorry for your loss. Always remember that you made Sir Willard's last week of life better than it ever could have been if he'd not been adopted. With you he had a home, and love, and care.

RIP, Willard. :bunnyangel:

~Mary Ellen

xthis is literally a tragedy. i'm so sorry.

RIP Sir Willard, you were sooo young. How unnecessary. :rainbow::rip:

please don't let this turn you off from adopting another bun, maybe from a rescue this time. you know what i mean? i'm just so sorry.

tracy

Latest posts

Back