(RIP) Bunny has balance problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperduck

Reaction score
Hello, I am new, and I have a bunny with an issue.
He is a 2 year old dwarf rabbit named torpedo. He had some weight issues this past summer, when he was placed in with a guinea pig who ate all the food. He is now gaining weight and has been separated from the guinea pig. He's been separated for about a month. He also has always been kind of wobbly when he's just sitting there. He'll kind of sway back and forth.
Today I took him out of his cage and placed him by some hay to munch on. He would fall over on his side and either not get up or have problems getting up. If you push him when he's sitting there he wiil fall over and just lay there. He can hop around though, and he can balance on his hind legs. He is eating and drinking. He also is very vocal, but over all seems healthy and alert except for being off balance. Any idea what might be wrong?

There are a couple of possibilities, but it's nearly impossible to tell which it is or to treat any of them without going to a vet. So the #1 thing I can recommend is to use our listing of rabbit-savvy vets and go to one near you ASAP.

The most common cause of balance problems is an inner ear infection. Rabbits' ears are very sensitive to infection, and since the organs that tell them which way is up are in their ears, they can get balance problems when they have an ear infection. This needs to be seen by a vet ASAP because an untreated ear infection can lead to damage of the ear that is permanent, and you can have a "head tilt bunny," like JadeIcing's Ringo and Apple, who are happy, normal buns in some respects, but are what we call "special needs." It is very challenging emotionally and financially to take care of a special needs bun. Ear infections, if caught early enough, can be treated with antibiotics. See our library article on ear infections for more info on them.

Another possibility that comes to mind is a parasite called encephalotozoan (sp?) cunicili. It's abbreviated e cuniculi or EC. This is something nearly all rabbits are exposed to at some point in their life, but they only develop an active case if their health becomes poor for whatever reason, be it age, stress, diet, etc. Earlier symptoms are hind leg paralysis/dragging hind legs, excessive urination and urinary tract issues. This is because the parasite attacks the spinal cord and kidneys first, then makes its way to the brain. The prognosis for this disease is not good. However, since your bunny seems to have normal hind leg function, it's not what I'd suspect first. I mention it because it's a possibility, and the attitude of a lot of old-school rabbit people is to assume all balance issues mean that EC is the cause.
We also have a library article on EC. Several bunnies on the forum have had it, although like I said, the prognosis is not good. Usually the rabbit has a slow decline in health over a few months. EC can be tested for with a blood titer, and kidney/liver function tests can be done on blood to see if it has damaged these organs.

If your vet says he thinks it's EC, make sure he has considered that it might be an ear infection. Also, there are some antibiotics that are not ok for bunnies, so be sure that they don't give you one of those by mistake. The best thing you can do is get Torpedo to a rabbit savvy vet ASAP. I don't mean to scare you, but acting early can really help him recover fully. Good luck! :clover:

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately my issue right now is that I am away at school, and I don't have my regular vet. Every other vet office I was calling was refusing to talk to me over the phone, and told me I needed an appointment. So I have been calling other vets. My school that I go to is in the middle of no where and the vet here "doesn't see rabbits". I actually finally got a hold of a vet as I was writing this.. they said that it sounds like an ear infection or a neurological problem and that I should bring him in. So I have an appointment now, but it's for later in the week. I just hope he doesn't get worse.

I'm glad you've gotten him in to see a vet. Just keep an eye on him and if it gets worse, insist on taking him in on an emergency basis. Things that I think would constitute an emergency are head tilting to one side, or uncontrollable rolling around. JadeIcing's bunny Ringo has chronic head tilt and has been doing that lately, there are some videos of it on her thread in the infirmary section. Poor little guy! I hope you can get him some help soon.

Others may have some home remedies you could try.

Word of advice stress that it is an EMERGENCY. You might have to wait but they will squeeze you in. Hope everything works out.

Could you give us your location? Perhaps someone might be close to you that can help you.

pla725 wrote:
Word of advice stress that it is an EMERGENCY. You might have to wait but they will squeeze you in. Hope everything works out.

Could you give us your location? Perhaps someone might be close to you that can help you.

:yeahthat: Absolutely have to agree with this. The sooner head tilt is treated, the better the chance of nipping it in the bud. If it progresses, it can be murder to get rid of. I'd really do what you can to get your bunnyin earlier for antibiotics (and maybe Panacur).

If you giveus your location, maybe we can help. At worst, we can direct your non-rabbit savvy vetto a veterinary website so he can follow the proper courseof treatment -- the right drug and the right dose. It's not that complicated. The usual protocol is to just treat with the meds immediately and worry about what it is laterif the meds don't work.

sas :clover:

He passed away last night. I talked to the vet and they said based on how fast he passed and all of his symptoms, they think he had either a brain tumor or an awful parasite, neither of which could have treated. Thank you for all the help and well wishes.

I'm so sorry. I was hoping you could get him some help. Are you considering a necropsy? I know they're expensive and you just want your bun to rest peacefully now, but they can help some if you'd like to know what happened, in case you decide to have another bunny in the future. It's so sad that you lost him right when you were trying to get him some help. I hope you're doing ok. Binky free, Torpedo.
:rainbow:

Back