RIP Angel - I think she's dying...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
This morning when my husband went to feed the buns, he noticed Angel wasn't excited to get her morning pellets like she normally is and wasn't running around her cage in eagerness either.

I came home from work early to access the situation. She looks like she doesn't feel good, is laying down, with her tummy to the floor. Her tummy doesn't feel hard or bloated. I have given her a dose of simethicone. She willingly took it, thank goodness. When I try to get her to run around, she doesn't want to and just goes and lays back down in the same position. I got her to eat some oats and two craisens just a few minutes ago. She only ate a few of her pellets today. Hasn't drank much water either. Going to have to syringe some shortly.

What are your opinions? Sound like gas? I've never had a bun with gas before. I'm very worried about her. How long before I should see her up and moving and wanting to eat? Could be hours? :sigh::cry2

does she have good poos?

She's eaten a small bit of hay and parsley today though right? And still no poop...

Do you have any Critical Care? Maybe try making a pellet mush out of pellets, some pedialyte, pumpkin if you have any and see if she will eat some of it.

If there haven't been any poops.. sounds like it's the beginning of stasis as well. You know me - worry wort - so I would think about taking her to the vet in the morning if there is no improvement.

Try to get some pedialyte into her if you can. Also a dollop of nutrical will keep her going... put it on her paws for her to lick off.

:(

She is going to try the dryer. See if the movement breaks up bubbles. The way they say the car does,

Yep, she ate parsley this morning! A bit of hay.

Okay, she's had some oats, a couple craisens and took some syringed water. Just gave more gas meds. I have her on my lap for the warmth. She's about the same, starting to move a bit more.

Okay, I just got back from the store with some Nutrical. How the heck do I give this?:shock: I'm really starting to get scared. When I peeled off the protective cover, it had some on it and I wiped it on her mouth, she wouldn't even lick it off:(.

I also got some parsley I can try to give her. I was just holding her and she's pretty limp:(. I'm really getting scared. Is this normal? Help.:cry2

I'm starting to think she's dying...

Get or make pedialyte, and wrap her up in warm blankets. Maybe puta blanket in the dryer for a few minutes? I really hope she is okay :?Is her tummy gurgling at all?

Just wanted to say that it could still be gas... It's really scary with bunnies. Unless you can get her to a vet, your best bet is to give pedialyte and try to encourage pooping. Any pumpkin on hand? If you give her a single strand of hay does she eat it? Wiggles wouldn't eat it herself but if I fed her strands she'd take it.

:hug:

MsBinky wrote:
Get or make pedialyte, and wrap her up in warm blankets. I really hope she is okay :?Is her tummy gurgling at all?

Yeah, good call Sophie.

Is she cold? Pressing her tummy up and down or just totally lethargic? Is it gurgling?

If it's gas, she should be at least temporarilyrelieved with a looong tummy massage.

Don't worry about food or Nutri-Cal quite yet, but hydration and massage (and Simethicone) are good.

Call me if you want to.

sas :pray:

Be praying for Angel, guys...she's going downhill fast, and Crystal really needs your good thoughts and prayers...

Be praying, guys...

:pray:

Oh, I really hope and pray Angel's okay......

Yeah call Pipp, she'll have good advice and be able to keep you from getting scared or discouraged :hug:I know that gas can be really scary. Wiggles has had it a few times since the surgery. I don't give her pellets at all when she gets like that.

I was thinking, maybe she was getting better because of the dryer trick but the sugar from the craisins made it worse again? I would hold off on all treats until she is better.

Hang in there :hugsquish:

When a rabbit has gas doesn't it get a hard belly? Could it be wool block? In such case senario force feeding her could be bad. Pineapple is suppossed to digest fur. But you can't treat it if you don't really know what it is. I have dozens of rabbits and I never have gas problems..... Sure it isn't something else? Plus the simethicone would have fixed her right up. Feed her lots of hay and some oats. Get her to drink and try pineapple. Don't worry bout forcing her to eat a rabbit paste. Rabbits can go without pellets for days and have no ill effects except being really hungry when they come back to eating. It could be her body needs this time to clean her system out. Just make sure she get access to them, is eating hay and drinking. The pellets could burden her system needlessly, especially if it's some sort of blockage which would require a vet. Does she appear in pain?

A bunny which suffers from bloat will have a hard, bloated belly, and has no gurgling if I am not mistaken.

A bunny that has gas, doesn't have the bloat and has much or loudergurgling.

Food is of no importance. I never give pellets nor mushed pellet. How would you feel if you were constipated and I force fed you? Lol.

However, hay, pineapple, pumpkin, etc can help if it is gas. my concern is that maybe the sugar made it worse. Then again maybe it's not gas at all.

Right now all that can be done is keep her from going into shock for whatever reason and therefore warmth and hydration are the most important things. It doesn't matter what the problem is right now, pedialyte and warmth need to be given. When Wiggles had her bout of pyometra, that's all that kept her with me.

The last I heard from Crystal, about an hour ago, was that Angel was limp, not lifting her head any longer, and no longer taking water...she was dribbling it out again...

Oh, I hope against hope she pulls through...

Edited to add: Crystal said Angel's breathing is also getting labored...:(

Latest posts

Back