Rimadyl use with rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
I was contacted by a friends daughter. Her bunny is going in for a spay and the vet said they are going to give her an injection of Rimadyl. (I only have experience with dogs and had to stop using it on Vicky because of side effects.) Any input would be appreciated.

Yes, it is safe, BlueGiants. Most vets use metacam these days, but I know of buns that have been fine onRimadyl.

You're such a doll to take such good care of your friends and their babies!

I do hope all is well with you. Tucker, Fauna and Cali send all their love your way, keep some of that love from me too!!! :elvis2:

Thanks Carolyn... no personal experience with rabbits and that drug! Vicky (my "at the bridge" Gordon Setter) reacted to it very badly and had to be taken off of it. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything about using it with rabbits... and couldn't get my vet on the phone. I knew you guys would know!

Thanks for your wishes. We are doing well here!

Can certainly understand why you'd be reluctant after Vicky had her experience, but I've heard of it being used often with no negative results with rabbits. If your instincts are saying "Beware" though, you could always ask the girl to call the doctor and see if he'd use Metacam instead. They're usually pretty open to such requests.

:)

It's safe to use. It can cause tummy upset, though.

Back