Rikki Tikki! Crusty Eye Questions again?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadeRabbit

Reaction score
I posted in Nutrition and Behavior about storing hay. But this is about his single crusty eye that I have been having trouble with.

I got Rikki a new bowl to hang on the side of his cage, because he had my niece's, which I have been meaning to give back to her. Well, a couple of days ago my mother noticed Rikki Tikki was chewing on the bag of Orchard Grass and she moved it to the top of his cage. He pulled the bottom part in and chewed a hole in it. The dust at the bottom of the bag spilled into his cage and he has a patch of crust on his eye, AGAIN! But he must really like the Orchard grass. He has never done this before.

What can I also do for his crusty? Working on getting a vet appointment for a checkup and to set-up his neutering. But I am wondering if anyone else has had a rabbit with one crusty eye like Rikki's eye?!

P.S. I am kinda upset about his eye. It was looking so good, and then he gets the munchies for the Orchard Grass.

His eye baffles me to no end. I search google sometimes about his eye or a rabbit with a similar condition and I can never find anything on it. I am thinking a picture might help. Just in case someone has a similar problem to mine.

Photos of his eye: Sorry kinda dark and blurry! I need new batteries for my camera. You can clearly see the crust on his eye. This happened several hours after the dust in the orchard grass bag fell in.

RikkisEye002.jpg

RikkisEye001.jpg

Has his eye been seen by a vet? I wonder if he has a clogged tear duct or barely healed ulcerated cornea and that's what's making it super-sensitive. For now, you can put a warm damp washcloth to soften the crust. Our Netherland dwarf Frida has tiny tear ducts due to her squashed dwarfy face (which some Dutches have too), so she gets eye crusties that she needs help removing. Her bonded partner Ben used to do it for her. Now I do it for her. It doesn't look as bad as Rikki Tikki's, though--it's just a small crust right at the corner of the eye. I think a vet should take a look at it.

That's what I am starting to think now. Going to try and get a vet appointment ASAP. Today, it looks a whole lot better. No chunk of crust like in the picture.

Latest posts

Back