Rib cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylen

Reaction score
So when I first opened my rabbits cage his ribs were showing and he was skin and bone and refused to eat, in panic I ran to the kitchen and grabbed oranges and bananas to help him gain some weight, well about half an hour later I was on the floor with him and he was perfectly fine, fat belly and all. Then when I put him back in his cage his ribs were showing again. I don’t know if he’s just scared and it’s reflex but I need help!

Ribs showing from weight loss isn't just an instantaneous thing. If he's breathing rapidly from stress or heat, maybe they may seem more prominent. If a rabbit is actually too skinny, it's easiest to tell along the back and hips. The back should be nice and rounded along the spine and the hips filled in and rounded. If the spine feels sharp and pointed and the hip bones sharp and protruding, the rabbit is under weight and should be taken to the vet to get the proper treatment and dietary recommendations.

Suddenly giving a rabbit a bunch of sugary fruits is not advised. You are lucky it did not set him into GI stasis. Upsetting the bacterial balance in his gut (by giving him loads of sugar) is what can cause GI problems.

If he truly is underweight, then he needs a gradual and safe way to gain back that weight.

Does your rabbit have constant access to hay? Is the hay refreshed every day? A rabbit getting plenty of hay is seldom going to get dangerously thin.

What is his typical daily diet? (and his age?)

Latest posts

Back