Rex & Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
The new bun we have is rex & lop. I was justcurious if that was a recognized breed at all, I couldn't find anythingon it. Also are his markings called anything? Sorry for being dumbabout the varieties.

From his markings I'm guessing that his coloring is "tri" - which is broken harlequin pretty much.

Sorry - he is cute!

Peg

My girls are a rex and lop mix too:). Your boylooks like my two, didn't get rex fur and didn't get proper lopears:rollseyes (theirs kinda hover! lol)

lol, I can't believe how sweet and calm he istoo compared to my holland. I get a kick out of the hovering ears,sometimes his right ear droops more it's so cute. He free ranges in mybedroom for hours on end and I never had any problems with him. Are eyeproblems common with them, I'm taking him to the vet this week to havehis draining eye looked at. The owner told me allergies, but she nevertook him to the vet for it. Which I'm rather annoyed by.

I live in Texas too and I have some rabbits thatget something in their eyes at times - I think it isallergies. I haven't looked at photos of your rabbit's eyesthough.

I normally just give them a bit of children's antihistimine and itclears it up. Could that be why the breeder didn't take him to the vet?Maybe she used soething that breeders normally use?

Do you have a thread in the infirmary about it? If so -I'll go try to read it.

Peg

I just took a pic of his eye for you, it looksbad from the pic, but it is better. What kind of childrensantihistamine do you use? That might help until I get him to the vetthis week. I always have the decongestant kind for my rats that's haspseudoephedrine, not sure if that's safe for rabbits. He doesn't haveany other symptoms no sneezing, he's still eating like a pig andrunning around like a nut bunny LOL. I didn't get him from a breederthough, the owner rescued him from some kids that were abusing him.

Could it be a blocked tear duct? I haven't hadthis come up with any of mine *knocking on wood* but I have read thatis what it looks like.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a tooth problem thatwas the first thing we checked real good. I could be wrong though. Nofunky smell coming from his mouth and he's eating normally too.Hopefully this new vet is good, he keeps rabbits at his office so I'mhoping he knows some stuff :)

It's not the tooth itself and you can't see it by examination - you need an x-ray done.

The tooth root actually grows into the area of the tear duct and causes it to be blocked.

You guys were right it was a blocked tear duct,it was infected and filled with puss. It was pretty stinky too. Heflushed it and oliver was so good :) He gave us eye drops and cipro. Ican tell it's already getting better too, because the smell went down.He's drooling a bit, but I'm sure that will go away soon.

If he's drooling, that is a sign of molarspurs. Problems with the molars may be what caused the tearduct to get blocked up in the first place.

I would highly suggest getting an x-ray of his head done or at leastget a good scope in there (although most vets need to put the rabbitunder to do that).

If it is his teeth this will be a re-occuring issue that may cause other problems as well.

--Dawn

He said he had little points on them and hewasn't concerned about it. He used 3 different things to look in hismouth, I think he looked around in there for a good 15 minutes LOL. Igot him some timothy hay and he seems to like that much better than theochard grass now. The goofy owner had him on alfalfa of all things.

The little points are molar spurs, and can be a problem if they don't grind themselves out.

Give him lots of hay and try some harder veggies to try to get those points ground down.

If he is having continued problems with his eye clogging up, you maywant to get some x-ray's of his teeth done to make sure non of themolar roots are causing the problem.

You should also this section on teeth: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11901&forum_id=10

--Dawn

I would highly recommend getting a head xraydone also. Without that, it's not possible to tell what themolar roots are like, and that would be the part pressing on the tearducts.

My vet has also recommended that I get this done with Loki, althoughI've put it off as the problem hasn't reoccured in over 7 months andwasn't nearly as bad as Oliver's. I've also confirmed that heis allergic to dusty pellets and hay, which were the root cause of hisproblem.

Latest posts

Back