REW x Any color = 100% REW?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
If you take a New Zealand buck and put him on say, a black doe, would you get 100% REW kits?

Had someone ask me, I honestly don't know the answer. I try to avoid REW's at all costs :biggrin:

REW x REW = 100% REWs.

It would depend on what the black doe carries, but I think you would get either some REWs, or none at all.

I'm not sure if NZ's mask anything being as how REW used to be their standard colour. If they came from a line with blacks in it, though, then they could mask black, and could produce blacks when bred to a black doe.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
REW x REW = 100% REWs.

It would depend on what the black doe carries, but I think you would get either some REWs, or none at all.

I'm not sure if NZ's mask anything being as how REW used to be their standard colour. If they came from a line with blacks in it, though, then they could mask black, and could produce blacks when bred to a black doe.

Emily

I just used the black doe as an example :) I have no REW's in my herd and don't intend on adding any myself!

I'll just tell the guy theres a good chance of REW's in the litter, mixed with regular colored kits. I think he has black New Zealand crosses that he wants to put with a purebred NZ buck for whatever reason. :?

I dunno, not my herd!

TCRabbitry wrote:
NZ's carry lots of fun colors.... If you breed a White to a red you'll blacks, blues, and steels. :D

My first trio of rabbits came from a guy with a pretty good sized herd of New Zealands...he got a litter of eight BLACK kits out of two white parents! I thought it was the coolest thing ever :biggrin:

I don't know too much on New Zealands. I know for mini rexes at least, I would breed a REW to a Tri and get blacks, if you bred a REW to a black you will most likely brokens. Again I am not to sure on NZ colors though

Latest posts

Back