Revolution Treatments

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hey,

So as most of you know, my cat came back home and had many ticks. The vets were really shocked because it is rare in Montreal. They would have expected fleas or maybe one tick but not as many as she had. I did good to bring her in.

I felt the need to ask about the rabbits and I really felt better treating them in case. The vet didn't know rabbits so she called the rabbit vet (the one I see) and the rabbit vet very much agreed with me and said it would be much better to prevent it. They even recommended a 2 month treatment. Well anywho, each box costs 85$ and with everything that was adding up, I asked if it would be ok to start with one treatment. A box contains 6 doses so the cat will get 2 and the buns 1 each.

Anywho, 200$ later (apart from 40$ for the taxi), I am home with a box of Revolution and a much happier cat. I was told to part the hair and empty it out between the shoulder blades where they cannot lick it.

So my questions are:

1) Is this the right treatment? (Just double checking because I am paranoid)

2) Shoulder blades is fine for the rabbit right? Or should I put it a tad higher?

3) What are the risks and things to look for?

I know I know, I should know this and I think I do but I want to be 10000% positive at this point. I really don't want to mess up!

Ive used Revolution a few times with great success. If I remember correctly you give them the kitten dosage- is that what they gave you? I think its just like 3 drops or something. I put it on the beck area. I never had any symptoms but I would think the main things to watch for would be shock or depression/loss of appetite.

The technical dosing for Revolution (Selamectin) on rabbits is 6mg/kg administered topically once a month. The only side effect we have ever seen is that some breeds may lose abit of fur at the point of administration. Never had any other problems. But it is always possible to have a problem on any one individual. I have used it even on cottontails.

Another option for fleas and ticks is plain old school nasty tasting yellow Listerine. We do all our incoming wildlife with Listerine. If the ticks are attached, a nice dousing with a Listerine soaked Q-Tip will usually entice the tick to let go.

There is also a new drug being used with dogs and cats if I remember correctlycalled Capstar. I am going to do some research on that to see if it's safe for rabbits. Works great on squirrels. Might be a new option should it prove safe.

Randy

Thank you guys for the info! Seeee the vet told me to empty the tube :shock:Bah! That's why i love this forum. Lol. I am annoyed, I had completely completely forgotten about the Listerine thing :grumpy:Doesn't change too much though since I had none on me :?lol. Thanks again :rose:

Latest posts

Back