Rest in Peace Princess Pow Wow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[align=center]
rainbow.jpg

card2.jpg

[/align]

I had a dream about Pow Wow last night that I thought I should share....

Her and Marlin were hopping around my bedroom floor last night and I woke up to Marlin saying "MOMMY! MOMMY! MOMMY! I think Pow Wow needs some of those magical cherrios to help her feel better!" in this cute little boy bunny voice.

Marlin goes nuts over cherrios, they are his new thing.

I woke up scared and mumbled and snuggled up to Ryan. It was a freaky dream, in a way. I am not sure if I would have had this dream, if I had not met Pow Wow. Was it my first day there, Peg, that I asked why she was "scanning" around the room and you said that rabbits of that color do that, but then later noticed that she was scanning just a little too much for it to be normal?

Pow Wow was such a sweet beautiful little girl :(.

Yes - it was your first day here and you noticed that about her. I had been going in to see her before you came because something seemed off for a few days ahead of that - but I couldn't figure it out. She wasn't tilting at the time (and really - she wasn't tilting when you saw her that first time).

I miss her so badly - it is time for me to go deal with Cordelia and I'm missing Pow Wow so much. She loved her carrots - I loved to watch her eat them and feed them to her. Its hard now to try to work with Cordelia because I miss Pow Wow so much.

Oh well....maybe another story in the next few days...

Peg

undergunfire wrote:
Was it my first day there, Peg, that I asked why she was "scanning" around the room and you said that rabbits of that color do that, but then later noticed that she was scanning just a little too much for it to be normal?

Pow Wow was such a sweet beautiful little girl :(.

I'm so sorry Peg. With you getting these jobs right now, this really has to be so very hard. It will make you stronger though in the long run, I guess God wants you to be Ironman, someone we can all look up to in more ways than one;). I'll look forward to more stories, yours are always so great. Take care of yourself.:(

RIP Princess:rainbow:

Well, I thought I'd share another story about Pow Wow today. Some of you will probably remember it if you've been around a while.

I loved Pow Wow - she was one of my favorite does. She was so friendly most of the time and just so pretty. One of my goals was to have babies from her because I knew they would be just like her (is anyone here laughing yet??). Oh wait -that will be a later story..

Well - when she had her first litter - they were all stillborn and I think a bit early. I followed the advice of other breeders and rebred her shortly after she lost the litter. Her next litter was....all stillborn. She looked so sad. I tried to foster to her - but it was a no go. She just didn't want to nurse the babies at all - I think she knew they weren't hers (so they went back to their original mama).

I gave her a month off and then rebred her one more time. I was also breeding some other does (so I'd have foster moms available). I was heartbroken when I checked her nest for her third litter and all were dead.

I think that was one of my hardest days with her - because she nudged my hand and looked at her babies and nudged my hand again. I think she thought I could fix it...that I could make them better. After all - I did other things for her - I brought her food and treats - I cleaned her liter box. Certainly I could fix this....couldn't I?

I took the dead babies out and left her in her cage for a bit and I went to check on the other does. I had an idea in mind.

I'd have to go back in the forum and read about it because I don't remember if it was that day or the day after (or if Sundae had her babies the day before Pow Wow had hers) - but whenever it happened....Sundae had NINE babies.

I kept thinking about Pow Wow and how she was still grieving for her babies...and thinking about how Sundae had NINE babies. Certainly Sundae wouldn't mind sharing...would she? But would Pow Wow do a better job of fostering this time?

I took Pow Wow out of her cage while I made a little nest in there and put some babies in there. I don't remember if I gave her three or four babies - once again - I'd have to go back to my thread to check it out. But I made sure that they smelled like her (I'd petted her first and then petted them with her scent on my hands). I thought about using the vanilla trick - but she seemed to be wanting HER babies and I wanted them to smell like her.

Bless her heart - Pow Wow was ecstatic to get back in her cage and find LIVE babies wriggling around in her nest. I think they had been born the day before now that I think about it...

She looked at me and at the babies and at me and the babies. She smelled the babies and they SMELLED like her.

I think she almost binkied in her cage. She was so happy to have babies. I was happy for her and for that day she would come to greet me whenever I opened the door and almost preen herself as if to say, "See what I did?"

I didn't have the heart to tell her they weren't hers. I think maybe she thought I'd brought her babies back to life. Until that night.....

That night I went to bed knowing that she had X babies to take care of and if she fed them during the night and stuff - she'd get to keep them. I was a bit nervous because even though she seemed attached to them - what if she rejected them?

Well - the next morning I got up and one of the first things I did was to check Pow Wow's cage. She didn't have X babies anymore. She had X+1 baby...and it was ALIVE and wriggling and nice and big. ALL of the babies had full tummies too.

Needless to say - the decision was made. Pow Wow was going to get to keep the foster babies AND her baby.

If I thought she was proud the day before - that was nothing. I think by this time she'd figured out she was fostering - because she was ECSTATIC at her babies. She would come to check me out if I came to the cage - but as soon as I opened the door - she would CHARGE me. I think there was something about knowing that HER baby was in there and alive that she went from being a sweetie - to being a MOTHER who had to protect HER young. :shock:

When I checked the baby a few days later - I noticed that she had overcleaned its back foot and it was missing the front 1/3 or so. Still yet...the baby was fine other than that.

Pow Wow was an excellent mother - just like I knew she would be. She loved all of the babies - but frequently, you'd find her cuddled up next to HER baby or her baby would be sleeping on top of her head. The two had a very close relationship compared to all of the other babies in the cage w/ her.

Unfortunately - Pow Wow's personality changed a bit after being a mother - and I'll share about that in another post sometime. :cool:

But I will never forget the look on Pow Wow's face when she suddenly discovered LIVE babies in her nest....how happy she was and how she was so thankful to me. She really wanted to be a mother so badly.

I'll also never forget her pride at having HER baby. She knew which one was hers ... and she was so pleased that she had one and it was alive.

Oh - and she never had stillborn kits again.....

Peg

I'm wondering if maybe I should make this a celebration of her life.....instead of grieving over her death.

So with that in mind...here are pictures of her little girl that was born and raised with the foster litter...

Peg

By the way - here are some of the babies that were born at the same time - when they all got put together in the weanling pen. Some of these (I forget which) are the ones Pow Wow fostered.......maybe you can understand how she KNEW which baby was hers?????

And for those of you who are wondering - yes - there is a NON-Lionhead in there.....in fact more than one - but there might only be one in the photos..

Peg

TinysMom wrote:

And for those of you who are wondering - yes - there is a NON-Lionhead in there.....in fact more than one - but there might only be one in the photos..

JENSON?! JENSON?!

IS THAT YOUUUUUU :bouquet:?

Hi Peg those are beautiful pictures of Beautiful Babies.

Now here's a real dumb question. Why are some so much more Fluffier? Will the younger ones look like that when they get older?

Susan:runningrabbit:

The fluffier ones are the "teddy" style lionheads - they look almost like a Jersey Wooly or an Angora (well - not that wooly) or something like that. I'm not really familiar w/ other breeds to tell you what they'll look like.

Sometimes they will shed out to look like a lionhead should look (it may take 8-12 months) and other times....well...you get a puffball!

Peg

SOOOSKA wrote:

Now here's a real dumb question. Why are some so much more Fluffier? Will the younger ones look like that when they get older?

Something like this puffball?

2007_0806lilynoah0019.jpg

t.

TinysMom wrote:
The fluffier ones are the "teddy" style lionheads - they look almost like a Jersey Wooly or an Angora (well - not that wooly) or something like that. I'm not really familiar w/ other breeds to tell you what they'll look like.

Sometimes they will shed out to look like a lionhead should look (it may take 8-12 months) and other times....well...you get a puffball!

Peg

SOOOSKA wrote:

Yep. What is really amazing though - is that her mama is NOT at all like that and her littermates are not like that. I really thought she would LOSE that and tone down into looking like a lionhead with the traditional mane, etc. She still could for that matter.

But her mom is really sleek and her littermates are sleek and she used to be sleek until one day when she just sorta poofed out...

Peg

myLoki wrote:
Something like this puffball?

2007_0806lilynoah0019.jpg

t.

Latest posts

Back