Rest in Peace Princess Pow Wow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I know I know...as a breeder...I suffer more losses than most folks. Some of them - really hurt a lot.

This is Pow Wow....during her last few months she got the nickname "Princess Pow Wow"..

I also called her "Princess Pouts a Lot" too.

I knew we were going to lose her - she'd had wry neck and stasis and was recovering when she took a turn for the worse. Last night she slept in my arms from about 2:30 am until 6 am...and then today I put off a mystery shop so I could stay home with her and be with her. I actually was hoping she'd make it through this....she ate part of a carrot this morning.

I held her off and on most of last night and today - but I put her down to come check my email around 1 pm or so. When I went back in my bedroom about 1:20....she was gone. She was holding onto my nightgown with her teeth (I'd put it in the basket with her to keep her company).

I'm bawling my eyes out - there's so much I want to say about her - but right now I can't stop crying long enough to put words together.

We thought she'd beaten the wry neck...she was doing laps in her pen, etc. But I know things can happen.....rabbits can take a turn for the worse very quickly..and she did.

Binky free baby - I'll write a better tribute when I can see the monitor again....right now - I'm just crying too dang much.

Mama

I am so sorry to hear about your loss... And I am so sorry that I really dont know anything that can help with the pain... :(

Binky Free Beautiful Little girl! Your mama misses you.:rainbow:

Not Pow Wow :(. She was a sweet little girl, even though she put up such a fight to take her meds!

May you rest in peace, sweet Pow Wow. Say hello to Ginger up there in bunny heaven :rainbow::anotherbun.

Thanks everyone - I'm still in shock over this. I made myself go out and do my mystery shop that was scheduled and I've got to do the report (online) but I have to call in two shops from yesterday before 5:30 pm my time - and I can't stop crying when I'm in the house. I mean...literally....I can not stop the tears.

I was crying so hard earlier that Robin heard me in her room (the room Amy stayed in) and she came out to hug me.....but that's how loud I guess I was (my desk is right by where her bed is).

I want to scream - its not fair. She fought through so much and a week or so ago she was running around her NIC pen (pink and black panels even) and doing laps and just being such a little character.

And now she's.....gone.

Oh well - I have to stop this - I have to pull myself together long enough to phone in two shops and then let Art know if I want to go out and celebrate our anniversary when he gets home from work tonight. I don't think I can handle it ... a celebration right now.

I'm sorry to dump on you folks...I am just....numb....heartbroken....

I really thought she was gonna make it after all. She ate a carrot this morning and everything...

Peg

I'm sorry again Peg.

Milly died on my birthday and my in-laws were coming down to take me out for lunch. Going out was the last thing I wanted to do.......but I went for the sake of my kids really. I did'nt enjoy myself and was amazed I managed to hold back the tears, but it sort of took my mind off things. I like you could'nt stop the tears when I was at home.....maybe itwill help you a little, just for a short time. :(

I am so very very sorry Peg. Bless Pow Wow's heart.
Dump, vent and cry on us all you want and need to. I'm sure I speak for everyone here on that. We have big broad shoulders.
Warm gentle hugs to you, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Binky Free Princess 'Pouts A Lot" :) Have a safe Journey to the Bridge.

~Sealy

TinysMom wrote:
and then let Art know if I want to go out and celebrate our anniversary when he gets home from work tonight. I don't think I can handle it ... a celebration right now.
Oh, Peg...I'm at a loss for words. I want to say how sorry I am for your loss and also say Happy Anniversary at the same time. What mixed emotions you must have.

We found ourselves euthanizing a kitty on a night when we had an obligation to go out with some folks later that night. I could not stop crying. I knew I had to go...and did, but all I thought about was our sweet Rebound.

Pow Wow was so beautiful. She had to know how deeply you love her - you were holding her so much through her last days.

Again, you have my heart-felt sympathy.

Binky free, Pow Wow! :bunnyangel:

-Mary Ellen

Very very sorry to hear about this :(
Binky free, poor little Pow Wow...

It always hurts the most to lose the ones with the most spunk and the best will to live... I had a lizard like that, and she'd always make us laugh with her energy and fantastic personality, but she died on Halloween day last year. Can't say I'll look at Halloween parties the same again :?
So don't push yourself into anything you don't feel like you're ready for, even if you feel obligated. It might just make things all more difficult for you, and everyone.
I cried for my lizard for a month straight. So don't feel bad if you just need some time to cry :hug:
We're all here for you :hug2::hug2:

~Diana and Butter

Oh Peg, I am so sorry, I remember you saying how close you were getting to Pow Wow not so long ago. :cry2

Binky free at the Bridge little cutie:rainbow:, you were loved so much by your mama :hug1.

How are you holding up today, Peg?

Ive been thinking of you and praying for you during this difficult time. I know its been a rough year for you. I know how much you loved Pow Wow and how much you fought for her. She fought hard too for so long and through so much. She was a brave girl. Im sure she knew how much you loved her-you did more than anyone could ask to keep her comfortable in her times of need.

Let us know if you need anything, even just to talk. We're here for you :hug2:

This morning has been really rough on me. Waking up without her....it was really lonely. I still have to deal with Cordelia (another doe that got wry neck - and she was no where near Pow Wow when she got it).

All day yesterday I was angry - why Pow Wow....why couldn't it have been Cordelia who passed away? Pow Wow was...special. She IS special - even if it is only in my heart. I found myself yelling at God, "You took the wrong bunny. You took my precious and left the twerp...".

But late last night - as I dealt with Cordelia for her last feeding before bedtime...I cuddled her a bit closer and cried some. Today I held her and petted her for a bit and got over my anger. So what if I still have the Twerp and God has my precious....I'll live.

This morning I had a job interview for a job working from home....and I had to talk about being self-reliant and professional and stuff like that. I teared up as I shared with her how yesterday I lost a favorite rabbit - but I had a commitment (mystery shop) to do and I made myself go out and do it - and then I made myself stop crying long enough to get all of my reports called in, etc. I explained that is what professionalism is to me....putting aside what I'm feeling at the moment...to get the job done that I was commited to do.

The interviewer was almost in tears and she said, "I just want to tell you I'm sorry for your loss."

Oh - and I got a job offer too!

Anyway - I guess that when I lost Ginger - the grief was so all-encompassing that I almost couldn't function. But now...I'm getting to the point where I grieve...but I make myself get up and do what I HAVE to do...even if I don't want to. (I have a second interview this afternoon in an hour).

But yes - it hurts - really badly right now. I so much want to hold Pow Wow again.

However, after seeing her the last night before she passed away - I was ready to let her go. (I was for a bit - then she ate a carrot that morning and I thought, "Wow...we pulled through again"). I didn't want to see her hurt anymore...I didn't want to see her in pain.

So I'm going to close this with a story about Pow Wow. Over the next few days and weeks I may post some stories in here about her as I think about them.

Pow Wow came into our house from the 2006 Lionhead Nationals convention. I had pre-purchased her and knew she was coming - but I also got some other rabbits from that convention (hint...too many rabbits).

I had two siamese sables that I purchased - Pow Wow - and a buck.

When we got home - we were frantic to get the bunnies unloaded (we were exhausted) and so we put all the rabbits in cages. At that time - I didn't have as many rabbits and the boys were mainly in one area and the girls in another area - although there were some situations where I had boys beside girls because they got along so well and they had different style cages so they couldn't breed between the bars.

Well - everytime I went to feed the boys - this really friendly siamese sable came up to greet me. I would pet "him" and talk to him and love on him. I didn't check the tattoo or anything (I knew I'd bought a siamese sable buck)....and I kept telling "him" how I was looking forward to breeding him ... with his awesome personality.

Then one day - this lovely buck was nesting...and I thought I saw a bit of fur. I was in shock - so I checked the tattoo and realized - this buck was my doe POW WOW...and not my buck from another breeder. I quickly gave HER hay and stuff...but she lost the kits anyway.

I know..you're wondering how she was pregnant - right? Well....when I bought her - she was bred about 10 days before Nationals. She actually had the kits on day 28 and they didn't make it (all the other does (and a siamese sable buck) had received their nestboxes the day before).

Anyway - that is my first rememberance of Pow Wow - how SWEET and loving she was...and how much she loved pets...to the point - that I really thought she was a buck because she had a buck's outgoing and friendly personality.

Boy...did I have a lot to learn...

But that's another story...for another time. And I need to prepare for my next interview...

Peg

Haley wrote:
How are you holding up today, Peg?

Ive been thinking of you and praying for you during this difficult time. I know its been a rough year for you. I know how much you loved Pow Wow and how much you fought for her. She fought hard too for so long and through so much. She was a brave girl. Im sure she knew how much you loved her-you did more than anyone could ask to keep her comfortable in her times of need.

Let us know if you need anything, even just to talk. We're here for you :hug2:

Back