Resolved: URGENT! Split/cut skin on either side of the vulva

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Pics soon, just waiting for camera to charge

VERY urgent. Yesterday I bred all of my does for April kits, the buck did very well but refused to touch my thicker-furred grey doe. I went about breeding my other does and checked her later thinking she might really be a buck and the sellers were mistaken.

I flip her over, a bit underweight thats for sure, (mental increase of food, maybe temporary separation). Next thing I notice are the beginnings of a very nasty case of sore hocks. Alright. Treatable, I can handle that. Fur is a bit stained and tangled, but with her hocks the way they are I'm not too surprised.
After I check her to see if she's really a doe. Yes she is, but the skin and fur around her gentilia is odd, it's
loose like. Not connected properly.

I move some fur aside and oh dear god what happened...

On either side of the vulva (where a buck testicles would be) is split open and doesn't appear to have been treated and is an older wound (not fresh, bleeding, or inflamed). The good news is it does NOT seem infected, which is a plus.
Her vulva itself appears normal and uninjured. But the skin on either side of it, is not.

My question is, can she be saved? Has anyone had ANYTHING like this before? Could she live a productive life is healed up again, or is this a birthing injury?

This may seem cruel and uncaring to most, but this rabbit is not a pet or a dear member of the family, she is livestock. While all my livestock receives the best care and food I can provide, I cannot afford taking her to a vet. At home treatment is my only option.

I have seriously considered putting her down, but after speaking to my dad I am also considering separating her from the other does and beginning treatment.
She is eating and drinking well, her poop is normal, urinating OK, does not seem lethargic, does not show any outward signs of severe pain (she actually slept in my arms while I was examining her).

Another thing I would like to address, if possible, is if she could possibly be productive, assuming she heals. I brought this up with my dad the other day, and while he was correct that this external injury doesn't affect the internal workings of the rabbit. I am concerned about scar tissue, and the fact that it does not stretch or really act anything like normal skin. Since this is in an area I would assume is stretched during birth...I'm wary about keeping her as a breeder, to say the least. But she COULD keep my pet bunny company inside...

I'm not jumping in this with no-prior-experience. I've successfully treated everything from puncture wounds to a tail ripped off a rat (she lived to the ripe old age of 2.5, old for a rat).

I would be able to treat her with rubbing alcohol, peroxide, triple antibiotic ointment, and Lanolin ointment (I don't know how I went without the stuff).
I also have 17% Sulfur salve, though I'm wary about it. I considered using it as well on my two sore-hocked rabbits, but I'm afraid they might somehow ingest it and get sick.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll be posting GRAPHIC (please BE AWARE OF THIS!) pictures soon to give you all a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

I checked one of my other girls and they seem to be in the same location (and they had that same rabbity-smell). Right now I'm crossing my fingers and hopinghopinghoping that their just horribly dirty and crusty and not wounded as they appeared.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it last night. I did buy her as a breeding doe, but her personality is adorable. I was in tears when I thought about having to put her down.

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I'm certainly much more optimistic than I was before.

If they have a lot of build up in them (normally redish and waxy), you can clean them out. Use baby oil/mineral oil or some other safe oil (I've used olive oil before), and q-tips to clean them out. Gently work the waxy stuff out and use lots of oil or some warm water if the wax is stuck.

The waxy residue will stink like rotten onions and garlic, so doing it in a well ventilated area is a good idea.

Dirty scent glands won't prevent her from being a good brood doe. You'll probably just have to check her and give her a clean when ever she gets built up. Some rabbits just produce more scent stuff and get dirtier scent glands than others.

-Dawn

They where just horribly dirty scent glands, thank god :D When I flipped her over last night and these blackish, crusty looking slits opened up when I probed around...I thought she was a goner O-O it looked like she had split open then scabbed up (the waxy buildup was literally black in color). With her long nails, sore hocks, and thick dirty fur...not a pretty picture.

The inflammation on her sore hocks went away, so she's good on that front. You should have seen her two-inch toenails before I clipped them. Oi.

I'll be checking my other girls to make sure THEY don't give me a heart attack, but I think their all clean and nails trimmed. In all my reading about rabbits I never came across something that mentioned cleaning of the glands, it was certainly a scary surprise.

This is the doe that scared me:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94751919031_1535450903_30430750_5881330_n.jpg

I need better pictures of my bunnies '>-> snagging the camera doesn't go over so well in the middle of chores xD

I put resolved in your title, since the situation is now under control :)

Sounds like this girl is in some the hands of someone who cares about her now. I'm glad to hear her hocks are healing up and her scent glands are now nice and clean!

Dark, redish/blackish wax in the scent glands is normal, especially if they have not been cleaned for a long time.

-Dawn

LOL! Big hugs to you! Glad you didn't keel over from the shock:D

I remember being completely horrified the first time I saw bunny scent glands... had no idea what they were, and was ready to hit the vets!

I'd still like some graphic pictures of the scent glands, though, for the Library :p

Welcome to RO, by the way!
:hug:

Whew what a shock! So glad you figured it out. Scent glands are pretty gross especially if they've never been cleaned.

For the sore hocks, bag balm, udder cream, preparation h, non staining iodine, and neosporin are all good options. The neosporin can't have pain meds in it.

Back