(RESOLVED) RESCUE: eight babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish we could work something out where all the area rescues could coordinate together. It'll never happen, it makes too much sense. *sigh*

Patti, I really hope things slow down in August. At the very least I need space in the shelter for the babies I'm raising. But last year August and September were the worst for Sheboygan.:(

I am glad I took a look at this thread... As soon as I caught myself up on what was going on, I called a guy I work with who just lost his house rabbit. (The little guy lived to be eight years old, bless his heart.) I asked him if he might want to adopt or foster a single or a bonded pair. He said he would talk to his sister because her birthday is coming up and she has more pull with the parents. I already told him that Julie does have adoption/ foster guidelines for the rabbits she handlesand to be prepared for an interview. I hope you don't mind that I tried to put some feelers out there.This might help with at least one little soul.

myheart

Thats great news, myheart! Bless you for thinking of these little ones, and all those who come into Julie's care. Any that she is able to adopt out means more that can be saved from such an awful fatethat these little ones are facing.

Technically, I could put banks of cages in my house for foster buns, but I would feel guilty about not having the running-roomthey need for gut motility. If it were a temporary lay-over to another home, I would be more than happy to house for a day or two. But now that I have Patch, Luna, and little Katie so spoiled with their own rooms, it would kill me to limit them, and any other bun,on out-of-cage time. If I knew the weather would be nice, I could set something up outside for playtime, but then I don't know if I would have the time to supervise them.

I need another house just for bunnies--no people allowed unless they are there to clean :D.

myheart

... I'm in and out, and apologize for the time gone by before posting.

A few homes to take one or two, if you aren't overloaded or at your limit, will give these guys a chance. myheart, a prospective home would be terrific.

Photos of babes arrived.

Mucho obliged for everything an RO member & lurker does to save one or two.

myheart wrote:
Technically, I could put banks of cages in my house for foster buns, but I would feel guilty about not having the running-roomthey need for gut motility.

Now I just lost my big, long post. :(

Myheart, honestly, with the right set up with lots of shelves, they don't need run time. I had three five to six pound foster bunnies in a corner pen with three levels of shelves and they're slimmer and have better poops than when they arrived.

They must like it, honestly, when I open the pen, they won't come out!

100_4894.jpg

Ihave also found the more bunnies residing in the same room or pen, the better they get along.As somebody hereonce posted, they have a large pen or room full of bunnies, and they wait until dinner time and slip another one in, and nobunnyeven notices. (Now that's my idea of a warren!)

PS: It took less than 10 minutes to build this, it's in an awkwardly shaped corner but it was to my advantage -- it's in two separate parts thateasily come out for cleaning.

sas :cool:

Thanks for the reminder, Pipp. Rabbits like to go up, not just straight...lol. How many panels did it take to make that pen? Are you using cardboard on the perches? Would laminate do as well, or would it be to slippery? Katie doesn't seem to mind her bit of laminate for her perch. I will have to find the thread about cages only. I think it was in Photo Philes if I remember correctly.

TreasuredFriends, I have mentioned Katie to the guy a work a couple of times, but did tell him that if there was a particular breed or sex he was looking for, you could probably find the right bun. I said that age would be determined later according to availability. I also stressed the possibility of fostering if the interview went well. It sounded like they were very good to their little guy who just passed because they left him watch tv on the couch with the family. I hope to hear from him next week.

myheart

I'm glad to see they may be getting help closer to "home"! That'll be much easier for everyone (and everybun) involved.

:)

myheart wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Pipp. Rabbits like to go up, not just straight...lol. How many panels did it take to make that pen? Are you using cardboard on the perches?
I think that pen took 40-something grids. I think itwas originally one box with 30-something grids two-grids high, but I had to augment it so nobunny could jump from the couch into the pen for avisit. ;)

Theshelves are just grids with cut up carpet on top, these guys don't eat it.

It's in two pieces, the grids areclipped together to form a gate in the lower right part of the pic (the corner, not the overlapping grids), you unclip those panels and fold them across the grids where theshelves are andlift them out. The bunnies can stay in the shelf areas with the 'half gate' folded over if they need to be kept confined while cleaning.

It was an accidental design, but it works really well. Those grids make for a very flexible use of space!

sas :bunnydance:

** Never overload your own home and/or time in a day to care for one another. **

----------------------------

Bunny binks to every RO lurker, member (all the names in this thread) ~ plus for posting all the happy news on resolved threads and adoption leads.

Drivers tonyshuman and angela, sure appreciate your offers!!!

Will post more if these are saved, and please keep the happy resolved messages comin'.

slavetoabunny, myheart, leaf, golfdiva, haley, pipp...
bunny binkies to you and yours always.

yep, I'm here, able to transport during off-work hours, if you let me know when and where to!

tonyshuman wrote:
yep, I'm here, able to transport during off-work hours, if you let me know when and where to!

Same here. Let me know how I will be able to help!!! Just say the word....

myheart

PS. Won't see guy at work until Tuesday. Will find out as soon as possible and get back with you.

Anti-Cruelty would rather *NOT euthanize* all these baby boys.

Desperate last attempt. Call from Dotty at ACS this morning to ask if we can help out. ~ I will get working on a photo link.

Very sweet, nearing 3 months of age.

TreasuredFriend, would ACS permit Soulmates, or a local representative thereof, to pull any of these rabbits? Or, for that matter, any other small animals they might have on hand? What would they require in the way of credentials to set up an account? Just.... wondering.....

(Who me, on an "I can do anything" high after today's experience at Chicago Ridge?! :p Naw, never!)

What's the latest news? Are you still trying to get all 8 out of Chicagoland?

BlueFrog, ACS would go on my verbal permission.

I can phone ACS asap, if we can find a temporary foster space or rescue spot. I left a message today and I don't know if some were walked to back room to be terminated? That was after not having a spot at least for a few weeks to mid-November. :(

tonyshuman, trying for at least 2, or however many would have a spot to transition to. Yesterday all 8 had no place to go.

One charcoal small male, one smaller tan & white spotted, 3 black and white spotted, ... I'll go check the early baby photos ...

Let me make a phonecall tomorrow. I can't guarantee anything, especially without them being speutered, but now that the situation here has shifted (and so rapidly!) since last week's deluge it's at least worth trying.

Latest posts

Back