RESOLVED Nutmeg's been neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nut

Reaction score
Okay, so I went to the vet two weeks ago, and found out the Nut's a boy...I'd tell you more about it, but I have more pressing issues. If you want to know more, check out his blog.

So yesterday at about 8 we dropped him off to get neutered (I got to skip Gym :D) and he was really scared then (as he was at the first visit). He's been a nervous wreck. So when I got home from school my mom said she had already gotten him about twenty minutes ago. I took him upstairs and put him in his cage to rest. Just as I suspected, and very normal, he just kept flopping on his side and resting all day. I didn't think too much about it.

So today when I got home, he didn't eat at all, and there were only about 10 fecal pellets in his litter box and cage. The only time he would eat was when I hand fed him his hay, and he had about 2/3 inch of carrot (which I didn't really want to give him then but that's all he would eat). He would barely touch a raisin after I tried quite a few times, wouldn't even eat a yummy fattening pretzel treat (my last resort). I figured he was just in pain, but I called the vet because I didn't know how long he could go without food. So I took him in at around 7:20, and she gave him a needle for the pain and filled his neck with water under his fur...something about hydration seeping into the skin (he was drinking some water though before I brought him in and last night).

She gave me critical care Oxbow food to syringe feed. Thesyringe wasn't big enough I found out when I got home, so I gave about half. I had my dad helping (who was getting POed, but I know he still loves him...even though he doesn't like to show it), and Nutmeg wouldn't stay still. I tried wrapping him in a towel, but I was worried he would hurt himself with all his twisting. It ended up more on me and the couch than in Nutmeg or even ON him, and I just don't know how to get it in his mouth, especially now that I might do it tonight by myself because my dad went to bed. I might ask my mom to help in the morning...she's at work now, but I don't want to wait too long. I don't know how to hold him still, or get it in his mouth. Any suggestions? How long can bunnies go without food? He keeps sneezing now, do I have to worry about his nose closing up?

I'm really worried...he isn't acting himself and I hope he gets better. Any advice appreciated...Thank you.

He's probably in pain. The vet should have sent you home some oral pain medication to give him at home for a couple days after the surgery.

The sub-q fluids where good. If he's hydrated he'll feel better and be more likely to eat.

I would focus on getting him to drink. Use pedialiyte or water down no sugar juice to tempt him to drink. I would also offer a wide buffet of his favourite veggies. You can also try some alfafa hay, bunnies love it and it would make a good treat.

He should start eating over night, with his pain meds and hydration. I would still offer lots of yummy foods though.

--Dawn

Hydration is definitely important, so be sure he keeps taking in fluids. Sub-q fluids (lactated ringers) are used fairly often when they're not eating. If he eats greens, wetting the greens will help him to take in extra water. It's worked well for Devon. I think he should probably come around pretty soon. Males recover much faster from neuters than females do from spays.

Get well soon, Nutmeg:)

Did you see the paperwork from the vet?

He should have had pain meds before leaving, and they also give them some stuff to encourage eating a lot of the time.

Could be he's reacting to the anesthesia since he's sneezing and stuff too.

I'd definitely call the vet for a recheck if it continues.

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner, things have been really hectic with Nutty.

Bo, they gave him pain meds just after his surgery, but I guess they wore off because he wouldn't eat and was keeping his legs spread, and acting all funny. So the day I posted this, I went back to the vet for another pain shot and they gave him a shot of water under his fur...something like that atleast.

So I syringe fed him twice again yesterday. We actually got some more in, after my mom found out how to open his mouth right after like, one try. I'm serious, she should be a vet. She could put him in a trance before me, syringe feed him before me, do the dominance over the head thing I still can't do...She's like the polymath of animals! ...it's really annoying. :pBut I'm glad she is, we actually got some critical care foodin Nutmeg this time, so I'm glad.

Before I put Nut back in after surgery, I put Carefresh Ultra bedding in because I thought it would be better for the wound, instead of scratchy wood chips. Yesterday afternoon I changed it back to see if there were any changes (and if he was just being a brat) but there wasn't much of a change. When I went to bed it looked like there were some food pellets missing, but not much atleast, and a little more poop. I was still really worried, because things didn't look too much better that night. I said a prayer for Nutmeg (two prayers, one to St. Francis), and put Holy Water on him that I got at Church this Easter. I'm not trying to preach my religion or anything, but when I got home from school today all the food but a few (maybe 6)pellets were gone and I could see the bottom of the dish. I was so amazingly glad! And there was a nice pile of poop in the litterbox too! I've never been so happy to see a pile of crap, but I was.

So me and Nutty celebrated, and I think he now thinks momma is mentally insane, but I'm just so glad. I'll let you guys know if anything else changes.

Thanks for all your prayers, I'm sure He heard them and decided to help my little baby boy out. <3

Im so glad to hear he's doing better today! Have you or the vet checked his surgical spot to be sure theres no infection?

Its good to keep up with the critical care until he's 100% better. Also be sure he's getting lots of fluids (if he's not drinking you can syringe him some water too). Or, better yet, if you can get some children's pedialyte that works great at rehydrating them (and tastes yummy too!).

Also, giving him wet greens like romaine and parsley is good too!

Let us know how he does tomorrow. We're here to help. I'll be saying a prayer for your boy tonight.

Haley

PS. Carefresh is good for post op bunnies. If you need something long term thats cheaper try Yesterdays News cat litter. Its awesome :)

haha AngelnSnuffy. Always glad to tell a story!:D

The vet didn't look at the incision again (it was a different vet), but I looked once I thought I was able topickhim upagain, and it looks fine. There might be a little crust from an accident when we did the syringe feeding (and I didn't want to touch it and thought he would clean it himself), but it looks really clean and neat. I didn't even know they had to cut him open! I mean, I thought so at first, then I thought about why they would even need to...but then, I don't know. It all just confuses me.

I'm so glad to say he seems totally back to normal! He may even be eating more than before, lol. His drinking picked up again (although he was drinking before). I had him out earlier and he was actually snuggling with me for a really, really long time! Letting me pet him and nudging my face (or maybe pushing :p) and coming up to curl under my chin (or eat my shirt, lol). I mean, he's never been mean, but never this sweet either!

Thanks for all the prayers and concerns, Nutty and I really, really appreciate it. :)

PS. Thanks for the tip Haley (I LOVE your avatar!), I might try yesterday's news. Although I really would like to switch to a wood still, definitely not pine like I haveor cedar though, because Nutmeg loves to chew it (which is why the Carefresh wasn't so great). When I put the pine back in, he went chewing balistic, lol. Any suggestions for non-toxic wood?

I hope you don't mind if I add "Resolved" to the title of this thread so folks can know he's ok....

Peg

Im so glad he's ok!

Wood shavings really are not good for bunnies unless its aspen. The toxins are bad for them to breathe in and can also cause urinary and kidney problems if used long term.

Theres a great wood pellet called Woody Pet or Equine Fresh that many of us use. Its made for horse stalls and available at most farm/feed stores or at Tractor Supply Company if you have one. Its very cheap and works great.

Haley

PS. Thanks for the compliment- thats my lionhead Mr. Tumnus :)

Latest posts

Back