RESOLVED: New Mom Marilyn to be killed tomorrow - SF Bay Area, Ca

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh look at them!!! Little Blackie is just precious! peg, that is a good idea on the dwarf gene. He sure doesn't look like a peanut so I wouldn't think it was a double dwarf gene.

How wonderful you got them osprey!

Since she came in pregnant as a stray, we do not know who the father is. The mom is a smallish Hotot mix (sorry, I am not so up on the different breeds). I'd say she weighs 2 - 2 1/2 pounds, has the Hotot eyeliner thing and has black ears like a Himmie or Californian. She also has a few black spots on her back, but she is mostly white on the body. Her eyes are dark brown/black. She's quite a pretty little thing. The black eyes and ears with the white face give her a sort of inquisitive look, like she's saying "Hmm, what is going on here".

You should probably ask about the nest in the the Rabbitry section. I think I remember hearing that cotton and cloth shouldn't be used in nests, I think maybe the babies get their legs wrapped up in the fibers? Not sure. Newspaper and hay are good, and you might be able to get some fur off of the momma. The fur on their chest and nipples loosens up so they can pluck it, she may still have some loose fur that will come out with a little gentle grooming.

She is definitely a dwarf hotot. The black ears are a pretty common mismark, which I think is really cute.

How is the black one doing today? Is he good and chubby?

i would try and keep it to natural beddings that rabbits loth they can get caught or suffocate. I would use straw shavings and hay it will keep them very cosy :)

I saw mom chewing on some of the cotton this morning, so I am planning on removing it tonight. The last thing I need is her getting plugged up from swallowing cotton. I'll try to replace it with some hay. i have a snuggle safe now, so warmth will not be a problem going forward.

When my mama rabbit ignored her last litter, I covered them with kleenex to keep warm. It was OK but then I found that a couple had burrowed through the kleenex and it was wrapped around their neck so that was a bad idea. I finally used cotton balls too but nothing is as good as mama's fur. Wheb two died and there was only one left, even a heating pad didn't keep him warm. But my mama rabbit wouldn't feed them. It was bad. Your's are doing great.

My babies were continually movingtrying to find their mother, your's are contently sleeping with full tummies.. Much better,

I was able to get some alone time for the little black one and mom by holding mom on my lap and petting her while the baby was laying on a blanket underneath mom. Mom was a trooper, she did not complain at all. We heard lots of suckling noises and at times mom's fur was twitching as if the baby were pulling on a nipple. The baby is so small it is hard for me to tell if the belly is full or not. I will try this trick again later tonight.

We have the same problem over here now. Three weeks ago, two three month old siblings arrived at the shelter - they were found abandoned on cross streets. Last night, one of them, Annabelle... gave birth! And we had NO idea she was pregnant. The staff don't know yet, but we're working on finding them a foster home for the next 8 weeks.

:woohooOsprey,

Thank you so MUCH for taking in this little family!! I didn't even read this thread until this morning but I was heartbroken! I figured somebunny (!)would come to the rescue, but time was so tight. What a sigh of relief to read the outcome.

The shelter even threw out the nest? That is the most horrifying thing I have heard in my life! These people claim to know about and care about animals?!? Sheesh!

We had a surprise litter a couple of months back from a beautiful flemish doe we had recently purchased. It is so fun to watch them grow.

BTW, the babies should look as if they swallowed a ping pong ball after they've nursed. (Or since they are a smaller breed, maybe a big gumball?) Anyway, momma usually nurses about twice a day. You're smart to give little blackie a fewextra sessions, and it sounds like momma will be cooperative...yay!

We also found that our littlest kithad trouble competing with his siblings for the nippleswhen they were newborns, and then he was too was weak andtoo tiredby about the second feeding. We also had to help Sweetie (our momma)with him for a few days. Once they were all about 2 weeks old, he was better able to fend for himself though was still always smaller. Veryplucky though!He ended up being our favorite andwe called him Peanut til he was adopted.I think having to work at staying alive as a newborn gave him a wonderful spirit. So courageous!

Best of luck to all of you!!

The people at that shelter make me so angry. How on earth could anyone even think of killing a little family like that? We save wildlife all the time. If it had happened it would have been absolutely heartless. I can't imagine a human being that could be so cruel and heartless.

Why on earth would they throw out the nest? Absolute disregard for life. I just don't understand. It's amazing that momma had the courage to stay with them. Bravo little princess.

With supplemental feedings from mom, the little black one has a nice round belly now. He/She is still much smaller than the rest of the litter, I wonder if this one will end up being a dwarf. He/She is about half the size of the others. I cleaned out their place tonight and built a new nest for them. They have grown quite a bit in just 2 days!

Marilyn_Litter_010908.jpg

Aww...they're so DREAMY!!!

Especially the one (two?) with that little black spot on their back...

:inlove:

hehehe I thought the one on the left had several black dots..... turns out my screen is dirty :p

I'm in love with the little black one. I also can't stand how cute the other three are with their shiney peach fuzz and the 2 black dots!

Osprey, it makes me sick thinking they were going to put them down - thank you a hundred times for caring enough.

I'm so glad tosee little Blackie all cuddled up in the middle of the group. He looks so nice and warm. The pink ones are so cute too. DollBabies

I love the little wiggies sticking out. Heehee so tiny. Is there anything cuter than baby buns?

OMG you are these babies and mama's angel! Thank you so much for taking them in and saving these little angels their lives! I"m glad they are all doing ok, and I will be praying that all the babies continue to do well and grow up to be healthy bunnies :)

Considering how many people are following this thread- you may want to start a blog with pictures, etc. so we can all watch the babies grow...

Peg

I've been wanting to ask you about Marilyn.....I hope my questions won't sound strange.

I know that a lot of does can become cage aggressive after giving birth - even if they're used to their breeders. Marilyn had her babies in one cage in a strange place - then got moved to another strange cage and had to deal with a stranger (y'all)...

How is she doing? Did she adjust really well? Has she been agressive with y'all? Does she seem to be relieved to know she's with someone who really cares about her?

Just curious...

Peg

Hi Peg,

She has certainly gotten more protective/aggressive over the last few days. She lets me know of her displeasure when I have to take her out to either clean the pen or give her some alone time with the tiny black baby. She grunts and growls at me, but once you pick her up she is as sweet as pie. Luckily she is not a biter, she has never tried to hurt me. Going from the shelter, on two long car rides, and then to our house, she must be very stressed. She is pretty cuddly, she seems to enjoy her pets once I have her in my arms and she settles down.

She eats constantly. The combination of recently giving birth and lactating has made her very hungry.

I am still concerned about the little black one, he/she is still so much smaller than the others. I'd hate to lose him/her now.

Latest posts

Back