RESOLVED: La Crosse, Wisconsin: Bleak future for 2 big black rabbits at our shelter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15242005?recno=3

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15241953?recno=5

Well 4 months ago we got a surrender of 2 large black rabbits at our shelter. They had lived indoors but are pooly socialized particularly in the area of handling. We have used towels to pick them but inevitably they are squirmers ..particularly the male; they would do well in any homeof a very experienced adolescent or adult who knows rabbits well.

They are about 10 lbs each and would not do well caged because of their size but would do well if an xpen was attached to a cage or even if they had xpens as homes ( like mine live)

They do not bite at all ,however, so could be in a home with kids as long as the kids were not attempting to pick them up. They also love to be petted so that is also a plus.
They are also spayed and neutered.

They were named by children and because of this have ended up with the crazy names of Bunny Boop and Hunny Bunny. I actually do not think this has helped them in terms of being adoptable.

They have been at Petco for several months and yesterday the manager asked us to take them back to the shelter as there has been NO Interest in them at all. While they were at the shelter absolutelyNOONE was interested in them.

Why ?

Well I am going to be honest; they actually are large and plain and black and not cutesy whatsoever;they just need someone who just loves rabbits and wants to give them a chance at a life.

Right now Wi shelter are overflowing from a big confiscation and although we almost never euthanize rabbits anymore.I cannot see these 2 having more than several more months at the shelter.

They are not bonded so can be adopted separately

Unless you are a rescue any individual who would want to adopt them would need to go through the routine adoption process. This means that the shelter checks vet records of all current pets and also checks to see if dogs and cats in the home are current on distemper and rabies andalso licensed .The shelter overall just checks everything to make sure that they are adopting the animal to a really good home.
The fee for these rabbits is $50.00 each but I believe ( I know) that with a good approved application that we can negoitate that price down a whole lot to almost nil
The kennels operation manager would really like to see them get good home.

Can you open your heart to a a big black bunny or 2 that is not getting a fair shake.?
Anyone interested please pm me pm me (angieluv)
if you want more pics let me know and I will get more
Thanks
Maureen

I think they're beautiful, with that gorgeous fur! I hope somebody will see them and their hidden potential. The names are quite ridiculous. Can you ask to rename them? I doubt they know their names.

We usually leave the names of animals who were surrendered but you are right Claire.

I'llask about changing the names to something better .. Several years back we got a male named Bud and a female named Weiser ..LOL that is so Wisconsin. :p
We changed the females name to Kali and actually thoses bunnies were adopted by TK Bunnies and I believe both of them are at Rainbow bridge right now

RIP Bud and Kali

I wish I had the room hopefully they find a home I love big black animals.

CoCo
Black Beauty

New names just giving you a thought.

I would take one if I had the time money and I thought storm would bond but I know I can;t handle another bun right now.

I really hope these guys find a home

People seem unwilling to adopt black bunnies. The rescue I work with is filled with them. There is nothing wrong with them, they are good bunnies, but they all get overlooked because of their black coats. That's the only explanation I can find for it.

I hope they both find a great home or homes! :goodluck

Rename them "Eclipse" and "Twilight".

Write up a cutesy bio- "These 2 dark angels don't bite humans, although they do sparkle in sunlight. They are secret snugglebugs who love to be pet, but prefer to keep their feet on the ground."

Great idea Djakarta!

The homeless black animals phenomenon is sadly across the board species-wise. Black dogs, black cats, black rodents, etc. all aren't adopted as readily. At our shelter black dogs on average stayed at the shelter 2-5x as long as similarly sized and tempered non-black counterparts. It's very sad.

I hope you can find a wonderful home for them. We had a bonded pair of brothers that were around 10 pounds each and black. We had them in rescue for over a year before a wonderful family adopted them.

it is so sad, i love black bunnies, i also love black and white cats, it is ashame that black and black and white animals are so much harder to adopt out?!?! I love Djakarta idea for names!!!!! i hope they are able to find homes soon

Djakarta wrote:
Rename them "Eclipse" and "Twilight".

Write up a cutesy bio- "These 2 dark angels don't bite humans, although they do sparkle in sunlight. They are secret snugglebugs who love to be pet, but prefer to keep their feet on the ground."

I don't really want to write a "cutesy" bio becauseI want folks to know that these rabbits do have issues and I want the folks to know exactly what they are adopting

I do think that that ifthese buns were more sociable and a little more snuggly that they may have been adopted despite their color.I think that it is because they are larger and not easy to handle .

We have had plainer bunnies that were easier to hold and snuggle that did get adopted

but I love these names and will talk to the kennel manager today about changing them. :D

They look like the one I just fostered, which I named Midnight. My favorite bunnies at the shelter are all black.

"They are not bonded so can be adopted separately",Might I suggest, hold on to one and return the other to the shelter so they will be available at two places.
Good luck with them.

I don't understand why people look at an animal's fur color because I love my black lab! I also have a self-black guinea pig. If I had more experience (& room), I would love to have them both. I try to take in those that need a home more than what they look like. (I have several GPs that are 'special needs'.) I wish you luck w/ finding them a good, forever home.

I don't get it ,,large rabbits are my favorite! You know I have not met many rabbits that like to be picked up .My Flemish giants hated it ,,but yet they loved to be petted .I wish I was closer ...

Wow, I think they are gorgeous!
I wonder if a large, outdoor enclosure setup would do them better? Where they wouldn't have to be troubled by humans. I know they lived indoors but it might be better for them. Something I definitely want to setup for rabbits with behavious problems in the future.

Goodness..what beautiful bunnies...i really hope they find a good home or homes where they will be loved and cherished.

Most Humane Societies in WI won't adopt to outside homes. Although I personally think large, properly secured outdoor sanctuaries can be great for bunnies that aren't well socialized and can't find an indoor home, not everybody holds to that. Since these guys have lived inside before, they probably just need some time with people to warm back up to them, though. But in cases of hoarding or overpopulation, when there's a large group of feral rabbits, an outdoor sanctuary can be great, like what Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary did for the hundreds of bunnies they got from a hoarding situation in AZ.

Poor bunnies. They are so big and floofy. I love big bunnies too. Black ones are also my favorite, but that's because I was influenced by Kirby :) I do find that the dark color fur buns are harder to get adopted, even the brown ones because they are "plain". The white ones are in-and-out usually. White lops sometimes fly out the door. Big black buns and those with a little bit of a learning curve are so easily overlooked :tears2:When I adopted Kirby, the shelter lady in NJ actually told me that she was glad I picked Kirby out of the 8 or 10 she had because she was afraid people wouldn't adopt him. Black buns are so often overlooked for some other "cuter" looking bun.

We alsohave a bonded pair of black bun sisters.Also Satin mix fur. They are young (just under a year old) and so full of energy. Very playful, endlessly entertaining towatchtheir antics 24/7. But they are black furries and somewhat of a handful because we are adopting them out as a pair, plus they are young and inherently mischievous. They've been with us for several months and at Petco for well over a month, maybe even 2. No takers yet :(We don't really understand it, not even the managers at Petco. Even they think the girls are adorable. :(

Pipp wrote:
Out of curiosity, are they not bonded by choice or they don't get along?

Hope they find their way to safety soon. :(

sas :clover:

They were not altered when they came in so they were never together. Now that they are spayed and neutered possibly they could be bonded.

We have a possiblity of Midwest Rabbit Rescue in Michigan taking them but not for sure and no transport arranged. it is a LONG distance from La crosse Wi to Plymouth Mi
The kenel operations manager here needs to talk with the shelter manager there ( who is on ths forum)

so for now they are definitely available for adoption.

kirbyultra wrote:
When I adopted Kirby, the shelter lady in NJ actually told me that she was glad I picked Kirby out of the 8 or 10 she had because she was afraid people wouldn't adopt him. Black buns are so often overlooked for some other "cuter" looking bun.
Yeah, after I stumbled upon Pipp and was thrown into the bunny life, I called a shelter to say I'd foster a bunny and told them I'd take the one least likely to be adopted and they sent over Radar -- a plain nondescript black bunny.

:sosad

Back