Resolved-Kirby's bonding bump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamaor

Reaction score
Kirby received a scratch during one of his first bonding sessions with he girls it was so small I didn't even feel it when it happened. It showed up as a scab a few days later then the next day an abscess appeared. I got him right in to the vet and they gave him a shot of baytril. and sent me home with a weeks supply of twice daily oral doses. When I got to the end of the week his lump had started to shrink so I contacted the vet and asked if we could do another week of baytril to thinking this would get rid of it.
Well I have 2 more days of doses and the lump is really small about the size of a pencil eraser, but its still there. What next? Do we finish the course and watch it to see if it goes away on its own or what?
It hasn't slowed him down any and he doesn't want to cuddle with me anymore because he's sure I'm going to give him the ick! On;y good thing is getting a papaya treat afterwards.

I would be asking the vet for some stronger antibiotics. So many strains of bacteria have become resistant to baytril.

Injectible is generally better as it's stronger and easier for their tummies.

I'm not sure which ones to recommend talking to your vet about, but there will be others along shortly that will.

--Dawn

I'm in no position to add meds, but Randy would say go for Zithromax, forget Baytril. Right? If it was my bun, I would as well!

I would finish the Baytril, though it might not do any good and start some Zithromax upon your vet's prescription.:)

Best of luck, keep us posted on the happenings with the bunner!:)

Also, if this is an actual abcess, we need some other responses from those who have dealt with them first handedly.

Personally, I don't think Baytril will do much for an abscess. I like to use PenG, and I think AngelnSnuffy is right that Randy would recomend suporting it with another antibiotic.

Yeah I would ask your vet about using Bicillin. It has worked wonders for treating abscesses. You give it via injection every other day. Check out the library under "abscesses" for more info. Baytril is pretty useless against abscesses, especially oral baytril.

Im sorry youre having to deal with all this. Is he being a good boy otherwise? Let me know if you need help with anything, Ive dealt with these nasty abscesses quite a bit unfortunately.

Give him a kiss from me. :bunnieskiss

Well....first we need to determine if we have a real abscess or just a localized infection. If it is a true abscess, baytril will not resolve the issue. As most everyone on this forum knows, I am not a fan of baytril. It was once a miracle drug, but like penicillin in humans, improper use has allowed many of the sensitive bacteria to become or start to become resistant. If you use baytril, it does seem to be more effective when injected over oral dosing. And if this is a true abscess, the core contains anaerobic bacteria and baytril is not up to the task. Very few of the top exotics vets use baytril now.

The proper way to diagnose and treat any infection is by culture so you will know what the pathogen is and what it is sensitive to. In years past, we could just about assume most infections in rabbits were being caused by a bacteria known as pasteurella multocida.....but in today's world, we can't assume this any longer. Not only are we seeing other pathogens, strains of pasteurella are becoming more and more resistant to drugs such as baytril and the sulfanomides. My drugs of choice against most infections are penicillin, zithromax or chlorampheniol....either alone or in combination depending on what I am going after. There is a new drug, called Convenia, that has just become available in the US. It is in the cephalosporin family...something along the lines of keflex (some people are very allergic to this class of drugs). It has great potential. It appears to be rabbit safe only as an injectable.

My non-professional opinion....if baytril didn't resolve the issue within a normal 10 day course, another round is only going to toughen the bacteria. I think a time out and a look at the game plan is in order.

Randy

Did you finish the remaining two days of the medicine?

How are things looking now?

Kirby went back to visit Dr Aja and the gang. He's won them over cause he is such a good boy and sooo cute!
Anyway Dr Aja drained what was left of the abcess and gave Kirby another shot and antibiotics for a few more days. He felt it was so small that to drain it would be the best way to go. Kirby was a trooper didn't faze him a bit. When I checked the area this morning it is healing over and looking good no bump or anything.
Thanks to everybody for suggestions and comments it great to have someone to talk to, that is a slave to these little furballs too.

I wish I would have known about the forum when Mocha was alive it would have helped.

:mrsthumper:

Yes, I'm happy to report Kirby's abcess is gone and we finished up the Baytril this week. He is very happy to be done with that as am I, now we can get back to cuddling. He didn't like me holding him for any length of time because he figured I'd stick that nasty syringe in his mouth.:sickbunny:

Thanks for all the advice everybody!:biggrin2:

Back