Resolved: Erik is beginning stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Rich was a wonderful rabbit veterinarian. I walked into his office and there's a poster saying, "Everything I need to know, I learned from my rabbit," my favorite being, "Digest the newspaper daily."

He was optimistic about Erik. I decided to let Erik stay at the hospital for a few days. He's still bright-eyed and everything- the Dr. said that when they're like Erik, they're usually in a good way. He said that we helped him out by doing what we did. He also said that he thinks its hair, not carpet- because it's not any harder than a normal hairball. He apparently sees about three cases a week of this, so that made me feel better!

He will be administering the protease and lactulose combination, some other stuff as well. We will also be changing Erik's diet pretty radically- pellets only three times a week, and oodles and oodles of hay otherwise. Fiber, fiber, fiber! Also lots of Critical Care.

He will be calling me tomorrow morning with an update on Erik's status. He thinks Erik will be moving things through relatively normally by Monday. I really liked him.

For the "advanced" cases (like Erik, where just fluids and mineral oil etc. don't get him through) Dad will refer them out. Like I said..he was a great doctor. I'm glad that he's now handling Erik's case.

Dr Rich called this morning! He said that Erik is doing, and I quote, "wonderfully!" He has pooped a LOT and is really passing it! He is also apparently sweet to everyone and everyone thinks he's cute. Apparently pure black rabbits are kind of uncommon.

At any rate, the Dr. believes that Erik will be back to normal by Monday or Tuesday. We're going to continue the treatment he's currently getting until he's back to normal.

Sorry I've been stingy on the pictures...in all honesty...I haven't wanted to stress him with the flash. He really wasn't feeling well when he was here, though he was doing better on Thursday. Wednesday, apparently all he did was lie there and be sick. By Thursday he began passing it.

angieluv wrote:
:woohoo:litterhealthy:
You GO ERiK and I mean that literally...................................
:laugh::yeahthat: :biggrin2:

Erik's improvement didn't require surgery, correct? What did Dr. Rich do that made all the difference (e.g., IV fluids)? I'm just curious and, yes, relieved. :)

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
Erik's improvement didn't require surgery, correct? What did Dr. Rich do that made all the difference (e.g., IV fluids)? I'm just curious and, yes, relieved. :)

Jenk

We treated Erik with a "base" treatment- SQ fluids, lots of hay and greens, and at the beginning, some liquid paraffin for laxative. However, after X-ray was taken, we quit with the mineral oil and kept him on the fluid and green. But by Wednesday, (I noticed all of this Monday night. At noon Monday he was eating, drinking, etc. I came home about nine thirty and noticed he was having problems.) anyway by Wednesday, when it became clear that he really wasn't passing anything (this was the treatment that worked last year when he developed a hairball then, too...) we called up Dr. Rich. We knew he needed to be on Critical Care, but we had no way of getting any, as all the companies were closed.

He also received some Nutri-Cal from us, as we thought it was better for him to have *something* going in him.

We gave him a few doses of lactulose- the laxative to draw water into his gut. (That was funny story- we called it into Walgreens. They put it as pickup for "Rabbit *my last name*") At any rate- the lactulose helped him pass some stuff. Buuuuuut we didn't have the protease (the enzyme mentioned in Dr. Krempel's article). And he wasn't passing like we wanted him to.

Basically, Dr. Rich added the enzyme, and is syringe feeding him Critical Care. He is getting a lot of hay and fiber. The enzyme eats away at the mucus holding the hairball together- which helped turn it into a big, slimy mess that's easier to pass. The lactulose draws moisture into the gut. The Critical Care helps keeps the gut flora balanced and also lets him get some yummy nutrition.

As I said- Erik's diet will be pretty radically changed. Pellets only three times a week. He will mostly be living on hay, and I'm pretty sure greens were ok'ed as well.

I'll be receiving daily updates until he's completely normal again. And I'm waiting for Tuesday to come!

I'm interested in learning more about the lactulose and protease

It sounds like the lactulose is prescritpion but is the protease something that could be obtained at a health food store?
And I am glad that he's better...

Ivory wrote:
...We didn't have the protease (the enzyme mentioned in Dr. Krempel's article). And he wasn't passing like we wanted him to.

Basically, Dr. Rich added the enzyme, and is syringe feeding him Critical Care. He is getting a lot of hay and fiber. The enzyme eats away at the mucus holding the hairball together- which helped turn it into a big, slimy mess that's easier to pass. The lactulose draws moisture into the gut. The Critical Care helps keeps the gut flora balanced and also lets him get some yummy nutrition.
If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Krempels has started that care must be taken with protease...that it may cause irritation (possibly even sores) along the digestive tract. I'd double-check on that, but I'm almost certain it was protease that she was discussing in her article.

My Emma develops stasis symptoms (e.g., smaller-than-normal poops) often. I'm currently syringe-feeding her very watery Critical Care to get extra fluids into her system. I've recently started her again ona plant enzyme-probiotic compound (sprinkled on her greens), which I hope will make a difference in terms of breaking down mucous that maynormallyretain hair in her system.

My other Mini Rex can't even handle watered-down Critical Care. I gave it to her for just over a week's time to offer herextra fluids and nutrients; she became very gassy/uncomfy and wound up back at the vet's office. She may need a follow-up appointment, too; I may have disrupted her gut flora, which is super-touchy. Oy...

I sincerely hope that Erik's dietary changes make a big difference in terms of his digestive health. :)

Yes, she was talking about protease. Protease can burn some of the oral mucosa. That's why some simethecone is administered before hand, to coat everything, so it doesn't burn as much.

I am REALLY glad this method of treatment is working for him, that is great news.

To my knowledge, this treatment is one that is not commonly used or known by most vets. It is a shame, because it obviously works in emergency/acute situations but most vets would rather prescribe a motility drug treatment than proteolytic enzyme and lactulose.

The proteolytic enzyme is something I wouldn't recommend picking up at a store however. It is something that should be used only when absolutely required and always under vet supervision. Some people have apparently tried to use it as a maintenance method, to very painful results for the rabbit. It isn't a standard product to be carried at most vet offices as well but if the vet is committed to using this method of treatment they should be able to obtain the proteolytic enzyme and lactulose from most pharmacies.

This thread has inspired me to add this information to the rabbit references, so it is there now in case this topic comes up again! This is a very favourable outcome so far for Erik :highfive:

I'm so glad Erik is doing better!
I hope he continues to make progress and recovers nicely.

:goodluck

One of my rabbits just went through stasis not to long ago. I gave her .5cc of pineapple juice (from an actual pineapple) mixed with .5cc of water twice a day. I also gave her lots of romaine and parsley, as well as hay. She's normally a water bottle drinker but I gave her a bowl of water as well and she started to drink from the bowl only so it was a good idea. She never completely stopped eating so that was helpful. Two of my rabbits died a while back from stasis and it was even harder cause they had to be force fed. Good luck!

*sigh* His tech forgot to call me. But the Dr. himself should call me or Dad's office tomorrow and Tuesday.

Part of me didn't expect the call today, and I didn't want to nag, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm looking forward to knowing tomorrow though.

Erik is doing GREAT and will be able to come home tomorrow! Mom will be picking him up, not sure if tomorrow...I'm telling her to take a picture! So I can post it. I miss my baby so much and I'm SO GLAD that he got through this.

Erik's new diet will include mostly timothy/grass hay and pellets three times a week. I am thinking of switching him to the Oxbow pellet. It will also consist of greens.

Wheee I'm so excited! And glad that he got through this!

Ivory wrote:
Erik is doing GREAT and will be able to come home tomorrow! Mom will be picking him up, not sure if tomorrow...I'm telling her to take a picture! So I can post it. I miss my baby so much and I'm SO GLAD that he got through this.
I'm glad, too. I know what it's like to fret over a bun who's been hospitalized. Go Erik! Chances are, his recovery will benefit all the more from being back home with you. :D
:party:

Latest posts

Back