Resolved: Erik is beginning stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious. I know my bun- some people wouldn’t notice much of a difference, but I know my Erik. When I came home, instead of springing up when I walked in, he got up for a second then laid back down. There was poop all over his cage- something there never is. Solid, hard, good poops…but it’s odd to have him pooping all over his cage. It’s even odder to have him not jump up to greet me, and it’s extremely odd for him to refuse the three treats I gave him.
I picked him up and felt his tummy- feels soft and normal. No bloat or hard stomach yet. But while he’s not in distress- some wouldn’t even be alarmed or notice- he’s obviously in discomfort. He is moving fine- not having any problems with locomotion. But after watching him…he moves little, shifts a little, then lays back down in a comfortable position. He’s trying to pass his poops. I ran to the grocery store and bought two things of Pedialyte- one unflavored and on pineapple flavored. I gave him some CCs of the unflavored, put extra greens in his pen, and put loads of timothy and alfalfa hay to stimulate him eating. He really isn’t moving much. He’s pretty bright eyed, but it’s obvious he’s at the beginnings of a problem. I’m going to have to check on him between classes- no easy feat. If I can make it home. I hope to God I can make it home between classes.
This is the exact same time he got sick last year, and the year before. I am truly beginning to believe that there is something in his body that reacts to the seasonal changes, that causes him to have this problem.
Wendy is going to give me a bag of Lactated Ringers for tomorrow, to administer to him if need be. I was going to take him home for the Thanksgiving holidays. I have no idea if I’ll be able to make it or not.
I really could appreciate some thoughts or at least encouragement. It’s the first time I’ve dealt with Erik’s problems on my own, without daddy to assist me. I called him, and he told me what to do. If I need to I’m prepared to bring him to the emergency hospital at LSU. But if he can hang on until Wednesday I can bring him home, and he can receive his care there.

The first thing to do is to take a deep breath and be calm. Stasis can be very scary - I've gone through it now many times with many bunnies...and it still always catches me by surprise.

You're doing all the right things right now - as far as having the lactated ringers handy for sub-q and giving him the pedialyte. I use the bubble gum flavored for my bunnies...only thing is - they don't want to go back to water afterwards!

I would recommend a couple of other things you haven't mentioned...

• Simethicone (for gas/tummy problems) - I give 1 cc per hour for three hours - then I give it about every 8 hours after that.
  • Canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix...just the canned pumpkin) - I found this to work very well with many of my buns - the pumpkin has the fiber for poops but also some hydration to it.
  • Most folks will tell you don't do this - all I can say is - do what you feel will work best. I mix a bit of baby food (usually banana) with the pumpkin - to get them to eat it. About 90% of my bunnies will eat it this way without much of a fight - and usually once they've tasted it - they look forward to it.
  • I would continue to push hay (of course) and greens - but non-gassy greens. I like to use parsley and Romaine lettuce. I frequently soak this in water first for about 10-15 minutes and then try to get them to eat it.
Carolyn - the first moderator of this forum- had a rabbit that was in stasis and I want to say he was in stasis for like 2 weeks or so before he finally pulled out of it. It was about 3 years ago maybe? I forget exactly - but I remember he was sick for quite a while....

....my point is to say that if you keep him hydrated...I wouldn't worry too much as you try to work with him to get this to work itself out. I have had rabbits that wouldn't eat for 3 or 4 days - but I kept them going with fluids and the pumpkin/baby food - and they pulled out of it.

I also tend to do one other thing - I try to give a bit of pain killer. I find that many times if they can relax....maybe then they'll eat. HOWEVER - as you well know - I'm not a vet. I just know how I feel when I'm hurting...and that I don't want to eat. I don't really give a "full dose" per se...just sorta enough to take the edge off the pain?

My reasoning for this is that I know some pain meds can upset the tummy...and of course I don't want to do that.

Final word...I am NOT an infirmary mod and I don't claim to be great at this...but I know what it is like to be alone and trying to figure out what to do...

Ivory wrote:
It’s pretty obvious. I know my bun- some people wouldn’t notice much of a difference, but I know my Erik. When I came home, instead of springing up when I walked in, he got up for a second then laid back down. There was poop all over his cage- something there never is. Solid, hard, good poops…but it’s odd to have him pooping all over his cage. It’s even odder to have him not jump up to greet me, and it’s extremely odd for him to refuse the three treats I gave him.
I picked him up and felt his tummy- feels soft and normal. No bloat or hard stomach yet. But while he’s not in distress- some wouldn’t even be alarmed or notice- he’s obviously in discomfort. He is moving fine- not having any problems with locomotion. But after watching him…he moves little, shifts a little, then lays back down in a comfortable position. He’s trying to pass his poops. I ran to the grocery store and bought two things of Pedialyte- one unflavored and on pineapple flavored. I gave him some CCs of the unflavored, put extra greens in his pen, and put loads of timothy and alfalfa hay to stimulate him eating. He really isn’t moving much. He’s pretty bright eyed, but it’s obvious he’s at the beginnings of a problem. I’m going to have to check on him between classes- no easy feat. If I can make it home. I hope to God I can make it home between classes.
This is the exact same time he got sick last year, and the year before. I am truly beginning to believe that there is something in his body that reacts to the seasonal changes, that causes him to have this problem.
Wendy is going to give me a bag of Lactated Ringers for tomorrow, to administer to him if need be. I was going to take him home for the Thanksgiving holidays. I have no idea if I’ll be able to make it or not.
I really could appreciate some thoughts or at least encouragement. It’s the first time I’ve dealt with Erik’s problems on my own, without daddy to assist me. I called him, and he told me what to do. If I need to I’m prepared to bring him to the emergency hospital at LSU. But if he can hang on until Wednesday I can bring him home, and he can receive his care there.

Peg ..you said it all..

the only thingI do alsosometimes is to give fresh pineapple juce mixed with water or pedialyte

Ah yes I forgot to mention that I dosed him with a few drops of simethecone when I gave him the Pedialyte. I like your idea of every three hours, give a dose.

My main problem is that he's going to be alone for a while by himself tomorrow- I leave at 6:30 and get back at 5:30 or so. I can MAYBE run home to check on him between two of my morning classes.

The greens are mostly baby romaines and oak leaf, I think there's some ranchiddo in there (however you spell it). No spinach.

Like I said he isn't gassy yet- but he isn't showing interest in hay, treats, or greens. I will give him a dose in the morning. Maybe I just won't go to class, but I don't know what good it will do me. It's my most important class. :?

After trying many treatments over the years, I've had the best results with Nutrical. It provides nutrients as well as helps the rabbit stay hydrated.

Simethicone can also be helpful in balancing out the acidity of the stomach during stasis. I also push the parsley and a little grated carrots.

Pam

Good news- Mom is coming up to get him and bring him down to Dad. He hasn't shown any interest in food yet. I gave him Pedialyte- but we had drama with that. He has gotten some simethecone as well. I also haven't seen any new poops.

It was kind of funny...I called at about midnight last night. When I gave him the Pedialyte, I think I squirted some down too fast...because he hacked about three or four times. Which freaked me out...so I called Dad. Dad, being the sleepy grumpy person he was at time, was like, "It's probably because he has another hairball and is trying to cough it up..." "Daddy he's a rabbit, not a cat." "Oh yeah...forgot..."

Sigh....he's competent when he's awake I promise...

He's grooming himself some though and he's randomly lying around/sitting up. He's still trying to pass whatever it is. I think he's really badly constipated- it may not even be in his stomach but towards the intestines. It isn't gassy or bloat. But it's slowing him down. I have a feeling he's going to get warm-water enemas and SQ fluids and some other meds when he gets home.

Pam I will put a little bit of Nutri-Cal on his paw. He hates it, but he can live.

Ivory wrote:
Pam I will put a little bit of Nutri-Cal on his paw. He hates it, but he can live.

I just sqeeze a little directly into the rabbit's mouth to avoid a sticky mess everywhere.

Pam

angieluv wrote:
How's he doing?

I know that you're in school now but hopefully you'll let us knowwhen you come home between classes

I stayed home today because the class was a review session- no new topics of interest. Erik is no better, but no worse, either. My mom came up and is bringing him down to my home town. He will be under Daddy's care from now on. When he gets home, he will get fluids. We think he's constipated and possibly having a buildup near the base opening of his stomach, like last year. As of now, we don't think he will need to be opened up, which is good to me.

He is staying with Dad until my finals are over/Christmas, in case he gets sick again. I was prepared to bring him to LSU's emergency clinic in case I had to, but they wanted me to stay focused on school.

Ivory wrote:
angieluv wrote:
How's he doing?

I know that you're in school now but hopefully you'll let us knowwhen you come home between classes

I stayed home today because the class was a review session- no new topics of interest. Erik is no better, but no worse, either. My mom came up and is bringing him down to my home town. He will be under Daddy's care from now on. When he gets home, he will get fluids. We think he's constipated and possibly having a buildup near the base opening of his stomach, like last year. As of now, we don't think he will need to be opened up, which is good to me.

He is staying with Dad until my finals are over/Christmas, in case he gets sick again. I was prepared to bring him to LSU's emergency clinic in case I had to, but they wanted me to stay focused on school.
I would die and go to heaven if I had a relative who was a vet and loved me and my rabbitstoo.:D

I hope that he's OK without you with him..

probably will be ...
you couldn't have a better plan than that..

I think he'll be okay. I'm not home for most of the day. I forgot to send his stuffed friend down with him though. :(I'll have to bring it down Wednesday. Mom feels bad for him and has been petting him- she's not much of a bunny person either. He's in good hands.

I'll keep everyone updated on his progress. Lord knows I'm going to be worrying by butt off.

Lol Angie I gotta admit...it's nice having a vet in the family who loves your bunny. Truth is, Erik helped me through some really rough depression times, and my parents are grateful to him for that. It's weird not having the bunny around though.

Erik got a basic exam when he got home. He was agitated from the car ride, apparently, and was acting very curious. Which is better than the malaise he was showing here! Perhaps if he's a bit agitated, he'll exercise a bit more, and it'll help break something up if he's got something.

He didn't have a fever and a blockage wasn't felt upon first palpation. Buuut that's what happened the first time. An X-ray will be taken a little later. He received 100 ccs sub-Q fluids. The X-ray couldn't be taken because of an emergency. But he's actually been curious and perked up a little, which is good. (Even though we think it was the car ride.)

I sent down his Nutrical, his toys, his food, both hays, cage, and all of his accessories. Mom is going get him some greens from the store.

Somewhat unrelated: this weekend, we were talking about motherhood. I was talking about how I didn't know if I'd be a good mother. Today, all I got was, "You're going this for a freaking rabbit, God only knows what you'll do for your child." Which is what Erik essentially is.

Update:

Erik ate about a cup of greens and some fresh grass from outside. He's on a greens and hay diet. Daddy says that I'm feeding him too many pellets, which may be contributing to his problems. Right now he's on 1/4 cup a day. I think I'll have to knock him down to half that. He thinks it's "hairballs". Erik just goes through such bad molts.

He made about a thimble full of poops and is drinking some.

Note: "hairballs" really isn't necessarily an accurate term, but it's what I call them. Because they're caused by hair accumulations.

I am totally sympathetic with you on this one, and I totally agree with your Dad. 1/4 a cup isn't a lot of pellets for most buns, but it might be for Erik. Basically what happens with the pellets when there is a potential hair/mucous accumulation is that the pellets become dried and stick to that hair/mucous. It forms into a hard mass that is hard to pass. I know you already know that Ivory, but figured I'd put it out there for others reading this ;)

Since he has passed something that is good- he doesn't have a complete blockage. Sounds like he is in some discomfort, if it were my bunny I'd hold off pain meds though.

I give my buns 1/8 a cup of pellets daily. I also give them several meals of greens a day, basically whenever I am going in or out the door I drop off a small pile for them. This really helps during heavy sheds. I was concerned at first that several greens meals a day would fill them up and keep them from eating hay, but it has done the opposite- given them more energy and appetite. I have a rabbit that gets acutely constipated/blocked frequently and we think it is a genetic issue- a narrowing somewhere in his gut. I don't know if any of these diet ideas would help Erik, or perhaps it could?

I hope Erik returns to normal soon. How good it must be to be in a family of vets! My mother is in human medicine, and although it is not the same as vet medicine she has taught me a lot, advised me and has supported me when my guys are unwell. Keep us posted on Erik, he is in great hands so you can concentrate on your classes!

Latest posts

Back