Resolved-Einstein is NOT okay.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
This is not easy for me to write because I'm not ready to lose another bun. I'm NOT ready (as if any of us ever are). I just lost Lennox. This isn't fair.

When I woke up this morning, Einstein was just laying in his pen. That isn't too abnormal, but he looked really uncomfortable to me. I can't explain it. I just knew he wasn't right. I fed the buns and Einstein too, but he didn't come charging at me as he usually does. He has some cage aggression issues we're working on, but there was no response whatsoever from him this morning. Yeah, big clue something's not right.

I picked himup and he didn't struggle. He was just limp. His stomach is really tight feeling so I've already gone ahead with some Simethicone drops and a tummy rub. It didn't seem to do anything - he's still the same. I've also syringed him some homemade Pedialyte (from the recipe I found on the site).

I also tried to get him up and moving and he did hop around a bit, but he seemed very lethargic and very tired after only a few steps. I put him back in his pen and he's breathing really heavily. He did poop both in his pen and outside of his cage this morning and they look to be normal.

Oh, let me say that I've already put a call in to my vet. I should be hearing back at any time now. I'd prefer to have him seen there rather than an emergency vet.

He seemed absolutely fine last night. No eye or nasal discharge, breathing was normal, he ate and drank as usual, and he even tried to attack my hand when I fed him. So I had no reason to worry. And he was pooping/peeing normally.

I don't know what else to do. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet and will take him in if necessary. I don't know what's wrong and I feel absolutely powerless to do anything. Am I a bad bunny mom since I just lost Lennox and now may lose...no. I can't lose him. I just can't.

Please help if you can or at least spare a prayer for my Einey boy.

I am so sorry to hear about Einstein Lexi. I'm not that experienced with sick bunnies so I don't have anything to add with what your already doing. Hopefully some more experienced mods and or memembers will be along soon.

Sending positive vibes your way~~

(((HUGS)))

Maria

Oh no! Poor Einstein! I really really hope he will be okay, Alexah. He's such an adorable little guy, one of my forum favorites. His personality is really cute too, even if it is somewhat problematic at times. Please be okay, Einey!

Einstein seems to be doing a little better at this point. I really appreciate everyone's kind words and prayers.

We did end up taking him to the vet, but the vet didn't see anything that tipped him off on anything life-threatening. He did give him some sub-q fluids and he's since perked up a bit. I'm going to continue syringing him the Pedialyte solution as well as a pellet slurry. He's not taking any food or water on his own at the moment, but he did nibble on some hay when we got back from the vet's office.

We're guessing it's just a pretty severe bout of gas. I'm going to also continue with the Simethicone drops and tummy rubs to see if that helps move things along. I also picked up some Nutrical and will try to smear some on his paws for him to lick off.

I'm hoping the worst is over, but we'll take him to the emergency vet clinic tonight if he hasn't continued to improve or, worse, if he starts to go downhill again. But as of now he seems okay. I definitely wouldn't say that he's acting like himself yet, but he is perked up and interested in his surroundings. And that's a start.

I'll keep everyone updated, but I'm hoping for the best. Thank God because he's my baby...even if he is a baby with some 'tude ;).

Wow this sounds exactly like what I went through with Benjamin andPatrick. I was too late with Benjamin because everything seemed "normal" for him, so I went out for a few hours arriving home at the usual bunny bed-time. Had Patrick off to bed as usual, went to pick Benjamin up, and he was limp like a rag-doll. I tried juice to perk him up, but I was too late. Two weeks later, I went through a similar event with Patrick (one week after bringing Luna home for him). He ate fine the night before and was happy to see Luna in the morning. By late morning, he was all huddled up breathing fast and shallow. (Way too soon after losing Benjamin--I couldn't lose Patch also!!!) I made his cage ready with fresh water and cleaned his litter. Then I just started with the juice to get him some energy real quick. I had to give him juice a few times before he started to fight back with me. At the time I was talking to Naturestee, and she suggested something for gas. So while he felt like fighting, I ran to the store. For Patrick, it turned out to be molar spurs as his primary aggravation to his lethargy.

Hoping your bun pulls through :pray:

myheart

I was going to say from your description is sounds like gas. Anytime I have a quick onset of a bunny not feeling well, its gas. I always freak out though, especially if you cant feel/hear the gas because they always seem worse than they are.

Keep up with the simethicone and tummy rubs just in case. Let him get lots of exercise and put tons of hay in his litter box. I would even syringe some water/pedialyte if he'll let you.

Praying your boy is ok.

Haley

I have a question about the simethicone. Is it a tablet or liquid? How do you give it to a bun who may not want to eat? And, how much should they get?

All good stuff to know just incase :)

Here ya go: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10&jump_to=222400

Its baby gas meds in liquid form. The kind I have is a walmart equate kind. It has a dropper that comes with it so you have to usually bunny burrito your bunny and then put it in his mouth, a little at a time. You give about 1cc (same as mL)- you cant really overdose them so if they are bad I give 1-2ccs to start and then another cc every few hours for the first day. Then if they are improving I give 1 cc morning and night for the next few days.

Einstein is doing A LOT better this evening and I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and prayers.

It was definitely a bout of gas. To be honest, I've never had a bun go through something like this so it was all new to me and I completely got caught up in fear and emotion. I'm incredibly relieved that he is back to his old, goofy self.

I, too, use Walmart's brand of baby gas meds. But they did the trick and I can sleep easy tonight knowing that Einstein's on the mend.

Thanks again! It feels so good to mark this thread as RESOLVED :p.

Thats awesome news!

Gas is very terrifying- they always look like they are on death's door. Biggie Max had it bad early this week and even though I knew it was probably gas, I was freaking. The difficult part is that if its just the beginning sometimes their bellies wont even feel gassy. So all you see is a bunny pressing him belly to the ground (sometimes peeing on himself in the process) and not eating/being lethargic. Its definitely scary.

Anyway, glad your boy is better. Keep us posted!

H

The nice thing about gas is that it usually passes quickly when treated with simethicone. I'll treat with a hefty dose and if it's not better in a few hours, it's vet time. I'm so happy that Einstein is feeling better!

Latest posts

Back