RESOLVED: Columbus, OH - Union, MO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on your bunnies - I picked the 4 that are westward bound up last night and they stayed here with me....2 boys, 2 girls. 1 black boy, 1 white boy, and 2 white girls. They all seem to be in good condition....all skittish, but that's understandable. The black boy appeared to be the most skittish of the bunch.

Overall, they look like they didn't get attacked by the animal the way my Rilo and the doe who went to someone in SE Ohio....only a couple of them have had one or two toes nipped and they're really not bad at all. A couple DID have some balding fur on their hind feet, like the beginnings of sore hocks...but nothing too terrible.

This morning I drove them to the breeder who is keeping them for the week. If something should fall through and we can't get them to MO for a third week in a row, she has no problem keeping them and finding homes for them herself. In fact, she said she has a friend who has been looking for a black NZ. BUT, I told her that I should know definitely by Thursday whether the trip to MO is on!

There are 2 more bunnies who need placement, but I believe I have that covered. The friend of mine who said she'd drive straight to MO with me said she may be able to foster one....and even if she can't, this breeder said she'll have room for both of these bunnies....who I will most likely be getting Monday night and bringing to her Tuesday afternoon.

SOOOOO.....Leaf!!! LOL. What I need you to do is send me directions on where you want to meet up. If you can drive east, even if just an hour east, that would be wonderful. Also, let me know what time so I can try to plan when to leave. I believe it's roughly a 7 hour trip (not adding traffic issues or any of that in...) from Columbus and I'd like to arrange it so that we can arrive in the afternoon. I'm thinking we'll try to leave here by 7 or 8am...which means we'd get in to your area by....2 or 3, roughly? It'll be NEXT SATURDAY 10/27.

And now, the best part of my post...I have pictures of your new babies!! Please do remember that the bunnies are not spayed or neutered (which I'd really like you to promise that they'll be altered....as well as let your friends know it needs done ASAP), so if you decide to take a male/female combo, you'll need to have separate carriers and cages for each. I had no problems with fighting while they were here, so I suspect that wouldn't be an issue should you choose to take both females or both males.

The girls:

v3ir68.jpg

The boys (the black one was pretty freaked out....the white boy wasn't as much as it looks like he is in that pic. He was VERY curious):

2h3scch.jpg

Sooo....Jessica, just let me know ASAP about what I asked and I can let my friend and the breeder holding these bunnies know what's up. And if anything might change, please let me know as soon as possible so other homes can be found if need be. :)

Leaf wrote:
You adopted one, another person in Ohio adopted another - I'm taking two, two friends are taking one each and someone is fostering one... which one am I not counting? I'm trying to keep track of it all, but got derailed. Is the breeder who will be housing them temporarily bekeeping one?

I can't thank you enough - and next weekend would be wonderful. I'd be able to further transport the one to Springfield that weekend, and the other the following weekend, if not through the week.

The black boy is just stunning.....I was sooo tempted to sneak him off into my little bunny herd....and say I don't know what happened to him....hehehehe.:biggrin2:

:bawl:I wanted to play with them!!!

It's probably a good thing I didn't cause those are gorgeous bunners!

Oh they're beautiful!! I can't wait until they are HOME - they sure deserve it! I've already spoken to my vet, letting him know I'll be wanting to bring in 4 new rabbits. I figure before Cara, Racheal and I split them up it would be better to get them in for an initial exam all at once. It'll be easier to schedule the spays & neuters then, as well, and if anything the three of us can have a get together when its done.

You've really worked hard on this and we're all very greatful for it! You don't know how much! I've emailed you this morning about directions, phone numbers etc... I hope you have fun on the trip and have a chance to relax as well!

Well, my friend who is looking to bond her Flemish Giant, Magpie has decided on the white male, and she's already calling him Bruce. :)

I can't wait until they get here!

What a great name for him! I can't wait to see them all happy at home! Will you take photos of the ones going to your friends? They are just so pretty in the photos we've seen.

I'm really excited for all of you.

Hey Jessica,

I got your e-mail (forget if I responded....I've been preoccupied with my boyfriend - first of all he hasn't been home for a week because he was out of state with his dad, and now that he's home, he's having some pretty serious back issues....so I've been taking care of him....can't wait til he's all better, lol)..... The directions sound fairly easy. I'll send you my cell phone number and get in touch on Thursday or Friday just to confirm that everything is ready to go!

Susan, the lady keeping the bunnies for now, said they're all doing great...she said they all seem curious and want to come up to check her out, but they're all pretty skittish. She said both females seem to be moreso than the boys. But they're doing great!

Jazz,

What size pet taxis will they travel best in? I'm going to have to go buy some this week I guess - I haven't had any luck reclaiming taxis I've lent out.

I dont know whose crates you'll bee bringing them in, but if you'd be interested in selling them let me know and I'll buy from you before going to the store.

I'm glad your boyfriend is back, and I hope his back getsfeeling better. :(

There will be many, many pictures to come!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Is this transport still on for this weekend?

No.

Jazzaroosky's boyfriend is having back troubles that'll keep him from travelling distances for the time being. I've had back problems myself so I do understand the reasoning.

She's going to try to place the rabbits locally and if that doesn't pan out we'll try again to set up a transport system to get them here.

She let me know yesterday afternoon so today I'll get in touch with Racheal and Cara to let them know.

:(

I'm sorry this isn't working.

When something like this keeps falling through, I find that there is a reason and I just don't know what it is, yet.

I believe too, there is a reason for everything. Eventually it'll come around, whatever the future may bring.

Sorry to have kept everyone in the dark about what's going on.....this week has been very stressful and tiring for me.

Long story short, my boyfriend regularly has a few back pains. It hurts for a while, but goes away. He was in West Virginia all last week helping his dad build a barn on some land his family owns down there, and must have used his back too much....because this week he's been basically immobile. He got back on Sunday, was really sore, went to work Monday, and has been in a lot of pain since then. Went to the chiropractor on Tuesday and after some x-rays, found out that he has some pinched nerves in his back and is completely out of whack. I don't understand the degree rating or whatever it is....but I guess normal is between 38-40....he rated at 49. SO....he's had to go back twice a day every day this week for adjustments and because he's unable to sit without being in a lot of pain, I've had to do the driving back and forth (missing some work at that). I'm EXHAUSTED....he's in pain....we're a pair right now! :help

Susan, the person who has the 4 who were supposed to go to MO, was able to find homes for them no problem. One friend of her's took one of the boys, and another took all three of the others. I'm bringing the remaining 2 out to her this evening.

But now here's the other new development....

The two does I picked up last night (both black girls)...one has a few toes that were nibbled off on one of her front paws as well as one of her hind feet. The other...I was completely shocked to find out that one of her back feet has a deformity so that it's in the shape of a "Y" basically. It's very strange looking, but doesn't appear to impede her movement any. She has a couple toes that have been nibbled as well. And her teeth.....I *think* she may have some mild malocclusion....I'm not sure. I talked with my friend Danielle, who's a CHRS volunteer and asked her opinion. REW bunnies and big bunnies in general are more difficult to adopt out than other bunnies....but as I'm sure you all realize, ones with health problems and deformities are usually the hardest to find homes for. Rilo is a clown of a boy, very personable....I have no doubt that he will be able to find a good home and make someone very happy. The "Y-foot Girl"...I'm worried about her. So last night I thought long and hard about keeping her and bringing Rilo to Susan for placement. After discussing it with Danielle, who confirmed what I was thinking about ease of adoption of REWs vs bunnies with health issues, I've decided to keep this black girl.

We set up a vet appointment for this Sunday to have her checked out. Hopefully her teeth are alright.

Thank you to everyone who helped and volunteered to help with the transport. I wish we could have proceeded (heck, I was excited to see MO...I've never travelled that far west, lol), but it just doesn't look like it was meant to happen or something. The good thing is that even though the bunnies didn't make their roadtrip, they did find homes around Columbus, thanks to Susan.

Jazzaroosky wrote:
Sorry to have kept everyone in the dark about what's going on.....this week has been very stressful and tiring for me.

Susan, the person who has the 4 who were supposed to go to MO, was able to find homes for them no problem. One friend of her's took one of the boys, and another took all three of the others. I'm bringing the remaining 2 out to her this evening.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the timingkind ofbothers me.

We have been expecting them to come this weekend ever since the 19th of this month.

On the 24th you emailed me letting me know your boyfriend was having back trouble, but said you were hoping your friend could make the transport and it wasn't cancelled "YET" -butit on the25th Ireceived an email sayingthat the transportwas off.

Today, the 26th, I read that they have all been rehomed.

Ican only hopethat they were all rehomed on VERY short notice afteryou decided not to make the transport and emailed me about it around 3pm yesterday.

There's nothing to be done about it now, though, and at least they all did get placed. It's a small victory in the rabbit world and I wish them the best.

:apollo:

I brought the bunnies to Susan last Saturday with the intention of picking them up tonight and driving to MO tomorrow. They've been with her for nearly a week. I've been trying my best to keep everyone up to date on what was going on.

Susan said that she would be happy to keep the rabbits for the week and that if it didn't work out, she would be able to find homes for them, no problem. She is, from my understanding, a big-time breeder in this area...and as such, she has quite a few connections in the local rabbit scene. She had told me upon my drop off last weekend that a friend of her's had wanted a black NZ for some time, so she knew that if things fell through with this transport, he would have no problem being placed. And like I said, the other friend of her's took the other three rabbits. I'm sure she communicated with her friends during the course of the week and let them know there was a chance these bunnies would be available. And when I told her yesterday that the transport was off, she contacted them to say, "Hey, your rabbits are available."

I swear to you there is no conspiracy or funny business going on. I would be driving to Missouri tomorrow if it weren't for my boyfriend being unable to go and me needing to stay here to help him. I love rabbits and I want to do all that I can to help those that need helped, but in this case, my boyfriend is a bigger concern and priority to me. I was hoping that he would have been feeling better by this weekend after going to the chiropractor so much throughout the week, but he woke up this morning unable to move and unable to go to work. I can't expect him to indure a 14+ hour car ride. It would kill him. It's painful for him to sit, stand, or lay in the same spot for even just 5 minutes right now.

I'm sorry that it just did not seem to be in the cards. If the transport train could have been arranged and all legs filled, we wouldn't have ever had a problem to begin with. Thank you for trying to help, I'm sorry it did not work out, and as I said, nothing has been planned behind your back - earlier this week I had every intention of driving to MO. Plans just changed.

(Edited to add: My friend who was possibly going to be able to help, would only be able to travel that far if I were going with her. Which is out of the question because I need to be here to help my boyfriend while he's basically on bed-rest due to his back. I do not blame her for not wanting to make the trip alone - neither would I)

well Im happy to hear they have found homes, but Im sorry for you Leaf because I know how excited you were.

As a side note, we're trying to place 30-40 rabbits in Michigan who were scheduled for slaughter bc a breeder cant care for them so if anyone is interested Im happy to get pics and set up transport. Im guessing theyre probably NZs or a similar breed.

Haley wrote:
well Im happy to hear they have found homes, but Im sorry for you Leaf because I know how excited you were.

As a side note, we're trying to place 30-40 rabbits in Michigan who were scheduled for slaughter bc a breeder cant care for them so if anyone is interested Im happy to get pics and set up transport. Im guessing theyre probably NZs or a similar breed.

I'm in central Indiana if I can help in a transport, you know I will. (Or babysitting overnight.......)

Latest posts

Back