rescuing rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove

Reaction score
Lately on CL I've noticed a higher number then usual of free rabbit postings. Usually you can't find any on CL (kijiji is another matter) but lately there has been quite a few. I feel awful, don't people know better by now then to post free anything let alone a critter that could end up as snake food?! Ugh. I'm tempted to maybe take one in at a time since I do have an empty cage and try to rehome them myself, charge a rehoming fee and do home checks etc as I know it isn't being done. I've posted some of the recent ones on my blog hoping that the few people that do read on some of the forums I'm on it might be able to help.

I'm not sure if I should try to take in these free rabbits one at a time of course and rehome them myself though. I do it with cats plenty though I have help with shelters with them this would be completely on my own. :?

I'd recommend teaming up with others. I know there are rabbit rescues in Ontario. It's always nice to have someone to back you up.

Honestly I stay away from Craigslist, etc. With the eternally overcrowded shelters I already have more than I can handle.

Here's an Ontario rabbit education group. You may be able to contact others through this.

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/index.html

Also, I'm sure this rescue would love another foster home:

http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/

That's very similar to how Liz and I got started rescuing, although we didn't get the rabbits from CL. One at a time would be do-able, but we got in over our heads pretty quickly. Our first rescue was 6 rabbits from one home neglect situation followed the next week by two rabbits abandoned in a foreclosed home. We neutered and spayed them out of our own pockets and actually were successful in a few adoptions.

Gainesville Rabbit Rescue contacted us and asked us to affiliate with them. It has been a huge help. Not only do they help with expenses, but our rabbits are listed on Pet Finder now.

Even if you just want to help one rabbit at a time, affiliating with a rescue organization provides a great support system for you.

Rabbits on CL are going to get worse as the Easter season approaches.

If you want to help with rescuing rabbits I agree with the above said, but want to add personal tidbits:

I "started" after receiving my first bunnies. It didn't take long in my community to find many rabbits in need after people realized I'm "crazy" and keep them as pets or rehomed them to pet homes (altered, so no breeding abilities) instead of meat products.

For a while I tried my hand in "rescuing" by taking pets in that were in need. The trouble is, in this area it is very hard to find pet homes. I have a huge network of friends throughout the state, but it was not uncommon for the bunnies to be transported upwards of 200 miles to find responsible homes.

That isn't a deterrant, but did impact my "selection" of ones to save. My criteria had to go to those in immediate probability of euthanasia, those in deplorable conditions and those in need of medical care that would otherwise not receive it unless I stepped in.

I'm not above emailing Craigs List posters about this forum. I dont agree with people posting CL bunnies here where scathing remarks *may* happen, because in all honesty, the CL posters may stumble upon the site when looking for rehoming options. My intent when directing people here is to help get the word out on the bunnies here, in a rabbit loving community.

Through word of mouth people now *know* me when it comes to area rabbits and at times I'm contacted about some in need. I'm currently "on alert" about one with an eye issue that may be dropped off at a local feed store. A store employee called me about the rabbit once the owner contacted them and I've agreed to take it in BECAUSE it may very well need vet assistance. Had the rabbit been perfectly healthy I probably would have passed it up because I can't save them all and with the economy as it is (in this area a major employer just laid off 102 people in their first wave of 2009 layoffs) responsibly rehoming will be a pain for me, as an individual.

That just said - narrowing down my "intakes" so severely is also key to one important thing: What if I am unable to rehome the rabbit? Am I in a position to keep the animal long term - or indefinantly? If I have to honestly say no at the time, that has to be taken into immediate consideration.

IMHO I'd truely think about those you want to work with. Perhaps set criteria (such as red eyed white bunnies, giant breeds, older bunnies, blind bunnies, tooth issue bunnies, splayed bunnies) and go from there.

Everyone seems to have a breed (or breeds) they admire the most. I know I sure do but at the same time I want to seperate myself from "rescuing" a rabbit just based on looks or breed preference. Those easier to move are great to help BUT if you could move them fast - couldn't the original poster trying to rehome?

To me thats more like "flipping" an animal and a lot of financial responsibility (spay/neuter) could be lost if you cannot reclaim your vetting fees (I rarely get half back on any fully vetted rabbit I work with) and I've come to realize the money I LOSE on rabbits such as those could have gone to more extreme emergency type cases in order to restore health to those in dire need.

Establish a relationship with a vet, or a few vets in your area who work with rabbits. You may be suprised at discounts given for bringing in multiple rabbits, or for helping boost their rabbit clientel.

Keep vet records in order. There are many well meaning "rabbit watchdog groups" that want to make sure individuals doing "rescue" work are true to their dedication and not just going at in a half hearted manner. These groups can be beneficial in the end in some cases, especially as your name gets established and you want to expand in your desire to help.

In all, I guess, it's NOT about the quantity you save, but the quality in which you enrich the lives of those you do take in, work with, and ultimately rehome.

Linda, who runs the rescue I foster for, runs it out of her home. Its small, and she relies heavily on fosters.

ETA: The rescue also works with some pet stores, as they will keep the available rabbits for adoption at their store, allowing more people to see them and thereby they get adopted quicker.

Gainesville Rabbit Rescue is also a 100% foster based organization. Locally, here in Daytona Beach, if there is an empty cage at the shelter we recommend that owners who wish to surrender their bunny take them there where they will get more exposure. We'll transfer them to rescue if the shelter becomes overpopulated, but like to start them out there if there is room.

We had a guy call the other day wanting to surrender his two male bunnies and since the shelter had been 100% empty for 3 days we suggested he take them to the there. He told us he asked the shelter about euthanization. The shelter told him "We don't euthanize rabbits here"!!!!!! We are making a difference.

Great post, Leaf!

I very much agree that you need to be prepared to care for a rabbit for the rest of it's life. Some rabbits need special homes that take a long time to find, others may have or develop health conditions that make them unadoptable.

I've fostered two rabbits through a small,foster-based rescue (Soulmate Rabbit Rescue). The rabbits primarily come from shelters where they are in danger. I adopted one myself, the other was adopted out. After adopting another rabbit who came to me through the Humane Society, as well as my allergic nephew moving in when he graduates this spring (taking up my basement "foster room"), I no longer feel that I can provide life-long care to a foster rabbit. So I've made the decision that I will only do short-term fosters for the local Humane Society. I've already done this for them by caring for a mom and her two litters until they were old enough to be adopted. If need be, I'll do this again. Also they sometimes need someone to foster a rabbit who is recovering from illness or injury. This is what I can do, because after a few months the rabbit goes back to the Humane Society to be adopted instead of potentially living out his life in my house.

Sorry if that's a bit long winded, but it's an example of what you need to consider when fostering rabbits. It's important to step back, analyze your life and your limitations, and decide what you can and can not do.

Thanks for the info everyone. It certainly is something to think about carefully before doing. I knew that when the idea first popped into my head. :)

Latest posts

Back