rescuing a guinea pig!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I'm rescuing a one year old male guinea pig. I have never owned one before and know very little about them. Anything I should know? Good websites to have on hand? I'm getting him Monday! I'm excited!!

http://www.guineapigcages.com
I like this page. I have 2 guinea pigs and 2 buns. Mine are 8 months old. We've had them for 3 months. I've build a big cage for them. Cute little animals. I love it when they know they're going to eat :)

I'm happy to answer any questions. I'm still learning as well. A lot of people use fleece as bedding. I've tried once but I'm not sure if I'll switch over yet. They love to run run run around. Not sure about when they are older or with a single guinea pig. I have 2 so they play and run around with each other. Before we got the second one, Gizmo wasn't as playful and wouldn't really do much. A lot of people say they need a buddy. They poop any and everywhere. I have't tried to litter train, but I've heard they can be.

Hope this helps a bit. :) Good luck. I'm excited for you.

The website lionhead posted is a very good one; I also like Wheekers. I don't know if you know it or not, but guinea pigs and rabbits should not be allowed to mix. They are also pack animals, and will do much better with a friend, so you could/should look at getting another one too.:biggrin:

Will he be ok with another male? He has been alone for a year now and I wouldn't want him to fight and I'm sick of bonding sessions (5 months after midas and sasha's first session I have gained no ground)

You absolutely want a male. You'll end up with babies otherwise because they usually don't get spayed or neutered. Same sex bonds can be safe, but you would have to date them similar to dating bunnies. I've heard it is best to do the scary thing of kenneling them together and riding them around. Makes them bond faster if they are going to bond at all.

Also with same sex bonds, you may see more posturing between them because they still have to decide who is the dominant pig. It is actually quite cute to watch one be all 'tough' to make sure he is top-pig.

Don't forget the special pig pellets that have vitamin C added and oranges. Pigs are prone to scurvy because they don't make their own vitamin C.

Good luck with your new little guy! Pigs are a blast to watch and cuddle. Oh... and watch for his first popcorn!! Way too cute when they are happy!!

myheart

Latest posts

Back