RESCUES: BEFORE and AFTER PHOTOS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what this particular thread did to me?? It made me decide to apply with SARS to be a foster for a rabbit/cat. I think i'd be a good foster mom and I know Isis would enjoy some friends around here. I can only take one rabbit and 1 cat at a time but that's one more foster for 1 more homeless critter. SARS says that they fund for care items such as litter or a cage so I can financially be helped in this aspect. I think it's a better choice than picking up a new pet when there are so many pets that need help, as shown above.

I was terribly heartbroken (still am) about Prince's sudden passing and decided not to own anymore rabbits afterwards (apart from my current cutie Isis) but fostering is not owning, it's a temorary home I know some poor little sweetie needs. I also know that if I should run into any care problems I have much information and support within RO and SARS to help out.

It's really amazing how this site has opened my eyes to things I didn't know were going on and to things I didn't know I could do to help.

I have sent an email to [email protected] to ask about this possibilty and sent a volunteer profile application so hopefully I will know soon if I am suitable for the job!

(great scroll up above for the bunnytine contest btw! Uh, where's mine?)

This is Abigail when we first got her:

abigail9.jpg

She was one of hundreds offeral domestic bunnies that roam our city. In August of 2006 she was hit by a car on a busy highway. As she lay on the road a second car stopped in front of her and honked the horn. When she didn't move he casually and cruelly drove over her as well. A kind lady stopped and brought Abigail to the local vet clinic where I worked. She spent the day at the clinic and, despite being hit by two cars, seemedfine. I brought her home with me that night for observation and when I let her out of her hospital cage to roam around I noticed she had a limp.

They x-rayed her at the clinic the next day and discovered that her hip was dislocated. Despite many attempts by the vets to put her hip back in, it proved impossible so I brought her back home with me for good.

She was horrifyingly skinny and skittish and her coat was rough and dirty and she refused to eat anything but grass picked from my yard for the first week or so. Eventually I won her over with a combination of veggies and craisins and before long she was happily munching on hay and pellets as well. After she had healed as much as shecould from the hip injury we had her spayed and after only a few months realized she needed a buddy. We began the search for a bunny boyfriend for her and brought Abraham home from the SPCA. It wasn't love at first sight but after a few weeks they grew close enough to move in together.

Today Abigail is a happy, healthy boxing, grumpy diva bunny who demands to have her own way about everything. Luckily Abraham is a very mellow fellow and willingly does what she wants. Despite the permanently dislocated hip, she quickly lost her limp and it's not unusual to find her on top of the kitchen table exploring.

Munching on some hay:

Abigaileating.jpg

Abigaileating4.jpg

Playing with her toy:

Abigailplaying.jpg

Abigailplaying2.jpg

And with her boyfriend Abraham:

IMG_7272.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg

Darfi wrote:
You know what this particular thread did to me?? It made me decide to apply with SARS to be a foster for a rabbit/cat. I think i'd be a good foster mom and I know Isis would enjoy some friends around here. I can only take one rabbit and 1 cat at a time but that's one more foster for 1 more homeless critter. SARS says that they fund for care items such as litter or a cage so I can financially be helped in this aspect. I think it's a better choice than picking up a new pet when there are so many pets that need help, as shown above.

I was terribly heartbroken (still am) about Prince's sudden passing and decided not to own anymore rabbits afterwards (apart from my current cutie Isis) but fostering is not owning, it's a temorary home I know some poor little sweetie needs. I also know that if I should run into any care problems I have much information and support within RO and SARS to help out.

It's really amazing how this site has opened my eyes to things I didn't know were going on and to things I didn't know I could do to help.

I have sent an email to [email protected] to ask about this possibilty and sent a volunteer profile application so hopefully I will know soon if I am suitable for the job!

(great scroll up above for the bunnytine contest btw! Uh, where's mine?)

That's a wonderful thing to do! I just wanted to give you a heads up to make sure you find out what this rescues policy is as far as who pays for any of the rabbit's health problems while in your care. Some rescues require the foster parent to pay these costs upfront and mail in any bills to be reimbursed at some future date by the rescue (which could take up to a few months sometimes). Have fun being a foster mommy!

My heart sank when I read what happened to her. My eyes are full of tears.. then I see this! OMG she's beautiful!

Abigaileating4.jpg

Dallas Before:

Dallas After:

101_0364.jpg

The others honestly looked fairly good. They were already being taken care of by new people. In Elvis case he looked ok he was just abused in other ways.

Raspberry82 wrote:
That's a wonderful thing to do! I just wanted to give you a heads up to make sure you find out what this rescues policy is as far as who pays for any of the rabbit's health problems while in your care. Some rescues require the foster parent to pay these costs upfront and mail in any bills to be reimbursed at some future date by the rescue (which could take up to a few months sometimes). Have fun being a foster mommy!

Thanks, of course i'll discuss all the details with whomever I am dealing with and be sure i'm prepared for anything before I take any needy critters into my home, especially if I get a special needs bunny or kitty. My boyfriend thinks this is a good idea, i'm glad I have support from him too :)

What a moving thread this is. I mean, you hear about stuff like this but not everyone sees it and seeing is believing. Who wouldn't want to prevent and help in these cases?

The best things come in small packages! :rabbithop

This is Charity, found at a small animal auction. She was malnourished and lactating from her last litter, and had been bred again in an attempt to raise her sale price. It took me a year and a half to be able to pet her because she had been so badly abused. Before:

DSCF0295.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

After:

DSCF0585.jpg

DSCF0586.jpg

Gentle giants, what a change! Poor Charity was on the verge of death and she's a well-built, beautiful bun now! It's such a blessing to see these little souls blossom again!

Marietta

Osprey, I visited therabbitheaven.org and read Camille's story. It looked like an irreversible condition and look at her now! I was amazed at the amount of time and care you devoted in helping her recover. Not many people would be up to such a difficult and demanding task. God bless you for saving this little angel!

Marietta

Charity is just beautiful.

Each time I look at these pictures - Have to go get one of the bunnies (usually my Bo) and hold them for a long long time.

Butfirst, I have to go back and look at that little dumplin' DILL! :hearts:

One of these days, I'm gonna steal him fromSas!! :biggrin2:

here are my buns.

here are my fosters:

here is freddi, he was saved from euthanization at the michigan humane socitey by tiny paws rescue.

fosters006.jpg

here is echo, he was also spared from euthanization. its sad, he was cared for at one time because he was already neutered. he is the most people friendly bun i have ever met. he took a nap with me once!

fosters001.jpg

and Mr. Bunnay who was dropped off at a pet store in a box, extremely sick. i got him once he was recovered though. he is such a cutie, he makes little wheezing noises sometime, i think because of all the congestion he had had.

bunnay002.jpg

and finally, my girls. i got them from tiny paws, who i foster for. they weren't getting the care they deserved from the kids so the father gave them to tiny paws. fuz unfortunaly died of kidney failure. shadow is quite skittish, but now, after about 6 months, she is finally becoming comfertable with being petted and even being picked up.

n567789754_132302_7032.jpg

Every bun posted on here should get extra kisses. Right behind ya, BoBB, if you sneak-a-peek by Dill's home or need a helper to cuddle.

There are soooo many who can binky in freedom and joy b/c caring humans pitched in to improve their world. Ready to "borrow-for-the-weekend" ALL of these lucky luvs featured on the pages.
Whether stories or pictures, you guys are the shining stars in their Universe ~
Greatfully some get saved :hearts & discover a human's love!!

Wow, those stories are heartwarming. I can't believe how different some bunnies look to when they we're first rescued! Great job guys!

I feel really funny putting Zeus here - he lived at Magic Happens Rabbit Rescue (twice) where he was cared for and received grooming regularly and he truly was in a good spot and healthy....other than one ear that was damaged by ear mites.

Here are his Petfinder photos:

ZeusatMagicHappens-1.jpg

ZeusatMagicHappens3.jpg

ZeusatMagicHappens2.jpg

But the one thing he didn't have - was a home of his own. A home where he could roam free (which I think is great for a bigger bun like he is)...and where he could try to train his slaves to serve him the way he wanted.

Here he is on the day we got him - a bit nervous I'm sure..

cropped2286598823_5629a51180.jpg

cropped2286588041_4ea76a5008.jpg

cropped2286572561_6996b521fb.jpg

and now here he is - almost a year later (we actually filled out his adoption paperwork and were approved a year ago today - we picked him up later in February).

DSCN5428.jpg

DSCN5420-1.jpg

DSCN5411-1.jpg

DSCN5410.jpg

DSCN5408.jpg

DSCN5419.jpg

He owns the garage now - even if it is our junk that is in it. He has three does that live with him - mostly peacefully (cause Tibba - his main squeeze keeps them away when she wants to snuggle).

He comes to the door usually to tell us when he wants bananas and while I don't spend nearly as much time with him as I should - I love him dearly.

I'm so glad we adopted him - and I would do it all over again...

Great stories!!!!!!!! Keep them coming

Ali i cant believe how different my, i mean your Dallas looked when you first got him that is the first time i am seeing pics of him like that.

Good job everyone.

I unfortunately dont have any pics of Sooty before i got him, with his horribly over grown teeth and the mites but i could imagine. you all made my day seeing all these before and afters,.

I just adopted 2 female rex's from the SPCA last weekend. They were part of a rescue of a 185 animal seizure! They think it was an awful rural breeding facility of so many different animals to sell flea markets.

Here's what my babies were in:
3229215110_6ee028e269_o.jpg

And here they are now taking a nap with me on the couch
001352.jpg

Bailey now:
001338.jpg

Hailey now:
001341.jpg

I think they are spoiled rotten now, what do you think? lol

What a lucky pair of adorable girls! They're so blessed to have been saved from those bad conditions.

Back