Rescued rabbit from becoming road kill..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostrabbitfound

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have just registered today. This afternoon I rescued a rabbit from becoming road kill.. I am going to take him or her in to be vet checked next week (if we keep her) but she appears to be fine so far. Would anyone be able to tell me how old they think she is? also what kind of rabbit she is, ie dwarf etc? she seems to be very tame and i've checked her coat for fleas or ticks, she seems well taken care of so i'm guessing she's someones pet that has escaped.

I have googled all the relevant info in regards to feeding her etc, so for now i'm ok with that. But if anyone does have any advice to offer i'm happy to take it on board... thank you :)

563865_174907639301855_100003478591883_244044_1758467782_n.jpg

548386_174895722636380_100003478591883_244005_943227978_n.jpg

Welcome to RO!

He/she is just a baby. Congratulations on helping this little one. How are these rabbits getting out? Definitely looks domestic and could be someone's escaped pet.

The Rabbit Savvy Vet you will take he/she to will know more about age. It's tough to judge age through a photo. But to me he/she looks very young.

K:)

She looks really young. 5-6 weeks?
Mixed breed, bigger than 3lbs dwarf but prob smaller than 8lbs

Babies are best fed alfalfa based pellets with no corn or colored bits and no seed.

Is it common for babies to be running around there?

And welcome to the forum

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Yes I suspected he/she was a baby, but I was second guessing myself since i've never had a rabbit (i'm more of a reptile and parrot gal). I'm not sure if we will be keeping her as the home owner here is very fussy and anti-pets.. but I will work on it, so fingers crossed I can keep her. We live in a duplex compound so there are litterally hundreds of houses squashed together so she could have escaped from anyones backyard.. no i've never seen any other escaped rabbits around here so I was quite shocked. I will keep an eye out for lost rabbit posters but other than that door knocking would be impossible..

I'm glad I have found this forum! :D

Its always rough after easter bunny newness wears off.

Welcome to RO
She/He looks very young and very cute
The Vet should be able to provide you with most of the information that you need.
Are you going to keep her/him?

I'm not sure if we will be keeping her, we've decided to keep her temporarily for a week or so to see how the home owner reacts. If everything goes smoothly then I should be able to keep her permanently.

I do believe that she would have been run over if I didnt find her. She was darting back and forth from underneath parked cars. It took a while for me to catch her but i'm glad I did. Shes a friendly little thing.

Shes so cute, looks better than the first pics too. Aw what a little love can do

Thank you guys! :hearts

I've been giving her the alfalfa based pellets, hay and water. She seems to eat alot of hay, and a minimum amount of pellets. Any tips? Is this OK?

Also another thing thats been bugging me, does she need to be de-wormed? I might be totally off the ball at even letting that thought enter my mind I know. I don't get paid until the end of next week so wouldn't be able to take her to a vet until then. Incase she did need de-worming, how do I know the previous owners haven't already done so? is there a risk of overdose? I have so many questions running through my mind at this point.

Aaaaw she is a cutie. Yes she should be eating more hay than pellets. When she is old enough you can start to introduce veggies.

I know within the US we don't de-worm rabbits usually (unless of course they need it) but I don't know if that's how it works in Australia. They might have shots she'll need tho. Or maybe that's Europe I'm thinking of.

I'm not too sure about the shots either, but I will definately ask the vet when I make an appointment. You've made me feel a bit better now LOL, thanks! :)

Good news- looks like I will be keeping her, we are going to be officially buying her a hutch/home tomorrow. Yay! looks like i'll be sticking around on this forum :yahoo:

Latest posts

Back