Rescued baby bunny from outside (lion head)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get too stressed out .. it sounds like she is doing ok so far .. wow She.. I'm so used to writing HE .. wow... what a change!

How long does she have to take the meds?

Vanessa

My awesome vet says its a 14 day treatment I believe. Papaya had the same thing when I got him. She said most baby bunnies do have coccidia. I just lucked out with kiwi I guess.

She (I can't believe he is a she!!!) is back to her normal self now. Running around, using me as a jungle gym lol And most importantly eating, drinking, pooing & peeing :)

Meds should be in on Monday, as I had it specially compounded at a vet pharmacy. They will be strawberry flavour (I hope), and I also hope she takes them nice! She wouldn't come near me when I got her back home. Poor girl was so trusting, & went right into the carrier... Only to discover she was going on a car ride to the vet.

Kiwi & papayas poo was negative, so super happy about that!

Poor girl but she seems OK so far, hope she makes a complete recovery, geez a girl had got used to he but she sure is a cute little missy :)

Well Apricot started her meds today. It's once daily & 0.1cc, so not terribly a lot. I'll post the name of the med soon, I just can't get up right now, because Apricot is using me as a jungle gym currently lol

She took them pretty well. She started licking it right from the syringe, then maybe realized it didn't taste that good, even with it being strawberry flavour. She kept coming back & licking the syringe then stopped. So instead of tryin to force her to take them, I put a drop on a pellet,
& she ate the pellet with the med on it. I could tell she wasent enjoying it that much, but she still ate it, & got her first dose done.

13 more days to go...

I just read through Apricots whole story. She is so beautiful. I find amazing how we can be in the right place, at the most perfect time. She wouldn't have had this chance of life without you. Crazy how life matches us up with where we need to be.

I just read through Apricots whole story. She is so beautiful. I find amazing how we can be in the right place, at the most perfect time. She wouldn't have had this chance of life without you. Crazy how life matches us up with where we need to be.

Thank you :) She is a real sweetheart. I've never had a bunny so affectionate as she is.

She's taking her meds with pellets. I would rather her take them like that, then have to force them into her. I guess we'll see if she wises up to the fact that there's medication on them.

12 days left...

I'm sure you'll be glad for the meds to be done with. I'm still trying to get used to 'him' being called 'her' now :p

I'm sure you'll be glad for the meds to be done with. I'm still trying to get used to 'him' being called 'her' now :p

Im glad the meds are only once a day though. I give it at night, when I have more time to sit with her. Shes still getting a drop on her pellets so I dont have to force them into her. She is still gobbling them up!

I am also still trying to get used to the fact that shes a girl! I also thought I should say that I have changed her name.... I couldnt get used to calling her Apricot... So now its "Cookie", because she responds to "Coo-Coo" haha

Five days left!!!

Well Apricot started her meds today. It's once daily & 0.1cc, so not terribly a lot. I'll post the name of the med soon, I just can't get up right now, because Apricot is using me as a jungle gym currently lol

She took them pretty well. She started licking it right from the syringe, then maybe realized it didn't taste that good, even with it being strawberry flavour. She kept coming back & licking the syringe then stopped. So instead of tryin to force her to take them, I put a drop on a pellet,
& she ate the pellet with the med on it. I could tell she wasent enjoying it that much, but she still ate it, & got her first dose done.

13 more days to go...

Hah! Pellets, the ultimate bunny bribe! Too bad even if I'd thought of that with Gazzles, the one time pellets aren't tempting enough is during GI stasis - she goes freaking NUTS when anyone touches her mouth, so getting meds and critical care into her is an ordeal. I had to pin the little brat down so that the vet could actually keep her mouth open long enough to get a good look around with a lighted magnifying thing (can't remember the word for it for some reason... sleep deprivation, probably :p).

I'm so glad Cookie is doing well! :D

That's the tough thing about medicating bunnies. They are so small so it makes administering medication hard. I hope the pellet trick does the job. I know sometimes when I put the med of the pellets, some of it comes off in my hand. I guess of I have to treat her longer then the 14 days I'll do it. I'm excited to get her fecal checked at the end of the treatment. Then I don't have to worry so much if cookie is nose to nose with kiwi & papaya.

I haven't bothered with the pellet trick - too much work :p. As soon as she got a bit of an appetite back and wasn't shunning everything, I was able to whip out my usual trick. I flip her on her back, hold her like a baby and slowly squirt the meds into the front of her mouth - she eagerly laps it up on her own as it comes out of the syringe, but ONLY if she's on her back. What a little weirdo!

I haven't bothered with the pellet trick - too much work :p. As soon as she got a bit of an appetite back and wasn't shunning everything, I was able to whip out my usual trick. I flip her on her back, hold her like a baby and slowly squirt the meds into the front of her mouth - she eagerly laps it up on her own as it comes out of the syringe, but ONLY if she's on her back. What a little weirdo!

Arent all of our bunnies little weirdos? ;)

Yes, the pellet trick is A LOT of work, but I dont mind doing it. I have time at night once im home from work, so time isnt an issue since its only once a day. I dont want to loose her trust by restraining her & forcing the meds down her throat. I know one day (hopefully not..) if she does become ill, Ill have too, but fingers crossed that dosent happen.

Latest posts

Back