Rescued a mistreated bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebunnyok

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My hubby and I rescued a bunny today, making our count to 3! She is a very sweet girl, and the owner, even though well meaning, did NOT know how to take care of her. When we got her home, she had nails probably an inch long! :shock: Also, the owner tried to give us her bedding...PINE!!

She is 5 years old, and very beautiful. We have her in her cage as of now, and the other two (Chyna and Tupper) have investigated the new bun. Belle (the new bunny) is obviously scared of her new situation and did not like seeing my bunnies.

I have some questions on how to proceed from here. First, they are all fixed, so that is not an issue. Second, I know it's hard for two girls to get along. Does anyone have any tips to try and get them used to each other.

Also, can anyone tell me what breed she is? I think she may be a mix, but of what I have no idea.

Thank you! :D

Belle.jpg

Belle2.jpg

I had a bunny that looked like her. She has moved on to a new home. her and her sister were rescues. I still have her sister who is ready fora new home, she is more timid than her sister was.They are harlequin/mini lop crosses, which is what I beleive she is as well.

this is sissy she looks almost identical.

13639_022227_270000000.jpg

Crystal

your welcome. sissy and her sister are 6 months this month. Sissy now lives with a family in middleton that has two boys. they fell in love with her when they met her. It makes me happy when I can rescue and rehabilitate bunnies and put them in loving homes. I rescued Sissy with her sister and twin mini satin bucks. all but sissy's sister have gone to new loving homes. lol I'm rambling.

I'm glad that you have rescued her and brought her into your home.

Crystal

Very nice looking bunny--thanks for taking her in. I've always felt that the key to anything you do with your bunnies is patience. Let her get settled and comfortable in her surroundings. Sometimes bonding comes easy to some and difficult to never with others. Good luck.

I would give her at least 2 weeks to settle in and make sure she's not carrying any diseases she could give to the others before trying to bond them. Congrats!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. We built her a bigger cage out of NIC cubes (her cage was so small, we couldn't put a litter box in it!) in our bedroom, and she has full access to that during the day while the others sleep in their house in the living room. At night she goes in her cage. Last night was a real breakthrough in that Chyna didn't attack her cage, so maybe they are getting used to each other.

We plan on waiting a few weeks before trying to bond them. I know it's going to be a long process, if it ever happens.

Thanks again! :D

Congrats on the gorgeous new addition. I think it would be wise to do a quarantine though - especially considering the fact that the well meaning previous owners knew nothing of proper rabbit care. She may be carrying something that could potentially be harmful to your own buns, so it would be a good idea to keep her in a seperate room for a few weeks. I usually do a 4 week quarantine of all new pets before even trying to introduce them to my existing pets... Its just safer for everyone involved :) good luck :)

Congratulations! She is a very pretty harlequin. Variety/Color is Japanese. I like Harlies they are very sweet just give her time for adjustment and give plenty of forages to help settle her in and keep her stomach happy :)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
She looks purebred Harlequin to me because of how clean her markings are!

She's quite underweight as far as Harlequins go. Marked descently, but below weight.
Just because the hair looks odd, does it have a velvety feel to it? like a rex. The face also is different is why I'm asking

Being 5, she's 'old'.... I almost wouldn't try to bond her now if she hasn't been around another rabbit. That's just me.

I wouldn't call 5 years old; just don't bond her to a baby. My Tony is older than 5, and our Frida was around 4 when we got her as a bondmate for Benjamin (who was about 1.5-2). It's impossible to know how long our animals will live, especially if they've had a rough start in life, but life expectancy for a rabbit is 8-10 years. I don't call a bunny old until they hit 7.

Back