Rescue Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3monkees

Reaction score
Wanted to get peoples thoughts about a rescue rabbit.
I'm a little leary as a few years ago my dh decided to bring home a bunny, as a surprise "gift" for me.:rollseyes At the time my kids were 1, 4, 7, yes a bunny was just what I needed! LOL He got it from a Petstore, but you could tell it hadn't had much handling. Did turn out to be a nice rabbit, but was hard to pet him without him running around. Maybe neutering would have helped, but at the time it just didn't happen. The kids were afraid of him and we ended up giving to a family who adored him, so it worked out well.
I'm afraid if we get a rescue rabbit, we may have the same problem with him/her being very nervous around people.
The advantage being that bunny will come already spayed or neutered. Right now they have several netherland dwarfs 9 mo. and if its still there a 3 mo. rex (not sure mini or regular size). Is 9 mo. a good age to get a rabbit and still be able to tame it down if its nervous?
There is also a local breeder that will have some lionheads ready to go in a few days. I'm just not sure which is the better choice.
Thanks!!

they are just guessing their age. my vet even told me today there's no real way of knowing how old a rabbit is. they can guess based on how their teeth are worn, but it's only a guess. the shelter guessed tucker at 8 months and my vet is guessing he is more like 2-4 years old.

as far as rescue animals...whether it's a rescue or from a breeder there's a chance they may not be friendly towards people, but there's also a chance that a rescue can be just as friendly if not more friendly than some breeders rabbits. i just adopted one who is extremely laid back and friendly. he lets me pet him wherever, check him whereever, pick him up...pretty much anything lol.

like i said it's a chance either way, but if you're willing to take that chance i say go for it. there are a lot of rescue rabbits that come from great homes, but because of the economy, owner passing, or whatever they had to be given up. there are so many rabbits needing good homes.

With a rescue bunny, the foster family can tell you all about the bunny's personality, habits, etc. I would tend to opt for an adult bunny. With babies it's difficult (although not impossible) to know what you're getting.

These bunnies are not fostered, they are at the SPCA, so they may not be able to tell me much. I'm not actually a huge fan of the SPCA, even though I guess they do the best they can with a limited budget.

These bunnies all came in on the 12th, so I'm assuming the same litter. I guess its a chance either way.
The tightwad in me likes the $40, including spay and neutering! LOL

my3monkees wrote:
These bunnies are not fostered, they are at the SPCA, so they may not be able to tell me much. I'm not actually a huge fan of the SPCA, even though I guess they do the best they can with a limited budget.

These bunnies all came in on the 12th, so I'm assuming the same litter. I guess its a chance either way.
The tightwad in me likes the $40, including spay and neutering! LOL
Can you find a chapter of the HRS or a rabbit rescue? I would go that route if you really want to know the rabbit's temperament and habits; the foster family typically knows a great deal about the rabbit by the time they are considered ready for adoption. And rescue adoption fees, while they may be more than $40, are still generally cheaper than getting a neuter or spay done at a vet. If you're really that leery of getting a nervous or frightened bunny, I would hold off until I was able to connect with a rescue. that's really the closest you'll get to "knowing for sure" about their temperament and personality quirks.

That said, I adopted my New Zealand White from the animal shelter, and he's a fine rabbit. Doesn't like his feet messed with (toenail trims are a real chore) but he's otherwise very docile, and he bonded with my Holland lop Olive after only a week ( a rocky week it was, but they are now happily living together without quarrel).

I was looking but all the rescues seem to be on the other side of the state. People seem to forget that there is a great big state away from NYC! LOL
I did find 2 rabbits that are fostered not too far from here, but both were larger breeds.
My daughter really wants to go look at them, but I am going to insist that she really take her time and be sure.
I'll let you all know what happens.
Thanks!

Yeah I've heard that bigger breeds can be more laid back. My Netherland dwarf, oh I love him, he's a bit hyperactive at times. Doesn't like to sit still, into everything haha, gets distracted easily. Loud noises tend to startle him at times, like my neighbor closing his door and he'll be off like a bolt either under my bed or sofa. But he warmed up to me and the cats real fast. I got lucky. Also he was an adult when I got him. I adopted him from a friend who couldn't keep him any longer.

dont forget some bunnies have been badly treated and may need extra time to get used to things, but you should go for whats best, im sure when you see the right bunny you will know! :D

From experience. i got a baby rabbit from a breeder and she is a very nervous rabbit. She will not let you hold her. She will let you pet her if she is in her cage (her safe spot) But outside the cage she will run from you. If I had to do it all over again I would definately rescue an adult rabit so I could see his/her personality.

We did end up getting one of the rescue bunnies! She has to be one of the sweetest bunnies, I have ever seen. She is around 9 mo., she is at least part netherland dwarf, she has the head and ears of one. She was an owner surrender, there were several others, owner had too many rabbits.
But, it must have been a good owner! She has definitely been handled alot. Very calm, docile, easy to pick up, enjoys being petted. When you pick her up and hold her against you, she quickly crawls up and tucks herself in your neck.
I'm thinking she may also be litter trained. She has left her pellets outside, but always hops inside her litter box for pee.
Thanks so much!!

congrats on your new little one. i would suggest a vet checkup though just in case even if the place you got her from says she was just checked. supposedly tucker was vet checked 2 weeks ago when he was neutered (i only had him since friday so he went downhill quick) and even with vet care the last couple days he still passed away last night so i'd definitely get her in soon just to be checked over to make sure she's healthy and didn't catch something from another rabbit there (they can be very crafty at hiding illness as i'm sure you're aware so some things can easily be missed).

shawnwk1 wrote:
congrats on your new little one. i would suggest a vet checkup though just in case even if the place you got her from says she was just checked. supposedly tucker was vet checked 2 weeks ago when he was neutered (i only had him since friday so he went downhill quick) and even with vet care the last couple days he still passed away last night so i'd definitely get her in soon just to be checked over to make sure she's healthy and didn't catch something from another rabbit there (they can be very crafty at hiding illness as i'm sure you're aware so some things can easily be missed).
So sorry you lost your bunny so quickly, that's awful.:sosad

They just spayed her on Mon, so I am keeping a close eye on her. Today she seems nice and alert, very inquisitive. She hasn't really eaten more than a few bits of hay yet, so I am watching her food closely. She has also left a few pellets this morning, not much but at least I know her system is working. I do have a follow up vet visit, with my vet next week. I'll call sooner if I feel there is a need. But so far so good!:pray:

Latest posts

Back