RESCUE: Lacrosse, WI- RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had (have) an entire litter of buns surrendered to us in May when they werejust a few months old. Someone named them after the planets ..Earth, Venus and Mercury are the girls Pluto, Saturn and Jupiter are the boys.

Venus, who was the first one adopted was returned to us last week. I had talked to the adopters several weeks prior to them surrendering her.

They sounded like good, caring bunny parents and said that Venus (re-named Lily) was a terror. She growled bit and scratched everytime she was handled.

I tried to talk to them about her age (adolescent) and the fact that she was most likely going through "a phase" and that they may want to just wait it out.

Apparently the girl had had a bunny who liked being handled prior to this one and just didn';t want a "difficult" pet.

Well..I talked to the kennel manager today and apparently she Venus( aka. Lily)growled and was slightly difficult with a few staff over the weekend
She is considered "Unadoptable" unless I can somehow work with her to alter or behavour or
put her on my rabbit websites and find a rabbit saavy person who would be willing to adopt her.
I brought her home today and I will say this much
the caretakers at the shelter (myself included) that are rabbit saavy have no problems handling her but the ones that are not do.

of course I will see what kind of personality emerges while she is here.
Since she has been spayed by the prior adopter the fee for adoption is only $15.00 and a good application meaning that the shelter will check as to whether your dogs, cats are licensed and up- to date on shots etc. They will call vets and check to see if you are a good pet owner.

Now I will post a picture of the 6 month "monster"

100_0252.jpg

Oh my. What a lovely girl.

Awwww I would love to take this cutie home! I don't mind a 'difficult' bunny! She is soooooooooooooo precious. Lilya would suit her more. :pI wish I was in the states :(

Too bad I'm in Texas and she's there.....'cause I'd bunnynap her and bring her here in a heartbeat - she's a cutie.

I'm betting she just needs some love....

Peg

Hi Maureen,

That's stinks that she was labeled "unadoptable". That's justwhat they said about my little Vivienne. The only time she's ever bitten me is when I don't get my fingers away from her Craisin fast enough :)

Could you do a training session for the shelter staff? It could include things like how to hold a bun (maybe they could practice with you); stages of their life and how they are likely to behave during each, i.e. spayed vs. unspayed; adolescence; why they may seem aggressive in some circumstances such as at the shelter; etc. Just a thought. She is so cute. I sure hope they have a change of heart about her. Remind them that Vivienne turned out to be just fine. Is she at your house or are you working with her at the shelter?

Cara

The shelter is concerned about adopting out pets that are friendly and social.. this kind of thinking isn't specific to the rabbits.
The people that surrendered her are really the ones that have created the biggest stigma for her. I think that they kept her in the kind of cage sold for a rabbit at a pet store...sort of like a large guinea pig type cage. I'm fairly sure that it would be difficult getting any rabbit in and out of that. I know they were told by another caretaker to get her a large cage.
if she stays "nice" here then hopefully she will be able to go back to the shelter and be adopted out.

I KNOW that she would be fine with someone who knows rabbits and loves them for the way they are instead of what someone wants the rabbit to be.

I have a feeling that once she is here with me that her naughty behaviour wILL probably resurface and then I will know what we are dealing with.
Anyway I still hope that someone on RO might want to adopt her because I lnow then that she will be in good hands.

like Oberon (no I didn't know he was a therapy rabbit)
and Viviene Violet .......Cara..you don't give yourself enough credit for the way things turned out for her.
I will post more pics later as I don't think those pictures do her justice.

I'm with Peg!! She just needs love.

Reminds me of BarryBear who was on the euth list at shelter. He took a chunk outta my hand and I still have the scar. From theinstant it profusely bled and I held him firm "bonding like a fool" at that moment, I made up my mind. He's coming home with me as a foster... as he sure as *#%@ won't last long here.Barry boy (in the avatar, Karla's sweetie)was licking and kissing my hand a few weeks after he departed the shelter and spent one-on-one time gradually learning to trust.Plus thegol'dang white-tipped nose HAND BITER, BOXER, GROWL LUNGING beast reminded me of our other sweet Dutch boy. Underneath, I knew Barry wasn't a werewolf hand-cropping bun. He lived with a pit bull for a time. Woulda rabbit get defensivefor that reason?

He was brought to the shelter after the owner who purchased him from Petland at Eastertime unexpectantly moved out, leaving her roommates behind with the RABBIT. :X The roommates surrendered him. He still has bouts of mistrust, from his early beginnings, although Karla andBarryBoy give me a face-washing every nite!

Cara's got good ideas on things to try with the shelter non-rabbit savvy staff. They most likely have fast-moving hands, and predator smells a plenty on their clothing. The little misunderstood gal will readily detect human body language and react.

Oh how I wish more fosterhomes were available in this area. Please keep us posted Maureen on how "the monster" transforms once removed from the shelter atmosphere. Gratefully the shelter has YOU there -- and the understanding kennel manager --

TF Julie, SRR

Yup, Oberon, Vivienne, lots of names can be added here! ditto on Peg's input.

Head pets to the boys still remaining.

So far she is angelic.

The people that adopted her seemed very nice and caring......................yet I would like to think that there was something about their environment that created this in her.
She hasn't settled in here yet so maybe it will come out later when she is comfortable but so far she lets me pet her, hold her etc ..very sweet ..just like she was when she left the shelter a few months back.

What is really strange is that her 2 sisters ,Earth and Mercury were spayed last week and I took them back to the shelter today from my home .Right now she is in the crate that her sisters were in this AM

They are very cute also but a brownish color which I guess somepeople find less attractive?? (the color of my rabbit Beau ) so they have not yet been adopted.

They are to be adopted as a pair because they have been together so long . This is Venus aka. Lily's sisters

She looks more like an Amelia; she needs a softer-sounding name. Say the word Venus fast eight times. It sounds threatening. I hope youchange her name,

Latest posts

Back