Rescue kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equibunni

Reaction score
Just rescued a kit that was injured on the road. Wildlife centre is too far unfortunately. So the last three days it's had kitty formula and I'm getting goats milk. Also very little rabbit pellets for 1+ week old. Maybe one or two of these a day.

Poos normal.

My query is how much should they be doing? He doesn't seem to do much. I eastimate it's 2-3 weeks.

He feeds well off the bottle and easily takes 6-7cc in quick succession but after a clean and preen (I've found the spot that makes him start to lick himself) he goes back to bed and won't move much again. Here is some pics.
MycomAtosis is obviously a worry.

50E22817-30A7-463C-87C9-56E6F7666F9A_zpsnd1dkhot.jpg

EF16BFD5-C5E0-4DEC-9B85-504A5CD299E5_zpsstbmahz3.jpg

BE569630-9449-496F-A3B8-15735F8E55D6_zpsfpvcayvc.jpg

8B78AFC7-D7D7-4620-AD89-2B28B75718A2_zpse5flyhlx.jpg

wild rabbits wont move very much when you first find them (it is really something you are able to get him to eat) but as long as he is eating he should be fine. try not to hold him to much. you don't want him overly friendly when you let him go back into the wild.

Have just bought some whipping cream as I hear it's good to get them putting on weight (he's lost 4g)

Just making sure this is ok??

As for getting him to eat, he loves it. He sits and laps it either off my hand or from the bottle and will follow it about until he's done. I've been teaching him to clean himself after too so he is starting to lick an preen after lol

Adding a bit of plain(nothing added) heavy cream is a good way to boost the fat content, as a mother rabbits milk is high in fat. This link has good info on rehabbing a baby wild rabbit., as well as a good milk recipe for the kmr and cream.
http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

I've had experience with wild life rehab of Cotton tails and other wild rabbits. I would give them Kitten Replacement milk. I can fill you in on some other things you can do as well to help this little guy. Please send me a PM and I'm more than happy to help you out. I've rehabbed over 10 cotton tails and to date have not lost one... after they were set free, I have no idea, but up until 6-8 weeks they were alive and well with us rehabbing them!

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back