Rescue buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Rescue Story

• Gunston and Whidbey's Story

• Murphy's Story

• Cheeto and Millie's Story

• Archie's Story

• Babitty, Wallaby, Ty, Kit and Kat, Buttercup's Story

• Loki's Story

• Rue's Story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
Post pictures and tell the story of your rescue bun(s)!

Then, when we have a lot of nice stories and pics going, I'll make another thread and we'll all vote for our favorite rescue story! I think this would be a nice way to give a little shout-out to those rescue bunnies who found their loving, forever homes! Anyone can participate, just submit your story of your bun with as many details and pictures as you can!

Please participate and vote!! :big wink:

Gunston and Whidbey's story.

This past winter, police responded to reports of a foul smell coming from a home. They discovered this to be the house of a hoarder. Police and animal control seized 86 rabbits (plus several deceased rabbits) from the home. The woman was charged with three counts of animal cruelty and two counts of improper disposal of a deceased animal. All but two (who were euthanized due to medical conditions) of the rabbits were placed for adoption.

News report: http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/seized-rabbits-undergo-evaluation

omg-bunnies_20120316141119_640_480.JPG

Gunston and Whidbey are understandably shy and skittish. Whidbey considerably more so...
Most days Gunston will come say hi, particularly if you have a treat. But Whidbey prefers to hide out until he's sure you aren't looking at him...

333bgw4.jpg

2ur9yd4.jpg

Murphy's story can be found here...

In short. She had a rough start and came to me and I gave her a second chance. Two rounds of meds and a surgery later...she is an amazing girl and i have never known a better rabbit. she is sweet and tolerant and everything someone could want

Before surgery
575547_4183309945884_1626524962_n.jpg

A couple days after surgery
488378_4468237748901_212395740_n.jpg

A month after surgery and half way adjusted to three legs
549743_4468239348941_446693406_n.jpg

551858_4468239028933_4558997_n.jpg

And even through all of this...she is still a lover. I ant pick her up anymore like i could before the surgery and meds, but I dont blame her.

This is her yesterday (ignore the critter...this is the only good pic i got and she was in the way. murphy ignores them lol unless the crawl under her)
IMG_0011.jpg

Her favorite spot
IMG_0022.jpg
Code:

JessicaK wrote:
Gunston and Whidbey's story.

This past winter, police responded to reports of a foul smell coming from a home. They discovered this to be the house of a hoarder. Police and animal control seized 86 rabbits (plus several deceased rabbits) from the home. The woman was charged with three counts of animal cruelty and two counts of improper disposal of a deceased animal. All but two (who were euthanized due to medical conditions) of the rabbits were placed for adoption.

News report: http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/seized-rabbits-undergo-evaluation

omg-bunnies_20120316141119_640_480.JPG

Gunston and Whidbey are understandably shy and skittish. Whidbey considerably more so...
Most days Gunston will come say hi, particularly if you have a treat. But Whidbey prefers to hide out until he's sure you aren't looking at him...

333bgw4.jpg

2ur9yd4.jpg

:shock: Wow thats alot of bunnies!

I am going to cry. That is sooo sad! I can't believe people do that every day.

Wow. Amazing stories you guys! Makes me so sad to see that pic of all the rabbits :(

Cheeto was a rescue in the sense that I adopted him from one. That's about it. His mom was a stray that was brought in pregnant, and Cheeto is a product of that. He spent 4 months in the shelter, growing up and getting into trouble. I got him a few weeks after his 4 month birthday. He also got his name because of the litter; they decided the bunnies were going to be named "chip" names. I think it was Frito, Dorito, Muncho, Cheeto, Tostito and Chuck (lol they couldn't think of another one, I suggested Nacho!)
Here are some pictures:

Cheeto is the second to last in both of these:

13952_021716_060000001.png

13952_021716_060000002.png

13952_021716_050000000.png

I don't know very much about Millie. They're assuming she was dumped and later found in a playground about an hour away from where I live. Even in the rescue she was pretty matted because they are short on volunteers. They kept up as much as they could, but it took me a while to get all the mats out. She was brought to the shelter in March of 2012, and I adopted her July 22, 2012:

13952_021716_060000004.jpg

13952_021716_060000003.jpg

13952_292254_330000000.jpg

It's funny because you can tell who was neglected and who was raised spoiled. Cheeto is a goof, but sometimes he is just a brat! Like he'll get upset if I move one thing or even walk a certain way towards him. That's only sometimes, though. Millie is the sweetest thing and is very skittish at times. She will try to eat almost anything; I never had a problem with that with Cheeto. She even begs for my food! All of the "typical" things that rabbits do--like chewing on cords and baseboards, digging up carpet, peeing on the bed, and generally getting into everything--Cheeto never did, but Millie does. It's taken me a while to completely 100% bunny-proof, something I never had to do with Cheeto. I usually just told him "no" and he would never touch it again.
Sometimes it's odd though. It's like they switch personalities every few days. Like one day Cheeto will be getting into everything and Millie will be chilling, and the next it's the opposite. Very odd!

Archie is a rescue!! He was finally captured by animal control and brought to the local rescue where our paths crossed. So not an exciting story by any means but it does warm my heart that a) he survived outside for who knows how long without being harmed.... since he is such a light silvery color I'm surprised he made it and b) i got lucky enough to adopt him because he is a sweetheart and Agnes loves her new husbun and it is so fantastic seeing theim cuddle and groom and enjoy each other :)

Alright, I am going to narrow it down to the best ones, but we have so many dumps and abandonments *Sigh*

304298_4537803159624_1378218506_n.jpg

Babbitty Rabbitty is a celebrity bun, being featured often on the news, on Canada's Got Talent and in many newspapers, but he had quite the beginning.

Back in 2006, we were aquantinces with a breeder, who raised Holland Lops and while Babbitty was a "good rabbit", he was far too energetic for the show table so she decided to cull him. She had two ways of culling rabbits, beating them off a work bench or sending them with the UPS guy who had a Boa Constrictor. Being a small 6 week old baby, he was small enough for the Boa so he was destined for snake food until we scooped him up, along with the other bun destined for the snake that was later adopted out, mere hours before he was due to go to the snake.

He is the hopping definition of a rescue bun turning around and doing something amazing. He is a performer and loves the attention he gets.

407894_2841462752174_129273414_n.jpg

Wallaby was a rescue bun from a lady up in Edmonton. He was living outside in a metal cage and he tipped over his water dish, so it literally froze him to the wire of his cage by his ears and feet. When he was found, he was torn to shreds from panicking and ripping the frozen flesh away (His feet look pretty much normal now but his ears still show the frostbite on the edges). He is now a very spoiled, happy, loving pet of ours :)

223635_2188036656930_4229913_n.jpg

Buttercup, another rescue we kept, came from a family that kept her, her mother and a liondhead doe outside in their backyard, able to escape the fence and wander the neighbourhood. They were fed dog food and an unhealthy amount of fruit, so Buttercup was obese when she came to us. Buttercup's mother, Thumper, had been previously attacked by something and had broken numerous bones and been allowed to heal unnaturally, so she was permanently crippled but still mobile. We do not know what did it to her, but the family talked about how cool it was when the owls would come perch on the fence and watch the rabbits in the yard.

536451_3361092062582_916688185_n.jpg

Ty, a bun that is not as quite as glamorous as Babbitty but still a major success story. A friend of ours in Edmonton in the rabbit community got a call from a family that had gotten an Easter bunny the year before and were tired of him, so if he wasn't picked up by someone in an hour he was going to be left in a local park. With Ty's love of dogs, I can only imagine how long he would have lasted after running up to one. Needless to say, we got him from the friend.

63352_1561360750424_4764689_n.jpg

Kit and Kat, who spent two days without food inside a Boa Contrictors cage at just 3 weeks old. A neighbour got them because he wanted to see his snakes eat live food, but "unfortuanatly" neither of his snakes would eat them so he wanted them gone. When I went over to his house to pick them up, Kat was actually sitting on the snakes head!

Oh my word, amazing pictures and stories! kkiddle, my heart melted at that last pic of Cheeto!

I'll make another thread soon with all these stories, and then do a separate one for the pictures!! Can someone tell me if there's a way I can copy all these pics to another poll on a different thread when I make it?
THanks so much!

Loki arrived at the Rabbit Rescue Sanctuary at the end of April this year, he was in a bit of a shocking condition having moulted and it was all matted. I enquired about him and got sent a picture and a video on youtube with him in it. I went up at the end of May when my girl Ash (RIP) went in to get spayed and went out to the Rescue to look at this little guy and the rest of the rabbits, I had a look at some of the other bunnies but this little hairy guy had stolen my heart. I got a free vet check so I took him in for a check up, other than needing a good groom and some TLC for some small scabs he had from living in a large area with lots of other bunnies.

WB1.jpg

This is what he looked like when I got him home and got rid of half of his matted coat.

Loki3011b.jpg

Six months later and he's happy, healthy and at the moment half naked cause I've been harvesting his fluff for spinning purposes.

My other rescues were born at the same Sanctuary at the end of August and I went up in October when they were 9 weeks old and chose these two adorable sisters.
Bunnygirls1.jpg

girls5.jpg

The girls last week, they're now 14 weeks old and I'll be taking them up in just under 3 weeks for their spay as they were too young and too small for the surgery before I got them. They're not as quiet as Loki but they're still adorable and 'Nanna' loves her Grandbunnies

Can a mod help me out? I want to do another thread with a poll, that has these stories and pictures, so is there a way I can copy all these pics onto a new thread?

I'm gonna give this thread another day or so to get more stories, then I'm making another thread, so hurry! ;)

I'm gonna give this thread another day or so to get more stories, then I'm making another thread, so hurry! ;)

Latest posts

Back