Requesting input from breeders: Terminology

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
We're already working on a listing of show terms (like "legs", "BIS", etc).

What I'd like to do is get a list of terms (and maybe definitions?) of other terms that frequently come up in breeding - here are a few that come to mind immediately.

Peanuts

REW

BEW

BUB / BUD

Max Factor babies

pedigree

pure-bred

Can y'all suggest other terms and even give definitions?

(Non-breeders - feel free to ask terms too - just know this isn't for "show-related" terms like "leg" or "BIS", etc. - there will be another listing for that).

Thanks! I hope to put together an article/topic on this for reference!

I need them all for showing and breeding!! I just got into it and need to know them all...hehe

Thanks Holly.

I'm going to point out (so that a discussion does not get going about it)...that while cull means to remove - breeders will do it different ways. Some will put down an animal (euthanize it) - others will pet it out, etc.

So to "cull" isn't always to kill - it is mainly to remove it from your herd.

And with that - more terms? definitions?

wean, kindle, kit, ear #, sire, dam, registration, grand champion, type, body, markings on different breeds, variety, depth, balance, cow-hocked, pinched, undercut, disqualification, fault, mangy, length, flyback, rollback, maloclussion, peg teeth, weepy eye, nestbox, gestation, line breeding, inbreeding, still-born....

I am sure i can think of a lot more but I am tired.

Peg, how about an article about the importance of keeping good records?

Sharon

I know this is an older topic, but I am looking for the definition of the term "legs" in a rabbit's pedigree, and this topic is the closest I have found, although the definition is not actually posted.

If someone could either pm me the meaning or respond on here i would appreciate it!!

Hope this helps. :D

Peanuts : Only happen in Dwarf breeds. Dwarfs are required to have one normal gene and one dwarfing gene to be proper dwarfs. A peanut is a baby that has inherited two dwarfing genes, which is fatal. This is fatal because the animal will not develop like it should. Even though peanuts are hard to see in a litter, they are a good sign if you are working with a dwarf breed, because it means that both your buck and doe are proper dwarfs. Being that if either your doe or buck were to be a normal, and not a dwarf, you wouldn't have a chance of a baby inheriting two dwarfing genes.

REW : Ruby Eyed White. Body color is to be pure white with NO color. Toenails are to be clear. Eyes are to be a ruby pink/red color. What most people refer to as an Albino.

BEW : Blue Eyed White. Body color is to be a pure white with NO color. Toenails are to be clear. Eyes are to be a brilliant ocean blue.

BUB / BUD : BUB = Big Ugly Buck, Usually culled into the pet market, although, some breeders have been known to keep one or two for breeding and have done well with them. It is a buck that is a normal. So, in a dwarf breeding program, a true dwarf has one normal gene and one dwarfing gene, a BUB has two normal genes and will go overweight and size.

BUD = Big Ugly Doe. Same thing as a BUB, but kept more frequently. BUD's can be used very successfully in a dwarf breeding program, as they make great brood does, and when bred to a true dwarf buck will produce large litters with dwarf babies.

Max Factor babies : Not 100% sure how these work, but it seems to happen in dwarf breeds (ND's, HL's, Polish). It seems to be the opposite of a Peanut. Where the fetus is too large and deformed, usually appearing like a hippo.

pedigree : A written record of 3 or 4 generations of the animals family tree. Usually contains Names, ear numbers, weights, colors, registration and grand champion numbers.

purebred (There is no line between the two words): To be of pure heritage. Meaning to be of three generations or more of one breed.

Melinda

Lstmousery, a "leg" of grand championship is simply a certificate that is awarded to an owner/breeder by ARBA, for a rabbit that has won BOB, BOSB, BOV, BOSV, BOG, BOSG, etc. in a class of 5 or more, with 3 different exhibitors. Oncea rabbit gets three legs of Grand Championship, they can then be granded. One has to be an ARBA member in order to grand their rabbit. ;)

Emily

Ohhh ok, thank you so much. So a rabbit with a sire who has 6 legs in his pedigree... that would be considered a good kit? I suppose it would depend on the doe and on the kit itself..hmm

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Lstmousery, a "leg" of grand championship is simply a certificate that is awarded to an owner/breeder by ARBA, for a rabbit that has won BOB, BOSB, BOV, BOSV, BOG, BOSG, etc. in a class of 5 or more, with 3 different exhibitors. Oncea rabbit gets three legs of Grand Championship, they can then be granded. One has to be an ARBA member in order to grand their rabbit. ;)

Emily
To add. One leg must be won as a junior.

Peg, as far as pure-bred ; a few years back now, I'd purchased 2 lionheads with papers , and the breeder said that although they were hybrids, they're still considered pure lionheads because one of them was 1/4 nethie and the other was half nethie. I believe some of this was done to make the breed smaller and a bit more compact....

To my newbie eyes, their manes looked like double-manes and they were gorgeous. Both the bun's parents were pure-bred nethies and lionheads, and the pedigree went back for 5 or 6 generations. One of them did well at shows and the other was DQ'd for a white toenail. I didn't breed them so I don't know what their offspring would have looked like.

Couldn't sleep at all tonight and took some time to read your bunnie blog ( Peg's Place ) ; interesting to read - - - and can't believe all the attention you give your bunnies .... not just the care and feeding of them , but getting to know their personalities and needs. :)

"Even the general buck, doe, kit would be useful terms."

Buck - Male, same as a deer or a goat.

Doe - Female, same as a deer or goat.

Kit - A newborn or very young baby

Junior - a Kit that is over 8 weeks, but younger than 6 months.

Intermediate - In large breeds, rabbits that are 6 months to 8 months.

Senior - In large breeds, animals that are over 8 months old. In smaller breeds, animals that are over 6 months old.

Kindle - To give birth.

Leg - A certificate for winning a class with at least 5 rabbits and 3 breeders exhibiting. Example, your doe won 1st Senior Doe out of 5, with three breeders exhibiting, it would receive a leg, so long as the show is sanctioned. It works the same with Best Of Breed. There must be 5 rabbits in the breed, with 3 breeders exhibiting. In order to get a leg for Best Opposite of Breed, there must be 5 in the same sex as the rabbit in the breed.

Registered - Taking a rabbit to an ARBA Registar, providing a complete pedigree with weights, colors, names, and ear numbers. The registar will look the rabbit over, make sure it is not overweight, an has no other DQ's. If it has a fully pedigree, is free of DQ's, and has a tattoo, then the registar will assign it a number, and the rabbit will be entered into a data base in the ARBA.

Grand Champion - A rabbit that has won three legs, with at least one as a senior, and is registered. You send a copy of the legs to the ARBA, along with it's registration, and they send you a certificate of Grand Champion, along with a number.

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
Peg, as far as pure-bred ; a few years back now, I'd purchased 2 lionheads with papers , and the breeder said that although they were hybrids, they're still considered pure lionheads because one of them was 1/4 nethie and the other was half nethie. I believe some of this was done to make the breed smaller and a bit more compact....
To be considered purebred, I believe that a full 4 generation pedigree must be full of the same breed. For instance, every ancestor in a Netherland Dwarf's 4 generation pedigree must a Netherland Dwarf in order for him to be considered a purebred Netherland and able to be registered with the ARBA.:)

I believe that to be considered purebred a rabbit needs a 3 generation pedigree of all the same breed.

When sending in for a GC certificate you cannot send copies of the legs. They need to be the original leg sent by the show secretary. You should keep a copy of them though.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
At least one leg must be won as a senior. They do not need a junior leg.
lol. I should have remembered it was senior because my californians had tons of junior and 6/8 legs but none as a senior. Sorrryyy

Registrar mikey franke said 3

Latest posts

Back