Ren's WILDlife

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Ryan and I ever divorce...I am telling you now I will NEVER marry ever again. Well, I won't have a wedding ever again. Ours was so stressful to plan because of people thinking they have the right to decide what goes on on OUR day. We got married beside the lake and had our reception at the pavilion on the lake grounds (had to pay to rent it out). We had a BBQ style reception and decorated everything with our colors (hot pink, lime green, bright turquoise, bright orange, etc). We ordered cupcakes from Sam's Club (delicious and so cheap!) in coordinating frosting colors and that was our cake ;). We did ask people to dress "summery" since it was a spring/summer wedding....so a lot of the women came in sun dresses and the guys in jeans or slacks with nice shirts. It was a fun day!

Picspam time!

First, I took some new pics of Wendy and Brindam today:

wendybun.jpg

wednd.jpg

Wendy was not terribly impressed by the willow ball. In fact, she basically scooted over and hid behind it. She also bit me in the ankle when I came in to take photos. Yeaaaah... she's not really the most fun or interesting pet. :p

brinny3.jpg

brinny2.jpg

Brindam boxed the heck out of the ball then began chomping on it. And then she started guarding it from me! What a goofy girl.

Next, here's a blast from the past: some of the bunnies of my youth!

wildbns.jpg

One of our wildlife litters :) We get several bunny litters every year. They are very hard to rear, especially if cat caught (which they basically always are, gawd I hate cat owners who let their cats roam). This particular litter actually had a very good success rate, however.

buns.jpg

bun2.jpg

Just a few buns from the fraudulent rescue I talked about on page one :(

wendek.jpg

Wendel, one of our foster buns who went off to live with a friend, and one of only three knownsurvivors from the fraudulent rescue. He's a very spoiled house bun today :)

bunse4.jpg

These two were foster buns way back; they went to a home together.

roger.jpg

Roger! This was my first bunny; we had one rabbit before then that was our sister, but our parents gave her away (knowing she'd be MEAT :grumpy) when they decided to remodel the livingroom... which never happened. Roger was the best though, he was the most gentle, sweet, child-tolerant rabbit I ever met.

petey.jpg

Petey, a geriatric dwarf we rescued from a nasty neglect situation. His nails had never been cut... ever. They had gotten so long while he was a growing bunny that his feet were all twisted and bent permenantly. He was very gentle and great with kids though. We dressed him like Santa every year and brought him to a preschool to teach kids about rabbits.

darwin-1.jpg

darwin2.jpg

Darwin! I bottle raised him from birth because his mom had a broken back and couldn't nurse her kits. He was the only survivor of three and from being inbred had some major health issues and didn't last long (he had an inherent kidney defect on top of skeletal deformities and GI issues). But he was by far my favorite bunny in the world; just a sweet, gentle, playful, affectionate soul.

bubbles.jpg

Bubbles! He had an underbite and thus needed teeth trims, and also had REALLY deformed anogenital area... it looked all kinds of "wtf" down there. He came from our neighbor's hutch; she just let her rabbits breed - and die - like crazy in an overcrowded poopy cage.

jensbunny.jpg

This was my 3rd grade bestfriend's rabbit; I don't know its name because she always just called it "Fat***" haha. She was very friendly and actually had a really nice pen and yard set up, but she was a bit overindulged.

I don't have pics of so many of my bunnies over the years, but this was a fun little revisiting of the past. :)

What was traumatic? The thing about the fradulent rescue (which may not have been on page one... oops)? Or just some of the stuff that happened to several of these bunnies?

A great story and great photos. It is sad to hear about what happend to the buns and thier problems (Especially about the gentials..)

But great to get a peek into the past!

Bubbles thankfully could still pass wastes normally despite the horrible looking genitals, so aside from needing teeth trims constantly, he had a long healthy life :) It does make me sad what so many of them went through before we adopted them though, as well as - frankly - how some of the earlier ones were kept in our care. My parents were very ignorant about rabbits and I being a young child had little say in their fates.

Oh and Myia! I have a photo I uploaded especially for you. It's not good quality but tada! It's my chinchilla Gidget!
gidget.jpg

Bleh. It's finals time, and I'm behind on my work. I've had some issues with my health this semester, and admittedly wasn't really putting my all into schooling as a consequence. It's biting me in the rump something fierce right now. Normally I can tough through it and generate an academic miracle, but... well, frankly I've been seriously depressed for few months now, which interferes with my drive to do much of anything, and on top of it have come down with something nasty! I'm not sure what I'm sick with, but I'm coughing and sneezing like crazy, oozing nastiness from my eyes, have swollen lymph nodes, and have muscle aches all over. Oh, and I've spent most of the last two days sleeping when not at work. No good! I have an unfinished final project due TOMORROW and can't get up the gumption to finish working on it. I never take OTC pharmecueticals for things like colds, but I think I'm going to have to break that behavior if I want to finish this assignment and pass the course, oye x_x

On a less whiny note, because I suppose I haven't the right to whine about a situation of my own making, I am happy to say that Steve's Dumeril's boa is healing up nicely. Did I mention she got hurt? Here's what happened:
Every year, our college holds an Earth Day celebration. We brought some of Learning Gone Wild's education animals, and I also set up a wildlife rehabilitation booth with educational materials. Steve usually brings Big Guy, his adult male Dumeril's boa, along since he is just the most sweet, mellow snake you can imagine. Unfortunately, the female Steve has been trying to breed him with? Far from being the most sweet, mellow snake you can imagine.
When he was pulling the male from their enclosure for the show, she came shooting out of the hide and struck at Steve. The movement of the female must have startled the male, because he struck at HER. Aaaand the next thing you know, we need to wrestle apart two freaked out snakes that are constricting around each other. Not fun by a long shot.
The female had apretty nastybite wound, which we are of course VERY worried about because snakes' mouths harbor some nasty bacteria. But thankfully, we were able to clean and treat the wound promptly, and with 3x daily treatments (which is a BLAST with an ill tempered 6ft constrictor btw), the injury is already looking worlds better with no signs of infection. Plus she ate her rat today, so she can't be too stressed by the whole ordeal.

That minor gaffe aside, Earth Day went well. I managed to get out some good educational information on some important wildlife issues, like not moving firewood, properly containing cats, and how to properly deal with distressed wildlife. Steve's critters were a HUGE hit, though it was a little sad to see just how uneducated many college students are about animals. One girl was shocked to touch the snake and realize it had bones. She apparently thought they didn't have any :?I guess that's why getting them young with the educational programs is so important, though I'm a little shocked by the utter failure of highschool biology in this instance.

I also participated in Beacon Barks this weekend, a fundraiser for local rescues. Local people bring their dogs out for a big parade and to buy pet products and support rescues. Vendors buy booths and the proceeds go to the SPCA, plus rescue orgs are allowed to set up booths to solicit donations. I maybe donated away the last little bit of cash I had left over from vacation :DI was there for my pet sitting company's booth; we got a lot of business cards and flyers out, so hopefully I'll have more work soon (a few hundred bucks a month, while better than nothing, doesn't really cut it).

I was bothered by how many badly bred, untrained, un-neutered pit bulls were at the event, however. I adore pit bulls; they are fantastic dogs. They also presentlymake up the largest population of unwanted, mass-euthanized, most legislatively targetted dogs in the country. When rescues are there trying to scrounge up money to deal with the massive influx of unwanted, neglected, abused pit bulls, it's really a slap in the face to see so many unaltered males and CLEARLY breeding females. One guy was even trying to sell two pit puppies at an event for rescue groups! The effrontery!

Overall, however, it was great to see so many happy dogs and loving owners, and I really hope that the generosity of the donors helped out the local rescues that are really struggling in the face of the economic downturn.

Snakes fighting is a scary thing; I am glad to hear she is doing better!

Education is important..I can't believe some the of the questions I get asked. A lot of people think all snakes are venomous..and no I am not joking.

I am also surpised at those peoples tenacity to bring breeders/unaltered animals...I also don't see why people pay a lot of money for an animal that can easily be found at a rescue. It is pretty sad.

Yeah, it was definitely scary, and Steve feels pretty bad about the whole incident. He's decided to not breed them after all; we've been trying for a while and though we've observed them mating & kept conditions appropriate for breeding, nothing's ever come of it. He got them second hand and the female looks like she's had kindof a rough life (she is covered in burn scars), so he feels she really doesn't need to be put at risk of injury on top of it. It may have been a freak accident, but so long as she has a tendency to strike, there's always the risk it could happen again while they're together.

Of course, Steve's solution to this? "Maybe when we move, she could be one of your pets." Hahahahaha no. The snake is longer than I am tall and very ill tempered. I love animals, don't get me wrong, but I don't have nearly enough snake experience for that. But, I will help him build a second enclosure for her ;)

RandomWiktor wrote:
Of course, Steve's solution to this? "Maybe when we move, she could be one of your pets." Hahahahaha no. The snake is longer than I am tall and very ill tempered. I love animals, don't get me wrong, but I don't have nearly enough snake experience for that. But, I will help him build a second enclosure for her ;)

:rofl:

Hey would you have need for a need for a 10g fish tank? I was wondering if you could get use out of it. Even just for quarantine.

Maybe Ali! Are you sure you don't need it though as an iso or QT tank for any reptiles? BTW, the little lady gecko continues to improve. Today she even chased down some food on her own instead of me waggling it front of her face. I want to see more weight on her, and would like to have her poo double checked for parasites, but things are looking good for mid-May :)

Well, I am DOG sick. I very rarely get colds; I think this is my first cold-type illness in a few years now, but man is it ever kicking my tush! I got a horrible night's sleep because I was coughing and sneezing so often, and the cold meds did nothing but give me an upset stomach. My throat hurts, my muscles ache, my head is pounding, I'm dozing off every few hours, and my eyes and nose are running like a faucet! On top of it, there is now a foreboding rumbling in my stomach that makes me wonder just how likely actually getting to school with this assignment today actually is. I've pre-emptively sent and email to my prof with the whole thing in a zip folder with the warning that hard copies might not arrive today unless I can find some way to drug my ill health into oblivion, as I'm sure my classmates don't want my spraying mucous all over them before taking a long, hard snooze on my desk.

I feel like such a pansy! Normally I go hiking with painful arthritis, walk dogs in the rain with salmonella, give presentations with skyrocketing fevers, etc. This little bug is making me throw up my white flag early, however. Apparently marathon sneezing until I'm dizzy is my achille's heel.

Ok ok. Enough whining. I promise I'll post something "cute critters" rather than "whiny BS" related later today. If I'm not asleep.

Your cold sounds awful. You get a free pass on complaining about it. ;)

I hope you feel better soon.

RandomWiktor wrote:
Maybe Ali! Are you sure you don't need it though as an iso or QT tank for any reptiles? BTW, the little lady gecko continues to improve. Today she even chased down some food on her own instead of me waggling it front of her face. I want to see more weight on her, and would like to have her poo double checked for parasites, but things are looking good for mid-May :)
I am sure! :rofl:Rob may kill me.:whistling Nah we are set. Glad to hear it! I am going nuts, we keep discussing names. :D

Ren, when you are feeling better of course,
do you think you could post a care sheet for bettas, or any tips/suggestions for care?

I could use probably some better information.

Myia, the best care sheet I currently know of can be found here; the only advice I have that deviates from the care sheet is that I feel bettas should NEVER be kept in less than 2.5g, and preferably not less than 5g, even if they can survive in less as I've seen far too many issues related to water quality and temperature fluctuations in small volumes after years on the board. It contains links to more detailed information on almost every subject available, to boot. There is also a very abridged PDF File I made for our advocacy section that you can download. It isn't comprehensive but has important basics like tank size, diet, temperature range, etc. Hope that helps!

I'm still quite sick - perhaps sicker than before. I am having coughing fits so bad that I can't catch my breath, and am maintaining a steady high fever. I'm very concerned about my finals and final papers, but what can I do other than keep my head down and try my best? Hopefully the outcome will be positive.

I am happy to report several positives. One, the black rat snake had a good healthy shed and is now ready for his first meal in my care. Now that he's settled into his environment, he's very friendly and handleable. This makes me pleased as my garter snake Grassman is something of a jerk about handling.

IMG_0140.jpg

Here he is freshly shed with Steve holding him. You can see in this picture how his body is kindof weird and lumpy (the snake, not Steve, lol) from old injuries, poor bugger.

Speaking of Grassman, he's finally over the scale rot he came in with, and was moved into a naturalistic tank with tons of enrichment that's about twice the size of his old tank. It's got a very cool root mass great for climbing and rubbing off sheds, silk leaf litter, a bigger deeper water bowl for hunting livebearers, etc. So I'm very happy about that even if the lil bugger is apt to be totally unappreciative ;)

(Crummy) Pics:
grassmantank.jpg

He must have already explored a lot because the leaf litter used to be a uniform covering, and now pushed all over the place.

grassman2-1.jpg

He's enjoying climbing around, too :)

A friend's vet had some insight into the curious hole in Asha's (leopard gecko) mouth and thinks that she probably didn't get enough vitamin A in her previous home, resulting in the hole consistent with deficiency that keeps allowing bacteria up into her skull to form an abcesses in that pocket. She suggested a beta catotene supplement to see if it aids in healing. That would be great, as currently she is trapped in a cycle of having the abcessed lanced, going on anti-biotics, recovering, then having it re-occur at a later date. Fingers crossed!

Things are gradually being put into motion for the possible purchase of Agama International. The paperwork arrived and looks good, but the main concern of the accountant is that buying a corporation makes you liable for any of their discreapancies. For example, if it is later found that they owe the IRS a ton of money for fraudulent tax claims, WE'D get hammered with that. So we're trying to figure out the best and safest way to go about this. We're still both really hoping that it'll pan out as it is truly an unprecedented opportunity for out futures. I'll keep folks posted.

Finally... it looks like this weekend I'll be transporting Buckley, the rex in the Rescue section of the forum, to his new owner! How exciting. I'll be sure to snap a pic or two of him to share with you guys :) It's about a four hour drive so if I get there early enough I'll try to do something fun up in Syracuse before heading home. They have a zoo so if my fiance comes along we might go there. If so, expect even MORE pics, of course!

I've been to the Syracuse zoo :)

I don't remember a whole lot about it other than I went there to see the wolves.

I just wanted to say, though, that after reading this blog of yours that I am quite surprised to see that you rescue fish. I have never heard of someone rescuing fish! I think its pretty great. I have a gold fish I "selectively rescued" from being fed to a cottonmouth, basically I really liked the looks of this one gold fish out of a bag of 20 feeders and he lives in my fish tank with my other guppies. I also have a betta fish named Caspian II (because Caspian I died )'=) and I just love these guys.

Ok the main reason for posting here is what do you think about betta housing? I see in pet stores these little tiny tiny betta tanks that are like able to hold less than a gallon of water and I really don't think that makes adequate housing for a betta. I don't care if they're able to live in just a puddle, if you're going to keep one as a pet I think you should at least be able to give it a gallon sized fish bowl or even a 5.5 gallon mini aquarium.

Oh and I'd also love to see more pictures of your reptiles ^_^

We actually discuss minimum betta housing and the myths surrounding the betta's natural history a lot on the forum I'm on, and here's a few considerations:
- The natural habitat of Betta splendens consists of swamps, shallow ponds, and sluggish streams. They have also taken to living in rice paddies cultivated by humans. Although these bodies of water are shallow, they are quite expansive, and it isn't uncommon for bettas to claim territories between 1sq ft and 1sq meter depending on population density (we used to have a link to the research on this but it appears to be dead now, grrrr).
- The betta's ability to gulp oxygen is a survival adaptation for the dry season, where bettas sometimes need to take measures as extreme as burrowing into the mud to keep from dessicating! During parts of the year, their native waterways dry up, often confining unlucky fish to the "tiny mud puddles" you hear stores comparing their habitats to. Make no mistake: this isn't their ideal living condition, and mortality rates are higher during these periods due to a lack of prey and diminishing water quality in these pools. It is during the wet season that bettas reproduce, grow, etc.
- Bettas are primarily surface dwellers. Studies of their captive swimming patterns suggest that the overwhelming majority of their time is spent in the upper 1/3 of the container, which is why tall narrow containers like vases or containers with minimal surface area like bowls are considered poor choices.
- Based on this information, the most reasonable housing option for a betta is a wide, shallow container with a volume of water reasonable for maintaining stable water parameters and temperature. Generally, we've found that volumes under 2.5g promote issues for safe heating, and tend to decline in water quality in a matter of days, making them a poor choice of habitat. A few members tested ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels in 1g containers containing bettas and found dangerous levels within three days. This suggests an inappropriate bioload even if it is ABOVE the average size suggested for bettas.
- Finally, bettas demand a densely planted environment with at least one hide for a minimally stressful environment. This is difficult to achieve in small aquaria. Over-exposure to light (their native waters are not only shaded, but darkened by tanins) and a lack of suitable hiding places is most likely correlated with stress related illness as it keeps the fish outside of their ideal living conditions. So, any betta aquarium should be large enough to provide both sufficient swimming space AND adequate hiding space.

Our members have a general consensus that 5 gallons is probably the preferred minimum gallonage, with 2.5g acceptable but not ideal. Furthermore, larger footprints are preferred over smaller ones regardless of gallonage.

My rescued bettas, due to space contraints, live in 3 gallon bins; if I had this to do over again, I would never go less than five gallons. However, these bins were selected very deliberately because their footprint has a greater area than that of a 5.5g AGA aquarium, maximizing swimming space even if gallonage isn't ideal.

I hope that answers your question! :)

tiresias.jpg

This is Tiresias. She is a 3+ year old, completely blind, extremely aggressive female parakeet. Her hobbies include beating up cagemates until she is condemned to solitary confinement, attacking caregivers, and recently, worrying me to death. About three months ago she started laying eggs out of the blue. Psittacines aren't like chickens; they don't just pump out eggs willy-nilly for no darn good reason, and when they DO lay eggs in the captive environment, it's cause for concern since the hormonal changes that inspire egg laying can have negative implications for health without a natural schedule and outlet. Egg binding and deficiencies are common complications, and budgies are a wee bit notorious for the former. So needless to say, I'm worried.

Here's the thing: egg laying in captive parrots usually has a trigger. It's normally something like a mate, a cuddly cage toy that's been sexualized, a dramatic change in photoperiod, the presence of a nest box, etc. Tiresias not only doesn't have a mate but lacks a cagemate. She doesn't have any cuddle toys or nesting boxes. The photoperiod hasn't changed, but... she's blind, would it matter if it did? So it's a big obnoxious mystery to me that she's laying eggs. Today she even laid TWO, which is not the norm. Whip out those "concerned" crayons and color me.

I'm trying to see if anyone on the parrot forum has any insight, and I'm probably going to talk to my vet about seeing if she should be on any special supplements. I have made it a point to give her more calcium and protein during this time because I don't want her getting depleted, but I'm also not comfortable mucking around with her nutrition much as I'd hate to cause calcium deposits or kidney problems. Birds, what a pest!

Thankfully, the days of pesky goldfish seem to be finally coming to a close. Uggo, after a brief time on his own with some extra TLC, seems to not be having the same issues that were plauging him over the last few months, which I'm happy to see. And I think it's helpful to him to have someone his own size to interact with; Cortex and Fogarty are both about double his size and thus probably a little stressful to live with. Now that he has Cali to pester (lol) he seems overall much more active, perky, and responsive. I'm excited by the thought of the potential move to Alabama because it will enable me to keep them outdoors year-round (gets too cold for too long to safely keep fancies outdoors in NY) - which means a 300g stock pond for them!

I don't think I ever posted pics of Cali; she's the newbie fantail I adopted a month or so ago from someone on CL who was having issues with her being relentlessly harassed by an all-males tank. Here she is; she's quite the looker if I say so myself!

cali.jpg

Back